Causes of the famine among the rural population of the Sahelian zone of the Sudan
- Fouad N. Ibrahim Dr.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Taking the example of W Sudan, an analysis of the climatic incidents leading to the two recent famine disasters is made. On this natural background, the human side is investigated. Focus is directed towards the fragile economic structure of the famine-prone population groups. An early-warning system for famine in the Sahelian Zone is proposed taking grain production and storage, livestock development and the relationship between the prices of livestock and grain as major indicators.
- Ibrahim, F. N.: Ecological Imbalance in the Republic of the Sudan — With Reference to Desertification in Darfur. Bayreuther Geowissenschaftliche Arbeiten. Bayreuth 1984.
- Ibrahim, F. N.: Combating Famine by Grain Storage in Western Sudan. GeoJournal 14, 1, 29–35 (1987)
- Ibrahim, F. N.: Ecology and Land Use Changes in the Semiarid Zone of the Sudan. In: Little, P. D., Horowitz, M. M.: Lands at Risk in the Third World: Local Level Perspectives. pp. 213–229. Westviiew Press. Boulder and London 1987.
- El Tom, A. O.: Implications of 1983–1985 Famine on the Rural Sahel of the Sudan. In: Salih, M. A. M. (ed.): Agrarian Change in the Central Rainlands: Sudan. Uppsala 1987, 149–158.
- Salih, M. A. M.: Agrarian Change in the Central Rainlands: Sudan. Uppsala 1987.
- Causes of the famine among the rural population of the Sahelian zone of the Sudan
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 133-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Bayreuth, POB 101251, 8580, Bayreuth, FR Germany