Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: II, stratospheric measurements
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The photodissociation coefficient of NO2, J NO 2, has been measured from a balloon platform in the stratosphere. Results from two balloon flights are reported. High Sun values of J NO 2 measured were 10.5±0.3 and 10.3±0.3×10-3 s-1 at 24 and 32 km respectively. The decrease in J NO 2 at sunset was monitored in both flights. The measurements are found to be in good agreement with calculations of J NO 2 using a simplified isotropic multiple scattering computer routine.
- Isaksen, I. S. A., Midtbo, K. H., Sunde, J., Crutzen, P. J. (1977) A simplified method to include molecular scattering and reflection in calculations of photon fluxes and photodissociation rates. Geophys. Norveg. 31: pp. 11-26
- JPL, 1982, Chemical kinetic and photochemical data for use in stratospheric modelling: Evaluation Number 5, JPL Publication 82-57, Pasadena, California.
- Luther, F. M., Gelinas, R. J. (1976) Effects of molecular multiple scattering and surface albedo on atmospheric photodissociation rates. J. Geophys. Res. 81: pp. 1125-1132
- Luther, F. M. (1980) Annual Report of the Lawerence Livermore National Laboratory to the FAA. Lawerence Livermore Laboratory, Livermore California
- Madronich, S., 1982. Measurements of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the stratosphere, PhD Thesis, York University.
- Madronich, S., Hastie, D. R., Ridley, B. A., Schiff, H. I. (1983) Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: I. Method and surface measurements. J. Atmos. Chem. 1: pp. 3-25
- Madronich, S., Hastie, D. R., Ridley, B. A., Schiff, H. I. (1984) Calculations of the temperature dependence of the NO2 photodissociation coefficient in the atmosphere. J. Atmos. Chem. 1: pp. 151-158
- Mugnai, A., Petroncelli, P., Fiocco, G. (1979) Sensitivity of the photodissociation of NO2, NO3, HNO3 and H2O2 on the solar radiation diffused by the ground and by atmospheric particles. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 41: pp. 351-359
- WMO, 1981, The stratosphere 1981: Theory and measurements, WMO Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project, Report No. 11, May 1981.
- Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: II, stratospheric measurements
Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 233-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- J NO 2
- NO2 photolysis
- atmospheric photochemistry
- J NO 2 measurement