A partial differential equation with infinitely many periodic orbits: Chaotic oscillations of a forced beam
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper delineates a class of time-periodically perturbed evolution equations in a Banach space whose associated Poincaré map contains a Smale horseshoe. This implies that such systems possess periodic orbits with arbitrarily high period. The method uses techniques originally due to Melnikov and applies to systems of the form x=f o(X)+εf 1(X,t), where f o(X) is Hamiltonian and has a homoclinic orbit. We give an example from structural mechanics: sinusoidally forced vibrations of a buckled beam.
- R. Abraham & J. Marsden  “Foundations of Mechanics,” 2nd Edition, Addison-Wesley.
- V. Arnold  Instability of dynamical systems with several degrees of freedom. Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR 156, 9–12.
- V. Arnold  Sur la géometrie différentielle des groupes de Lie de dimension infinie et ses applications à l'hydrodynomique des fluides parfaits. Ann. Inst. Fourier, Grenoble 16, 319–361.
- J. Carr  Application of Center Manifolds, Springer Applied Math. Sciences (to appear).
- J. Carr & M. Z. H. Malhardeen  Beck's problem, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 37, 261–262.
- P. Chernoff & J. Marsden  “Properties of Infinite Dimensional Hamiltonian Systems,” Springer Lecture Notes in Math., no. 425.
- S. N. Chow, J. Hale & J. Mallet-Paret  An example of bifurcation to homoclinic orbits, J. Diff. Eqn's. 37, 351–373.
- C. Conley & J. Smoller  On the structure of magneto hydrodynamic shock waves, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 27, 367–375, J. Math. of Pures et. Appl. 54 (1975) 429–444.
- D. Ebin & J. Marsden  Groups of diffeomorphisms and the motion of an incompressible fluid, Ann. of Math. 92, 102–163.
- J. Gollub  The onset of turbulence: convection, surface waves, and oscillators, Springer Lecture Notes in Physics.
- J. Guckenheimer  On a codimension two bifurcation (preprint).
- O. Gurel & O. Rössler (eds)  “Bifurcation theory and applications in scientific disciplines,” Ann. of N.Y. Acad. Sciences, vol. 316.
- B. Hassard  Computation of invariant manifolds, in Proc. “New Approaches to Nonlinear Problems in Dynamics”, ed. P. Holmes, SIAM publications.
- E. Hille & R. Phillips  “Functional Analysis and Semigroups”, A.M.S. Colloq. Publ.
- M. Hirsch, C. Pugh & M. Shub  “Invariant Manifolds”, Springer Lecture Notes in Math. no. 583.
- P. Holmes [1979a] Global bifurcations and chaos in the forced oscillations of buckled structures, Proc. 1978 IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, San Diego, CA, 181–185.
- P. Holmes [1979b] A nonlinear oscillator with a strange attractor, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. A 292, 419–448.
- P. Holmes [1980a] Averaging and chaotic motions in forced oscillations, SIAM J. on Appl. Math. 38, 65–80.
- P. Holmes [1980b] Space and time-periodic perturbations of the sine-Gordon equation (preprint).
- P. Holmes & J. Marsden  Bifurcation to divergence and flutter in flow induced oscillations; an infinite dimensional analysis, Automatica 14, 367–384.
- P. Holmes & J. Marsden  Qualitative techniques for bifurcation analysis of complex systems, in Gurel & Rössler , 608–622.
- T. Kato  “Perturbation Theory for Linear Operators” 2nd Ed., Springer.
- N. Kopell & L. N. Howard  Bifurcations and trajectories joining critical points, Adv. Math. 18, 306–358.
- M. Levi, F. C. Hoppenstadt & W. L. Miranker  Dynamics of the Josephson junction, Quart. of Appl. Math. 36, 167–198.
- V. K. Melnikov  On the stability of the center for time periodic perturbations, Trans. Moscow Math. Soc. 12, 1–57.
- F. Moon & P. Holmes  A magneto-elastic strange attractor, J. Sound and Vibrations 65, 275–296.
- J. Moser  “Stable and Random Motions in Dynamical Systems,” Ann. of Math. Studies no. 77, Princeton Univ. Press.
- S. Newhouse  Diffeomorphisms with infinitely many sinks, Topology 12, 9–18.
- S. Newhouse  The abundance of wild hyperbolic sets and non-smooth stable sets for diffeomorphisms, Publ. I.H.E.S. 50, 100–151.
- J. Rauch  Qualitative behavior of dissipative wave equations. Arch. Rational Mech. An. 62, 77–91.
- J. Robbin  A structural stability theorem, Ann. of Math. 94, 447–493.
- I. Segal  Nonlinear Semigroups, Ann. of Math. 78, 334–362.
- Y. Shizuta  On the classical solutions of the Boltzmann equations, Comm. Pure. Appl. Math. (to appear).
- S. Smale  Diffeomorphisms with many periodic points, in “Differential and Combinatorial Topology” (ed. S. S. Cairns), Princeton Univ. Press, 63–80.
- S. Smale  Differentiable dynamical systems, Bull. Am. Math. Soc. 73, 747–817.
- W. Y. Tseng & J. Dugundji  Nonlinear vibrations of a buckled beam under harmonic excitation. J. Appl. Mech. 38, 467–476.
- I. Vidav  Spectra of perturbed semigroups, J. Math. An. Appl. 30, 264–279.
- A partial differential equation with infinitely many periodic orbits: Chaotic oscillations of a forced beam
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 76, Issue 2 , pp 135-165
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors