The stability analysis of an inflexion-free velocity profile and its application to the night-time boundary layer in the atmosphere
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The characteristics of waves excited in a stratified shear flow with a velocity profile monotonically increasing above the ground are calculated numerically. It is shown that unstable modes exist when the Brunt-Väisälä frequency of the ambient atmosphere decreases sufficiently fast with height. Their growth rates as a function of the horizontal wavelength and the local Richardson number are given, and a comparison between them and experimental data obtained for the night-time-boundary layer of the Earth's atmosphere is carried out. Finally, the characteristics of the singular neutral modes that the system can support are presented.
- Acton, F. S. (1970) Numerical Methods that Work. Harper and Row, Publishers, New York
- Bulirsch, R., Stoer, J. (1966) Numerical Treatment of Ordinary Differential Equations by Extrapolation Methods. Num. Math. 8: pp. 1-13
- Case, K. M. (1960) Stability of an Idealized Atmosphere. I: Discussion of Results. Phys. Fluids 3: pp. 149-154
- Chimonas, G. (1970) The Extension of the Miles-Howard Theorem to Compressible Flows. J. Fluid Mech. 43: pp. 833-836
- Chimonas, G. (1972) The Stability of a Coupled Wave-Turbulence System in a Parallel Shear Flow. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 2: pp. 444-452
- Chimonas, G. (1974) Considerations of the Stability of Certain Heterogeneous Shear Flows Including Some Inflexion-free Profiles. J. Fluid Mech. 65: pp. 65-69
- Einaudi, F. and Lalas, D. P.: 1976, The Effect of Boundaries on the Stability of Inviscid Stratified Shear Flows, accepted for publication in J. Appl. Mech.
- Emmanuel, C. B., Bean, B. R., McAllister, L. G., Pollard, J. R. (1972) Observations of Helmholtz Waves in the Lower Atmosphere with an Acoustic Sounder. J. Atmos. Sci. 29: pp. 886-892
- Gage, K. S., Reid, W. H. (1968) The Stability of Thermally Stratified Plane Poiseuille Flow. J. Fluid Mech. 33: pp. 21-32
- Gage, K. S. (1971) The Effect of Stable Thermal Stratification on the Stability of Viscous Parallel Flows. J. Fluid Mech. 47: pp. 1-20
- Hall, F. F. and Owens, E. J.: 1975, ‘Atmospheric Acoustic Echo Soundings Investigations at the South Pole’, Proc. of the Workshop on Polar Meteorology, National Science Foundation, University of Nevada, May, 1975.
- Hines, C. O. (1960) Internal Atmospheric Gravity Waves at Ionospheric Heights. Can. J. Phys. 38: pp. 1441-1481
- Hines, C. O. (1974) The Upper Atmosphere in Motion. American Geophysical Union, Washington, D. C.
- Hooke, W. H., Hall, F. F., Gossard, E. E. (1973) Observed Generation of an Atmospheric Gravity Wave by Shear Instability in the Mean Flow of the Planetary Boundary Layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 5: pp. 29-41
- Howard, L. N. (1961) Note on a Paper of John W. Miles. J. Fluid Mech. 10: pp. 509-512
- Hull, T. E., Enright, W. H., Fellen, B. M., Sedgwick, A. E. (1972) Comparing Numerical Methods for Ordinary Differential Equations. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 9: pp. 603-637
- Ince, E. L. (1956) Ordinary Differential Equations. Dover Publications, Inc., New York
- Jones, W. L. (1968) Reflexion and Stability of Waves in Stably Stratified Fluids with Shear Flow: A Numerical Study. J. Fluid Mech. 34: pp. 609-624
- Lalas, D. P. and Einaudi, F.: 1975, On the Characteristics of Gravity Waves Generated by Atmospheric Shear Layers, submitted for publication.
- Maslowe, S. A., Thompson, J. M. (1971) Stability of a Stratified Free Shear Layer. Phys. Fluids 14: pp. 453-458
- Merrill, J. T.: 1975, ‘Observational Study of Shear Instability Events in the Planetary Boundary Layer’, 55th Annual Meeting Amer. Meteorol. Soc., Denver, Colo., June 20–23.
- Miles, J. W. (1961) On the Stability of Heterogeneous Shear Flows. J. Fluid Mech. 10: pp. 496-508
- Miles, J. W. (1963) On the Stability of Heterogeneous Shear Flows. Part 2. J. Fluid Mech. 16: pp. 209-227
- Miles, J. W. (1967) Internal Waves in a Continuously Stratified Atmosphere or Ocean. J. Fluid Mech. 28: pp. 305-310
- Rayleigh, Lord (1880) On the Stability, or Instability, of Certain Fluid Motions. Proc. London Math. Soc. 11: pp. 57-70
- Schlichting, H. (1935) Turbulenz bei Wärmeschichtung. Zeitschrift Angew. Math. Mech. 15: pp. 313-338
- Stankov, B.: 1975, ‘Study of the Nocturnal Boundary Layer’, 55th Annual Meeting Amer. Meteorol. Soc., Denver, Colo., June 20–23.
- Synge, J. L. (1933) The Stability of Heterogeneous Liquids. Trans. Royal Soc. Canada 27: pp. 1-18
- Thorpe, S. A. (1969) Experiments on the Stability of Stratified Shear Flows. Radio Science 4: pp. 1327-1331
- Thorpe, S. A. (1969) Neutral Eigensolutions of the Stability Equation for Stratified Shear Flow. J. Fluid Mech. 36: pp. 673-683
- Wagner, K. K. (May 1975) Inflection Point Instability within an Inversion Layer. University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
- Yih, C.-S.: 1970, Stability of and Waves in Stratified Flows, 8th Symposium on Hydrodynamics in the Ocean Environment, paper ARC-179, pp. 219–237.
- The stability analysis of an inflexion-free velocity profile and its application to the night-time boundary layer in the atmosphere
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 35-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, University of Colorado/NOAA, Boulder, Co., USA
- 2. Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, University of Colorado/NOAA and Aeronomy Laboratory, NOAA, Boulder, Co., USA
- 3. Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Mich., USA