Feeding ecology of the loggerhead sea turtle Caretta caretta in the Northwestern Gulf of Mexico
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Digestive tract contents collected from carcasses of 82 loggerhead sea turles (Caretta caretta) found on the south Texas coast from 1986 through 1988 were examined. Benthic invertebrates were the predominant prey. Sea pens (Virgularia presbytes), crabs, and mollusks accounted for 94% of the dry weight of the digestive tract samples. Temporal changes in the percent occurrence and percent dry weight of sea pens, crabs, and mollusks in the digestive tract samples were significant. Loggerheads fed primarily on sea pens during spring, then primarily on crabs during summer and fall. The increase of crabs in the loggerhead diet paralleled the annual increase in the abundance of crabs in the Gulf of Mexico. Sea pens were located nearshore at depths of 6 to 12 m and had a disjunct distribution.
- Bjorndal, K. A. (1985) Nutritional ecology of sea turtles. Copeia 1985: pp. 736-751
- Dodd, C. K. (1988) Synopsis of the biological data on the loggerhead sea turtle Caretta caretta (Linaeus, 1758). U.S. Fish Wild. Serv., biol. Rep. 88: pp. 1-110
- Fotheringham, N. (1980) Beachcomber's guide to Gulf coast marine life. Gulf Publishing Co., Houston, Texas
- Fritts, T. H., Irvine, A. B., Jennings, R. D., Collum, L. A., Hoffman, W., McGehee, M. A. (1983) Turtles, birds, and mammals in the northern Gulf of Mexico and nearby waters. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Serivce, Division of Biological Services, Washington, D.C.
- Hildebrand, H. H. Random notes on sea turtles in the western Gulf of Mexico. In: Owens, D. W. eds. (1983) Western Gulf of Mexico Sea Turtle Workshop Proceedings. Sea Grant, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, pp. 34-41
- Lohoefener, R., Hoggard, W., Mullin, K., Roden, C., Rogers, C. (1990) Association of sea turtles with petroleum platforms in the north-central Gulf of Mexico. U.S. Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service, Gulf of Mexico OCS Regional Office, New Orleans, La
- Meylan, A. B. (1984) The feeding ecology of the hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata): spongivory as a feeding niche in the coral reef community. University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Meyland, A. B. (1988) Spongivory in hawksbill turtles: a diet of glass. Science, N.Y. 239: pp. 393-395
- Mortimer, J. A. (1981) The feeding ecology of the West Caribbean green turtle (Chelonia mydas) in Nicaragua. Biotropica 13: pp. 49-58
- Mortimer, J. A. Feeding ecology of sea turtles. In: Bjorndal, K. A. eds. (1982) Biology and conservation of sea turtles. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C.
- Plotkin, P. T. (1989) Feeding ecology of the loggerhead sea turtle in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico. Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Plotkin, P. T., Amos, A. F. (1990) Effect of anthropogenic debris on sea turtles in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico. NOAA natn. mar. Fish. Serv. tech. Memo U.S. Dep. Comm. NMFS-SWFSC 154: pp. 736-743
- Rabalais, S. C. Sea turtle stranding and salvage research. In: Owens, D. W. eds. (1983) Western Gulf of Mexico sea turtle workshop proceedings. Sea Grant, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, pp. 42-43
- Rabalais, S. C., Rabalais, N. N. (1980) The occurrence of sea turtles on the south Texas coast. Contr. mar. Sci. Univ. Tex. 23: pp. 123-129
- Rosman, I., Boland, G. S., Martin, L. R., Chandler, C. R. (1987) Underwater sightings of sea turtles in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service, Gulf of Mexico OCE Regional Office, New Orleans, La
- Shaver, D. J. (1991) Feeding ecology of wild and head-started Kemp's ridley sea turtles in south Texas waters. J. Herpetol. 25: pp. 327-334
- Stanley, K. M., Stabenau, E. K., Landry, A. M. (1988). Debris ingestion by sea turtles along the Texas coast. In: Schroeder, B. A. (ed.) Proceedings of the eighth annual workshop on sea turtle conservation and biology. NOAA natn. mar. Fish. Serv. tech. Memo U.S. Dep. Commerce NMFS-SEFC-214: 119–121
- Williams, A. B. (1984) Shrimps, lobsters, and crabs of the Atlantic coast of the eastern United States, Maine to Florida. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C.
- Wolke, R. E., George, A. (1981) Sea turtle necropsy manual. NOAA natn. mar. Fish. Serv. tech. Memo U.S. Dep. Commerce NMFS-SEFC 24: pp. 1-24
- Feeding ecology of the loggerhead sea turtle Caretta caretta in the Northwestern Gulf of Mexico
Volume 115, Issue 1 , pp 1-5
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors