Outpatient morbidity in Slavonski Brod during 1991/1992 war in Croatia
- Hrvoje Tiljak MD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Indirect effects of war on the health status of population in Slavonski Brod, Croatia, were assessed. The study was based on registered outpatient morbidity data in General Practice Service of Slavonski Brod Medical Centre. Data from a pre-war period (January–June 1991) were compared to the war data (July–December 1991). Health care utilization and morbidity rates significantly differed in the two time periods. The most prominent were decreased consultations rates (40%) and increased rates of intestinal infections (80%), skin infections (20%) and injuries (50%). Numerous other changes were found, but all could not be related to the war. Although the indirect war effects on health were minimal at the time of investigation, the process was visible and must be continuously observed.
- Lee I, Haines A. Health cost of the Gulf war. BMJ 1991;303: 303–306.
- Glavina K, Tucak A, Janoši K, et al. Deliberate military destruction of the general hospital in the city of Osijek. Croatian Med J 1992; 33 (War suppl 1): 61–69.
- Kern J, Ivanković D, Kujundžić M, Dragun D, Vuletic S. Migratory dynamics due to the war in Croatia. Croatian Med J 1992; 33 (War suppl 2): 101–105.
- Bryce JW, Walker N, Ghorayeb F, Kanj M. Life experiences, response styles and mental health among mothers and children in Beirut, Lebanon. Soc Sci Med 1989; 28: 685–695.
- Lacković Z, Markeljević J, Marušić M. Croatian medicine in 1991 war against Croatia: A preliminary report. Croatian Med J 1992; 33 (War suppl 1): 110–119.
- Marcikić M, Kraus Z, Dmitrović B, et al. War victims in Eastern Slavonia. Croatian Med J 1992; 33 (War suppl 2): 75–77.
- Ropac D. Disregard of the Red Cross sign. Croatian Med J 1992; 33 (War suppl 2): 169–171.
- Kujundžić M, Kern J, Ivanković D, Budak A, Dragun D, Vuletić S. Person displacement pattern in Croatia. Croatian Med J 1992; 33 (War suppl 1): 55–60.
- Dodge CP. Health implications of war in Uganda and Sudan. Soc Sci Med 1990; 31: 691–698.
- Garfield RM, Frieden T, Vermund SH. Health-related outcomes of war in Nicaragua. Am J Public Health 1987; 77: 615–618.
- Hebrang A. Reorganization of the Croatian health care system. Croatian Med J 1994; 35: 130–136.
- World Health Organization. International classification of diseases. 9th revision. Manual of the international statistical classification of diseases, injuries and causes of death. Geneva: WHO, 1977.
- Jelić J, Hečimović Kodžoman V, Kopić J. Work of the anaesthesiology, resuscitation and intensive care service of the Slavonski Brod Medical Center during the 1991–1992 war against Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Croatian Med J 1994; 35: 163–167.
- Medicinski Centar Slavonski Brod. Spisak primljenih ranjenika i poginulih — dnevna evidencija 31.12.1991 [Register of injuries and deaths related to the war —daily records]. Slavonski Brod: Medicinski centar, 1991.
- Jelić A. Child casualties in a Croatian community during the 1991–1992 war. Arch Dis Child 1994; 71: 540–542.
- Lang S. Human rights, medicine and health: Tragic symbols of Eastern Slavonia that became a reality. Croatian Med J 1995; 36: 3–6.
- Centar za socijalni rad. Register prognanika i izbjeglica — stanje 31.12.1991 [Register of displaced persons]. Slavonski Brod: Skupština općine Slavonski Brod, 1992.
- Medicinski centar Slavonski Brod. Izvješće Službe opće medicine, I polugodište 1991 [Report of the General Practice Service, 1st semi-annual report, 1991]. Slavonski Brod: Medicinski centar, 1991.
- Medicinski centar Slavonski Brod. Izvješće Službe opće medicine, II polugodište 1991 [Report of the General Practice Service, 2nd semi-annual report, 1991]. Slavonski Brod: Medicinski centar, 1992.
- Savezni zavod za zdravstvenu zastitu. Statistički godišnjak o narodnom zdravlju i zdravstvenoj zaštiti u SFR Jugoslaviji 1989 [Statistical annual report on health status and health services in SFR Yugoslavia]. Beograd: Savezni zavod za zdravstvenu zaštitu, 1990.
- The Harvard Study Team. The effects of the Gulf crisis on the children of Iraq. N Engl J Med 1991; 325: 977–980.
- Lamberts H, Wood M (eds). International classification of primary care. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1987: 16–103.
- Armenian HK. In wartime: Options for epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 1986; 124: 28–32.
- Garfield RM, Neugut AI. Epidemiologic analysis of warfare: A historical review. JAMA 1991; 266: 688–692.
- Tennant C, Goulston K, Dent O. Australian prisoners of war of the Japanese: Post-war psychiatric hospitalisation and psychological morbidity. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 1986; 20: 334–340.
- Outpatient morbidity in Slavonski Brod during 1991/1992 war in Croatia
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 93-99
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- General practice
- Health status
- Health utilization
- Industry Sectors
- Hrvoje Tiljak MD (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. General Practitioner, Slavonski Brod Medical Centre, Slavonski Brod, Croatia