Reactivities of aluminium and aluminium-magnesium alloy powders in polymeric composites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Polymeric compositions containing Al-Mg alloys show higher reactivities, in comparison with similar compositions containing aluminium. This is observed irrespective of the amount of oxidizer, type of oxidizer used, type of polymeric binder, and over a range of the particle sizes of the metal additive. This is evident from the higher calorimetric values obtained for compositions containing the alloy, in comparison to samples containing aluminium. Analysis of the combustion residue shows the increase in calorimetric value to be due to the greater extent of oxidation of the alloy. The interaction between the polymeric binder and the alloy was studied by coating the metal particles with the polymer by a coacervation technique. On ageing in the presence of ammonium perchlorate, cracking of the polymer coating on the alloy was noticed. This was deduced from differential thermal analysis experiments, and confirmed by scanning electron microscopic observations. The increase in stiffness of the coating, leading to cracking, has been traced to the cross-linking of the polymer by magnesium.
- Merzhanov, A. G., Borovinskaya, I. P. (1972) Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR 204: pp. 366
- Frankhouser, W. L., Brendley, K. W., Kieszek, M. C., Sullivan, S. T. (1985) Gasless Combustion Synthesis of Refractory Compounds. Noyes, New Jersey
- Munir, Z. A. (1988) Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 67: pp. 342
- Verneker, V. R. Pai, Deevi, Sarojini, Deevi, Seetharama C. (1987) Combust. Flame 67: pp. 163
- T. L. Fritzlen, US Pat. 3044 911, 17 July 1962, 4pp.
- Breiter, A. I., Kashprov, L. YA., Malt'sev, V. M., Pokhil, P. F., Popov, W. I., Pepekin, V. I., Stasenko, A. G. (1971) Combust. Explos. Shock Waves. 7: pp. 186
- J. R. Simms, B. Y. S. Lee and J. E. Crump, AIAA paper 66–616 (1966).
- Cohen, N. S. (1969) AIAA J. 7: pp. 1345
- N. S. Cohen and R. L. Derr, NASACR-111813, 1 November 1970.
- G. B. Northam and E. M. Sullivan, 9th JANNAF Combustion Meeting”, Monterey, CA, September 1972.
- Pai Verneker, V. R., Seetharamacharyulu, D., Mallya, R. M. (1979) J. Spacecr. Rockets 16: pp. 436
- Sparks, R. E. (1981) “Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology”, Vol. 15. Wiley-Interscience, New York
- Verneker, V. R. Pai, Seetharamacharyulu, D., Mallya, R. M. (1981) J. Solid State Chem. 39: pp. 154
- Jacobs, P. W. M., Whitehead, H. M. (1969) Chem. Rev. 69: pp. 551
- Dyer, J. R. (1965) Applications of absorption spectroscopy of organic compounds. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- W. B. Pearson, “Handbook of Lattice Spacings in Metals and Alloys” (1958).
- Skinner, H. A. eds. (1962) “Experimental Thermochemistry”, Vol. II. Interscience, New York, London
- Pilling, N. B., Bedworth, R. E. (1923) J. Inst. Metals 29: pp. 529
- Malt'Sev, V. M., Chistyakov, YU. D., Tsypin, M. I. (1956) Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. 20: pp. 824
- Deevi, Sarojini, Kishore, K., Pai Verneker, V. R. (1989) J. Propuls. Power 5: pp. 411
- M. Morton, in “Developments in Polymerizations-3” (Developments Series) edited by R. N. Haward (Applied Science Publishers, 1982).
- Reactivities of aluminium and aluminium-magnesium alloy powders in polymeric composites
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 31, Issue 4 , pp 1043-1051
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors