Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: II, stratospheric measurements
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The photodissociation coefficient of NO2, J NO 2, has been measured from a balloon platform in the stratosphere. Results from two balloon flights are reported. High Sun values of J NO 2 measured were 10.5±0.3 and 10.3±0.3×10-3 s-1 at 24 and 32 km respectively. The decrease in J NO 2 at sunset was monitored in both flights. The measurements are found to be in good agreement with calculations of J NO 2 using a simplified isotropic multiple scattering computer routine.
- Isaksen, I. S. A., Midtbo, K. H., Sunde, J., and Crutzen, P. J., 1977, A simplified method to include molecular scattering and reflection in calculations of photon fluxes and photodissociation rates, Geophys. Norveg. 31, 11–26.
- JPL, 1982, Chemical kinetic and photochemical data for use in stratospheric modelling: Evaluation Number 5, JPL Publication 82-57, Pasadena, California.
- Luther, F. M. and Gelinas, R. J., 1976, Effects of molecular multiple scattering and surface albedo on atmospheric photodissociation rates. J. Geophys. Res. 81, 1125–1132.
- Luther, F. M., 1980, Annual Report of the Lawerence Livermore National Laboratory to the FAA, UCRL-50042–80, Lawerence Livermore Laboratory, Livermore California.
- Madronich, S., 1982. Measurements of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the stratosphere, PhD Thesis, York University.
- Madronich, S., Hastie, D. R., Ridley, B. A., and Schiff, H. I., 1983, Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: I. Method and surface measurements, J. Atmos. Chem. 1, 3–25.
- Madronich, S., Hastie, D. R., Ridley, B. A., and Schiff, H. I., 1984, Calculations of the temperature dependence of the NO2 photodissociation coefficient in the atmosphere, J. Atmos. Chem. 1, 151–158.
- Mugnai, A., Petroncelli, P., and Fiocco, G., 1979, Sensitivity of the photodissociation of NO2, NO3, HNO3 and H2O2 on the solar radiation diffused by the ground and by atmospheric particles, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 41, 351–359.
- WMO, 1981, The stratosphere 1981: Theory and measurements, WMO Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project, Report No. 11, May 1981.
- Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: II, stratospheric measurements
Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 233-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- J NO 2
- NO2 photolysis
- atmospheric photochemistry
- J NO 2 measurement
- Industry Sectors