The principle of minimal gravitational coupling
- Ian M. Anderson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The principle of minimal gravitational coupling requires that the total Lagrangian for the field equations of general relativity consist of two additive parts, one part corresponding to the free gravitational Lagrangian and the other part to external source fields in curved spacetime. For source fields characterized by scalars, vectors and two-component spinors we prove that this additive decomposition of the total Lagrangian is an inevitable consequence of certain very general assumptions concerning the Euler-Lagrange expressions arising from the total Lagrangian.
- Anderson, I. M., Mathematical foundations of the Einstein field equations. Ph. D. Thesis (unpublished), University of Arizona (1976).
- Anderson, I. M. (1978) Tensorial Euler-Lagrange expressions and conservation laws. Aequations Mathematicae 17: pp. 255-291
- Anderson, I. M. (1978) On the structure of divergence-free tensors. J. Math. Phys. 19: pp. 2570-2575
- Aragone, C., Deser, S. (1971) Constraints on gravitationally coupled tensor fields. II. Nuovo Cimento 3 A N. 4: pp. 709-720
- Corson, E. M. (1955) An Introduction to Tensors, Spinors and Relativistic Wave Equations. Blackie and Son, Ldt., London
- Plessis, J. C. (1969) Tensorial concomitants and conservation laws. Tensor 20: pp. 347-360
- Einstein, A., Hamiltonsches Prinzip der allgemeinen Relativitätstheorie. Sitzber. Preuss. Akad. Wiss., 1916, 1111–1116.
- Horndeski, G. W. (1976) Tensorial concomitants of relative tensors and linear connections. Utilitas Math. 9: pp. 3-31
- Horndeski, G. W., Lovelock, D. (1972) Scalar tensor field theories. Tensor 24: pp. 79-92
- Lovelock, D. (1969) The uniqueness of the Einstein field equations in a four-dimensional space. Arch. Rational Mech. Analy. 33: pp. 54-70
- Lovelock, D. (1971) The Einstein tensor and its generalizations. J. Math. Phys. 12: pp. 498-501
- Misner, C. W., Thorne, K. S., Wheeler, J. A. (1973) Gravitation. W. H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco
- Pirani, F. A. E. Lectures in General Relativity. In: Deser, S., Fords, K. W. eds. (1965) Brandeis Summer Institute in Theoretical Physics, Volume 1. Prentice Hall, Englewood, NJ.
- Rund, H. (1966) Variational problems involving combined tensor fields. Abb. Math. Sem. Univ. Hamburg 29: pp. 243-262
- Rund, H., Lovelock, D. (1972) Variational principles in the general theory of relativity. Jber. Deutsch. Math. Verein. 74: pp. 1-65
- Wainwright, J. (1968) Invariance properties of spinor Lagrangians. I.. Tensor 19: pp. 217-232
- The principle of minimal gravitational coupling
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 75, Issue 4 , pp 349-372
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Ian M. Anderson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Utah State University, Logan, Utah