Variations of factors affecting rice productivity in Central Luzon, Philippines
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Factors affecting rice productivity in Central Luzon, Philippines, among four classes of level, namely Class A — fully irrigated, Class B — partially irrigated, Class C — lowland rainfed, and Class D — upland rainfed, are examined in this study. An attempt is made to identify the ajor underlying dimensions of rice productivity and to ascertain the set of postulated factors that best determines variations associated with rice productivity. While principal-axes factor analysis is applied to isolate the underlying dimensions associated with rice productivity for 200 farms, stepwise multiple regression analysis is employed to determine which among the thirty-eight hypothesized variables have the strongest influence in accounting for variations associated with rice productivity in Central Luzon.
The results showed that the economic and institutional factors accounted for most of the variations in rice productivity among the four classes of farms. Whereas the economic variables were concerned with the amount and manner in which economic inputs were used and with the amount of fixed asset in rice production, the institutional factors were focused mainly on membership in the government rice production program and the amount of loan available to farmer members.
- Berry, R.A., Cline, W.R.: Agrarian Structure and Productivity in Developing Countries. The Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore 1979.
- Crosson, P.R.: Agricultural Development and Productivity: Lessons from the Chilean Experience. The Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore 1970.
- Draper, N.R., Smith, H.: Applied Regression Analysis. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York 1966.
- Geronimo, E.D.R.: A Comparative Analysis of the Factors Affecting Rice Productivity in High and Low Productive Farms in Central Luzon, Philippines. Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis, Division of Human Settlements Development, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand 1978.
- Hayami, Y., Ruttan, V.W.: Agricultural Development: An International Perspective. The Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore 1971.
- Khan, M.H.: Farm Size and Land Productivity Relationships in Pakistan. Pakistan Development Review 18, 69–77 (1979)
- National Census and Statistics Office: Philippines Census of Agriculture: National Summary, Vol. II. National Census and Statistics Office, Manila 1971.
- Rummel, R.J.: Applied Factor Analysis. Northwestern University Press, Evanston 1970.
- Schultz, T.W.: Transforming Traditional Agriculture. Yale University Press, New Haven 1964.
- Wong, S.T., Geronimo, E.D.R.: A Review of Philippines Agriculture: Crop Production and Fragmenation, 1960–1971. Unpublished Report, Division of Human Settlements Development, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand 1978.
- Variations of factors affecting rice productivity in Central Luzon, Philippines
Volume 6, Issue 5 , pp 469-476
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors