The Southern Sudanese migration to Khartoum and the resultant conflicts
- F. N. Ibrahim Prof. Dr.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Today, more than one third of the population of Khartoum are southerners who migrated to the capital mainly in the last eight years because of the civil war. Their conditions are very bad. They are starving in the town, for most of them are unemployed and have no means of living. Their housing conditions in the shanty towns are deplorable. The development of squatter settlements and the struggle for the demarcation of quarters are delineated in this paper. In Khartoum the southerners develop a strong sense of solidarity and develop a growing supra-southern-Sudanese identity replacing the former ethnic and local identities.
- Burton, J. W.: Christian Colonists and Conversion: A View from Nilotic Sudan. The Journal of Modern African Studies 23,2, 349–369 (1985)
- Burton, J. W.: When the North Winds Blow: A Note on Small Towns and Social Transformation in Nilotic Sudan. African Studies Review, 312, 49–60 (1988)
- Howell, P. et al. (ed.): The Jonglei Canal: Impact and Opportunity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1988.
- Ibrahim, F. N.: The Conditions of the Southern Sudanese Women Migrants in Abu Siid Shanty Town, Omdurman — A Case Study of Cultural Change. GeoJournal 20,3, 249–258 (1990)
- Kameir, El Wathing: Nuer Migrants in the Building Industry in Khartoum: A Case of the Concentration and Circulation of Labour. In: Pons, V. (ed.): Urbanisation and Urban Life in the Sudan. Dept. of Sociology and Social Anthropology. Univ. of Hull, 1980, 449–485.
- Nadler, L. F.: The Two Sudans. Some Aspects of the South. In: Hamilton, J. A. (ed.): The Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. London 1935, 94–112.
- Tosh, J.: The Economy of Southern Sudan under the British, 1898–1955. The Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History 9, 1, 275–288 (1980)
- The Southern Sudanese migration to Khartoum and the resultant conflicts
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 13-18
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Geosciences, University of Bayreuth, 8580, Bayreuth, Germany