A male pseudohermaphrodite with a dicentric Y chromosome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 13-year-old male pseudohermaphrodite (mixed gonadal dysgenesis, unilateral testicular differentiation) was found to be a chromosomal mosaic of the 45, XO/46, XY type, the Y chromosome being a symmetrical dicentric chromosome. Presumed Y chromosomes similar to this one have been observed before, but their identification was not supported by autoradiographic data. In the present study the identification of the dicentric as a Y chromosome was supported by observing a relatively late DNA replication during the S period. The differentiation of testicular tissue on one side may be related to the presence of short arm material of the Y chromosome in the genome of the XY dic cells.
- Atkins, L., and B. Santesson: The pattern of DNA synthesis in the chromosomes of human cells containing an isochromosome for the long arm of an X chromosome. Hereditas (Lund) 51, 67–73 (1964).
- Conen, P. E., J. D. Bailey, W. H. Allemang, D. W. Thompson, and C. Ezrin: A probable partial deletion of the Y chromosome in an intersex patient. Lancet 1961 II, 294–295.
- —, A. G. Bell, and N. Aspin. Chromosomal aberration in an infant following the use of diagnostic X-Rays. Pediatrics 31 72–79 (1963).
- Court Browns, W. M.: Human Population Cytogenetics, vol 5 of “Frontiers of Biology”. A. Neuberger, and E. L. Tatum, ed. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publ. Co. 1967.
- De la Chapelle, A., J. Wennström, H. Hortling, and C. H. Ockey: Isochromosome-X in man. Part I. Hereditas (Lund) 54, 260–276 (1966).
- Ferguson-Smith, M. A.: Karyotype-phenotype correlations in gonadal dysgenesis and their bearing on the pathogenesis of malformations. J. Med. Genet. 2, 142–155 (1965).
- Ferrier, P., S. M. Gartler, S. H. Waxman, and T. H. Shepard: Abnormal sexual development associated with sex chromosome mosaicism. Report of three cases. Pediatrics 29, 703–713 (1962).
- Fraccaro, M., M. G. Bott, F. M. Salzano, R. W. Ross Russell, and W. I. Cranston: Triple chromosomal mosaic in a woman with clinical evidence of masculinisation. Lancet 1962 I, 1379–1381.
- German, J.: The pattern of DNA synthesis in the chromosomes of human blood cells. J. cell Biol. 20, 37–55 (1964).
- German, J. L., O. J. Miller, J. Rowley, and W. Schmid: Notes on Autoradiography. Appendix A, Chicago Conference on Standardization in Human Cytogenetics. In D. Bergsma, ed.: Birth Defects, orginal articles series, vol. II, No 2. The National Foundation-March of Dimes, New York 1966.
- Harnden, D. G., and S. Brunton: The skin culture technique, p. 57–73 in J. J. Yunis, ed.: Human Chromosome Methodology. New York: Academic Press 1965.
- Jacobs, P. A., M. Brunton, and W. M. Court Brown: Cytogenetic studies in leucocytes on the general population: subjects of ages 65 years and more. Ann. hum. Genet. (Lond.) 27, 353–365 (1964).
- —, and A. Ross: Structural abnormalities of the Y chromosome in man. Nature (Lond.) 210, 352–354 (1966).
- Klevit, H. D., W. J. Mellman, and W. R. Eberlein: Triple mosaicism with an isochromosome derived from a partially deleted Y in a male pseudohermaphrodite. Pediatrics 32, 56–62 (1963).
- McIlree, M. E., W. H. Price, W. M. Court Browns, W. S. Tulloch, J. E. Newsam, and N. Maclean: Chromosome studies on testicular cells from 50 subfertile men Lancet 1966 II, 69–71.
- Moorhead, P. S., P. C. Nowell, W. J. Mellman, D. M. Battips, and D. A. Hungerford: Chromosome preparations of leucocytes cultured from human peripheral blood. Exp. Cell Res. 20, 613–616 (1960).
- Muldal, S., C. W. Gilbert, L. G. Lajtha, J. Lindsten, J. Rowley, and M. Fraccaro: Tritiated thymidine incorporation in an isochromosome for the long arm of the X chromosome in man. Lancet 1963 I, 861–863.
- Muldal, S., and C. H. Ockey: Deletion of Y chromosome in a family with muscular dystrophy and hypospadias. Brit. med. J. 1962 I, 291–294.
- Nakagome, Y., M. Sasaki, I. Matsui, M. Kawazura, and Y. Fukuyama: A mentally retarded boy with a minute Y chromosome. J. Pediatrics 67, 1163–1167 (1965).
- Nasjleti, C. E., and H. H. Spencer: Chromosome polyploidization in human leukocyte cultures treated with streptonigrin and cyclophosphamide. Cancer 20, 31–35 (1967).
- Oikawa, K., and R. M. Blizzard: Chromosomal studies of patients with congenital anomalies simulating those of gonadal aplasia, including a case of true gonaldal and sex reversal. New Engl. J. Med. 264, 1009–1016 (1961).
- Polani, P. E.: Personal communication (1967).
- Schmickel, R.: Chromosome aberrations in leukocytes exposed in vitro to diagnostic levels of X Rays. Amer. J. hum. Genet. 19, 1–11 (1967).
- Sohval, A. R.: “Mixed” Gonadal Dysgenesis: a variety of hermaphroditism. Amer. J. hum. Genet. 15, 155–158 (1963).
- Solomon, I. L., C. W. Hamm, and O. C. Green: Chromosome studies on testicular tissue cultures and blood leukocytes of a male previously reported to have no Y chromosome. New Engl. J. Med. 271, 586–592 (1964).
- Starkman, M. N., and R. B. Jaffe: Chromosome aberrations in XO/XY mosaic individuals and their fathers. Amer. J. Obstet. Gynec. 99, 1056–1066 (1967).
- Stoeckenius, M.: A probable Y isochromosome in father and son of tall stature. Lancet 1966 II, 391.
- Tough, I. M., K. E. Buckton, A. G. Baikie, and W. M. Court Brown: X-Ray induced chromosome damage in man. Lancet 1960 II, 849–851.
- Vaharu, T., R. G. Patton, M. L. Voorhess, and L. I. Gardner: Gonadal dysplasia and enlarged phallus in a girl with 45 chromosomes plus “fragment”. Lancet 1961 I, 1351.
- Yunis, J. J.: Human Chromosome Methodology, p. 208. New York-London: Academic Press 1965.
- A male pseudohermaphrodite with a dicentric Y chromosome
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 131-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors