A male pseudohermaphrodite with a dicentric Y chromosome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 13-year-old male pseudohermaphrodite (mixed gonadal dysgenesis, unilateral testicular differentiation) was found to be a chromosomal mosaic of the 45, XO/46, XY type, the Y chromosome being a symmetrical dicentric chromosome. Presumed Y chromosomes similar to this one have been observed before, but their identification was not supported by autoradiographic data. In the present study the identification of the dicentric as a Y chromosome was supported by observing a relatively late DNA replication during the S period. The differentiation of testicular tissue on one side may be related to the presence of short arm material of the Y chromosome in the genome of the XY dic cells.
- Atkins, L., Santesson, B. (1964) The pattern of DNA synthesis in the chromosomes of human cells containing an isochromosome for the long arm of an X chromosome. Hereditas (Lund) 51: pp. 67-73
- Conen, P. E., J. D. Bailey, W. H. Allemang, D. W. Thompson, and C. Ezrin: A probable partial deletion of the Y chromosome in an intersex patient. Lancet 1961 II, 294–295.
- Conen, P. E., Bell, A. G., Aspin, N. (1963) Chromosomal aberration in an infant following the use of diagnostic X-Rays. Pediatrics 31: pp. 72-79
- Court Browns, W. M. Human Population Cytogenetics. In: Neuberger, A., Tatum, E. L. eds. (1967) Frontiers of Biology. North-Holland Publ. Co., Amsterdam
- Chapelle, A., Wennström, J., Hortling, H., Ockey, C. H. (1966) Isochromosome-X in man. Part I. Hereditas (Lund) 54: pp. 260-276
- Ferguson-Smith, M. A. (1965) Karyotype-phenotype correlations in gonadal dysgenesis and their bearing on the pathogenesis of malformations. J. Med. Genet. 2: pp. 142-155
- Ferrier, P., Gartler, S. M., Waxman, S. H., Shepard, T. H. (1962) Abnormal sexual development associated with sex chromosome mosaicism. Report of three cases. Pediatrics 29: pp. 703-713
- Fraccaro, M., M. G. Bott, F. M. Salzano, R. W. Ross Russell, and W. I. Cranston: Triple chromosomal mosaic in a woman with clinical evidence of masculinisation. Lancet 1962 I, 1379–1381.
- German, J. (1964) The pattern of DNA synthesis in the chromosomes of human blood cells. J. cell Biol. 20: pp. 37-55
- German, J. L., Miller, O. J., Rowley, J., Schmid, W. Notes on Autoradiography. Appendix A, Chicago Conference on Standardization in Human Cytogenetics. In: Bergsma, D. eds. (1966) Birth Defects, orginal articles series, vol. II. The National Foundation-March of Dimes, New York
- Harnden, D. G., Brunton, S. The skin culture technique. In: Yunis, J. J. eds. (1965) Human Chromosome Methodology. Academic Press, New York, pp. 57-73
- Jacobs, P. A., Brunton, M., Court Brown, W. M. (1964) Cytogenetic studies in leucocytes on the general population: subjects of ages 65 years and more. Ann. hum. Genet. (Lond.) 27: pp. 353-365
- Jacobs, P. A., Ross, A. (1966) Structural abnormalities of the Y chromosome in man. Nature (Lond.) 210: pp. 352-354
- Klevit, H. D., Mellman, W. J., Eberlein, W. R. (1963) Triple mosaicism with an isochromosome derived from a partially deleted Y in a male pseudohermaphrodite. Pediatrics 32: pp. 56-62
- McIlree, M. E., W. H. Price, W. M. Court Browns, W. S. Tulloch, J. E. Newsam, and N. Maclean: Chromosome studies on testicular cells from 50 subfertile men Lancet 1966 II, 69–71.
- Moorhead, P. S., Nowell, P. C., Mellman, W. J., Battips, D. M., Hungerford, D. A. (1960) Chromosome preparations of leucocytes cultured from human peripheral blood. Exp. Cell Res. 20: pp. 613-616
- Muldal, S., C. W. Gilbert, L. G. Lajtha, J. Lindsten, J. Rowley, and M. Fraccaro: Tritiated thymidine incorporation in an isochromosome for the long arm of the X chromosome in man. Lancet 1963 I, 861–863.
- Muldal, S., and C. H. Ockey: Deletion of Y chromosome in a family with muscular dystrophy and hypospadias. Brit. med. J. 1962 I, 291–294.
- Nakagome, Y., Sasaki, M., Matsui, I., Kawazura, M., Fukuyama, Y. (1965) A mentally retarded boy with a minute Y chromosome. J. Pediatrics 67: pp. 1163-1167
- Nasjleti, C. E., Spencer, H. H. (1967) Chromosome polyploidization in human leukocyte cultures treated with streptonigrin and cyclophosphamide. Cancer 20: pp. 31-35
- Oikawa, K., Blizzard, R. M. (1961) Chromosomal studies of patients with congenital anomalies simulating those of gonadal aplasia, including a case of true gonaldal and sex reversal. New Engl. J. Med. 264: pp. 1009-1016
- Polani, P. E.: Personal communication (1967).
- Schmickel, R. (1967) Chromosome aberrations in leukocytes exposed in vitro to diagnostic levels of X Rays. Amer. J. hum. Genet. 19: pp. 1-11
- Sohval, A. R. (1963) “Mixed” Gonadal Dysgenesis: a variety of hermaphroditism. Amer. J. hum. Genet. 15: pp. 155-158
- Solomon, I. L., Hamm, C. W., Green, O. C. (1964) Chromosome studies on testicular tissue cultures and blood leukocytes of a male previously reported to have no Y chromosome. New Engl. J. Med. 271: pp. 586-592
- Starkman, M. N., Jaffe, R. B. (1967) Chromosome aberrations in XO/XY mosaic individuals and their fathers. Amer. J. Obstet. Gynec. 99: pp. 1056-1066
- Stoeckenius, M.: A probable Y isochromosome in father and son of tall stature. Lancet 1966 II, 391.
- Tough, I. M., K. E. Buckton, A. G. Baikie, and W. M. Court Brown: X-Ray induced chromosome damage in man. Lancet 1960 II, 849–851.
- Vaharu, T., R. G. Patton, M. L. Voorhess, and L. I. Gardner: Gonadal dysplasia and enlarged phallus in a girl with 45 chromosomes plus “fragment”. Lancet 1961 I, 1351.
- Yunis, J. J. (1965) Human Chromosome Methodology. Academic Press, New York-London
- A male pseudohermaphrodite with a dicentric Y chromosome
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 131-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors