Comparative bioavailability of a cisapride suppository and tablet formulation in healthy volunteers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The comparative bioavailability of cisapride as a 30 mg suppository and three 5 mg oral tablets was investigated in 12 non-smoking, healthy male volunteers. The two formulations were administered on two separate occasions following an overnight fast, according to a randomized cross-over design. The plasma concentration of cisapride was measured over 48 h after drug administration. The 30 mg suppository exhibited a mean time to the peak plasma concentration of 3.8 h, while the tablets showed a significantly earlier peak time of 1.5 h. The maximum plasma concentration of cisapride after the 30 mg suppository (50.3 ng · ml−1) was significantly lower than after the tablets (74.3 ng · ml−1). The AUCs following the two treatments did not differ significantly from each other.
The comparative bioavailability of the 30 mg cisapride suppository in relation to the three 5 mg oral tablets was 85%, with a 95%-confidence interval of 67% to 102% (not adjusted for dose). Normalizing the mean AUC by dose, the relative bioavailability of the suppository was 43% of that of the tablet. The elimination half-life of cisapride was not significantly different following the administration of the two formulations (9.3 h for the suppository and 9.8 h for the tablet).
- McCullum RW, Prakash C, Campoli-Richards DM, Goa KL (1988) Cisapride. A preliminary review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, and therapeutic use as a prokinetic agent in gastrointestinal motility disorders. Drugs 36: 625–681
- Fraitag B, Cloarec D, Galmiche JP (1989) Cisapride: pharmacology, current therapeutic results and future prospects. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 13: 265–276
- Meuldermans W, Van Peer A, Hendrickx J, Lauwers W, Swysen E, Bockx M, Woestenborghs R, Heykants J (1988) Excretion and biotransformation of cisapride in dogs and humans after oral administration. Drug Metab Dispos 16: 403–409
- Woestenborghs R, Lorreyne W, Van Rompaey F, Heykants J (1988) Determination of cisapride in plasma and animal tissues by high performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr: 424, 195–200
- SAS User's Guide: (1985) Statistics, version 5 ed. SAS Institute, Cary, N.C.
- Steinijans VW, Diletti E (1983) Statistical analysis of bioavailability studies: parametric and nonparametric confidence intervals. Eur J Clin Pharmacol: 24, 127–136
- Van Peer A, Woestenborghs R, Verlinden M, Meuldermans W, Heykants J (1986) Pharmacokinetics of cisapride in healthy volunteers. Digestion: 34: 130
- Comparative bioavailability of a cisapride suppository and tablet formulation in healthy volunteers
European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 38, Issue 6 , pp 629-631
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Sahlgren's University Hospital, Sweden
- 2. Department of Clinical Research, Ianssen Pharma AB, Göteborg, Sweden
- 3. Department of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, Janssen Research Foundation, Beerse, Belgium