Combined convection in power-law fluids along a nonisothermal vertical plate in a porous medium
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problem of combined convection from vertical surfaces in a porous medium saturated with a power-law type non-Newtonian fluid is investigated. The transformed conservation laws are solved numerically for the case of variable surface heat flux conditions. Results for the details of the velocity and temperature fields as well as the Nusselt number have been presented. The viscosity index ranged from 0.5 to 2.0.
- Cheng, P. and Minkowycz, W. J.: 1977, Free convection about a vertical plate embedded in a porous medium with application to heat tranfer from a dike, J. Geophys. Res. 82, 2040–2044.
- Gorla, R. S. R. and Zinalabedini, A. H.: 1987, Free convection from a vertical plate with nonuniform surface temperature and embedded in a porous medium, Trans. ASME, J. Energy Resourc. Technol. 109, 26–30.
- Gorla, R. S. R. and Tornabene, R.: 1988, Free convection from a vertical plate with nonuniform surface heat flux and embedded in a porous medium, Transport in Porous Media 3, 95–106.
- Minkowycz, W. J., Cheng, P. and Chang, C. H.: 1985, Mixed convection about a nonisothermal cylinder and sphere in a porous medium, Numerical Heat Transfer 8, 349–359.
- Ranganathan, P. and Viskanta, R.: 1984, mixed convection boundary layer flow along a vertical surface in a porous medium, Numerical Heat Transfer 7, 305–317.
- Nakayama, A. and Koyama, H.: 1987, A general similarity transformation for combined free and forced convection flows within a fluid-saturated porous medium, J. Heat Transfer 109, 1041–1045.
- Nakayama, A. and Pop, I.: 1985, A unified similarity transformation for free, forced and mixed convection in Darcy and non-Darcy porous media, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 28, 683–697.
- Hsieh, J. C., Chen, T. S. and Armaly, B. F.: 1993, Nonsimilarity solutions for mixed convection from vertical surfaces in porous media, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 36, 1485–1493.
- Chen, H. T. and Chen, C. K.: 1987, Natural convection of non-Newtonian fluids about a horizontal surface in a porous medium, Trans. ASME, J. Energy Resour. Technol. 109, 119–123.
- Mehta, K. N. and Rao, K. N.: 1994, Buoyancy-induced flow of non-Newtonian fluids in a porous medium past a vertical plate with nonuniform surface heat flux, Int. J. Eng. Sci. 32, 297–302.
- Nakayama, A. and Koyama, H.: 1991, Buoyancy-induced flow of non-Newtonian fluids over a non-isothermal body of arbitrary shape in a fluid-saturated porous medium, Appl. Sci. Res. 48, 55–70.
- Mehta, K. N. and Rao, K. N.: 1994, Buoyancy-induced flow of non-Newtonian fluids over a non-isothermal horizontal plate embedded in a porous medium, Int. J. Eng. Sci. 32, 521–525.
- Christopher, R. H. and Middleman, S.: 1965: Power-law flow through a packed tube, I & EC Fundamentals 4, 422–426.
- Dharmadhikari, R. V. and Kale, D. D.: 1985, Flow of non-Newtonian fluids through porous media, Chem. Eng. Sci. 40, 527–529.
- Gorla, R. S. R., Lee, J. K., Nakamura, S. and Pop, I.: 1933, Effects on transverse magnetic field on mixed convection in wall plume of power law fluids, Int. J. Eng. Sci. 31, 1035–1045.
- Combined convection in power-law fluids along a nonisothermal vertical plate in a porous medium
Transport in Porous Media
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 157-166
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- non-Newtonian fluids
- combined convection
- heat transfer
- Industry Sectors