Randomized trial of radiotherapy versus radiotherapy plus metronidazole for the treatment metastatic cancer to brain
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One hundred sixteen eligible patients with metastatic cancer to the brain were randomized to receive either radiotherapy 3000 rad/ 10 fractions (treatment 1) or the same radiotherapy plus metronidazole 6 gm/m2 (treatment 2). One hundred eleven patients were either fully or partially evaluable. The response rates (CR + PR) and survival showed no significant differences between treatments. Treatment 1: CR + PR 24%, median survival 14 weeks, Treatment 2: CR + PR 27%, median survival 12 weeks. There were no differences observed in response rates based on primary tumor site, neurologic performance status, or extent of metastatic disease. Metronidazole therapy was associated with substantial nausea and vomiting but no neurotoxicity was observed. Oral metronidazole given every other day during radiation therapy provided no clinical benefit for patients with brain metastases compared to radiotherapy alone.
- Espana P, Chang P, Wiernik PH: Increased incidence of brain metastases in sarcoma patients. Cancer 45:377–380, 1980.
- Mayer RJ, Berkowitz RS, Griffiths CT: Central nervous system involvement by ovarian carcinoma. A complication of prolonged survival with metastatic disease. Cancer 41: 776–783, 1978.
- Nugent JL, Bunn PA, Jr, Mathews MJ et al.: CNS metastases in small cell bronchiogenic carcinoma. Increasing frequency and changing pattern with lengthening survival. Cancer 44:1885–1893, 1979.
- Posner JB, Chernik NL: Intracranial metastases from systemic cancer. Adv Neurol 19:579–592, 1978.
- Aronson SM, Garcia JH, Aronson BE: Metastatic neoplasms of the brain: Their frequency in relation to age. Cancer 17:558–563, 1964.
- Zimm S, Wampler GL, Stablein D, Hazra T, Young HF: Intracerebral metastases in solid-tumor patients: Natural history and results of treatment. Cancer 48:384–394, 1981.
- Posner JB: Management of central nervous system metastases. Semin Oncol 4:81–91, 1977.
- Cairncross JG, Kim JH, Posner JB: Radiation therapy for brain metastases. Ann Neurol 7:529–541, 1980.
- Deutsch M, Parsons JA, Mercado R, Jr: Radiotherapy for intracranial metastases. Cancer 34:1607–1661, 1974.
- Marksbery WR, Books WH, Gupta GD, Young B: Treatment of patients with cerebral metastases. Arch Neurol 35:754–756, 1978.
- Brogelt B, Gelber R, Kramer S et al.: The palliation of brain metastases: final results of the first two studies by the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys 6:1–9, 1980.
- Kurtz JM, Gelber R, Brady LW, Carella RJ, Cooper JS: The palliation of brain metastases in a favorable patient population: A randomized clinical trial by the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys 7:891–895, 1981.
- White KT, Fleming TR, Lows ER: Single metastases to the brain- Surgical treatment in 122 consecutive patients. Mayo Clin Proc 56:424–428, 1981.
- Chapman JD, Reuvers AP, Borsa J et al.: Nitroheterocytic drugs as selective radiosensitizers of hypoxic mammalian cells. Cancer Chemother Rep 58:559–570, 1974.
- Urtasun R, Band P, Chapman JD et al.: Radiation and high-dose metronidazole in supratentorial glioblastomas. New Engl J Med 294:1364–1367, 1976.
- Kaplan EL, Meier P: Nonparametic estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 53:457–481, 1958.
- Gehan EA: A generalized Wilcoxin test for comparing arbitrarily singly-censored samples. Biometricha 52:203–223, 1965.
- Mantel N: Evaluation of survival data and two new rank order statistics arising in its consideration. Cancer Chemotherapy Rep 50:163–170, 1966.
- Phillips TL, Wasserman TH, Johnson RJ et al.: Final report on the United States phase I clinical trial of the hypoxic cell radiosensitize, misonidazole (Ro-70–0582; NSC #261037). Cancer 48:1697–1704, 1981.
- Ang KK, VanderScheneren E, Notter G et al.: Split course multiple daily fractionated radiotherapy schedule combined with misonidazole for management of grade III and grade IV glioma. A pilot feasability study of the radiotherapy group of EORTC. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys 8:1657–1664, 1982.
- Madojewicz S, West CR, Park HC et al.: Phase II study-intra-arterial BCNU therapy for metastatic brain tumors. Cancer 47:653–657, 1981.
- Salcman M, Samaros GM: Hyperthermia for brain tumors: Biophysical rational. Neurosurgery 9:327–335, 1981.
- Neuwelt EA, Diehl JT, Vu LH et al.: Monitoring of methotrexate delivery in patients with malignant brain tumors after osmotic blood-brain barrier disruption. Ann Intern Med 94:449–454, 1981.
- Randomized trial of radiotherapy versus radiotherapy plus metronidazole for the treatment metastatic cancer to brain
Journal of Neuro-Oncology
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 325-330
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Utah Medical Center, USA
- 2. Southwest Oncology Group Biostatistical Center, USA
- 3. University of Michigan Medical Center, USA
- 4. Brook Army Medical Center, USA
- 5. Tulane University, USA
- 6. University of Kansas Medical Center, USA