Dynamics of correlated genetic systems III. Behaviour of chromosomal segments under lethal selection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of lethal selection on linked marker loci was investigated in experimental populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Replicate experimental populations were initiated using flies heterozygous for the lethal gene Stubble and with the enzyme loci esterase-C and phosphoglucomutase in linkage disequilibrium with Stubble. The dynamical behavior of the lethal and marker genes was followed through generation 41 when the experimental was terminated. The major findings of the experiment are: (1) the lethal gene was eliminated from all replicate populations; (2) the marker gene frequency behavior could not be accounted for by lethal selection and recombination alone; and (3) linkage disequilibrium among the marker genes stabilized at high levels. The results of this experiment are contrasted with those of a previous experiment, of similar design, involving the lethal gene Glued. New data from generations 40 and 41 of the Glued experiment are also presented. The qualitative agreement among experiments are also presented. The both experiments indicate the existence of other strongly selected factors in the region spanned by the marker genes.
- Anderson, W.W. (1969). Selection in experimental populations I. Lethal genes. Genetics 62: 653–672.
- Birley, A.J. (1974). Multi-locus polymorphism and selection in a population of Drosophila melanogaster. I. Linkage disequilibrium on chromosome III. Heredity 32: 122–127.
- Brewer, G.J. (1970). An Introduction to Isozyme Technique. Academic Press, N.Y.
- Brown, A.H.D. (1970). The estimation of Wright's fixation index from genotypic frequencies. Genetica 41: 399–406.
- Clegg, M.T. (1977). Dynamics of correlated genetic systems. II. Simulation studies of chromosomal segments under selection. Theor. Popul. Biol. (in press).
- Clegg, M.T., J.F. Kidwell & C.R. Horch (1978). Dynamics of correlated genetic systems. IV. Decay of linkage disequilibria in experimental population of Drosophila melanogaster. In preparation.
- Clegg, M.T., J.F., Kidwell, M.G., Kidwell & N.J., Daniel (1976). Dynamics of correlated genetic systems. I. Selection in the region of the Glued locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 83: 793–810.
- Hjorth, J.P. (1970). A phosphoglucomutase locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Hereditas 64: 146–148.
- Lewontin, R.C. (1973). Population Genetics. A. Rev. Genet. 7: 1–18.
- Lindsley, D.L. & E.H. Grell (1968). Genetic Variations of Drosophila melanogaster. Publs Carnegie Inst., No. 627.
- Sved, J. (1975). Fitness of third chromosome homozygotes in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Res. 25: 197–200.
- Tracey, M.L. & F.J., Ayala (1974). Genetic load in natural populations: Is it compatiable with the hypothesis that many polymorphisms are maintained by natural selection? Genetics 77: 569–589.
- Dynamics of correlated genetic systems III. Behaviour of chromosomal segments under lethal selection
Volume 48, Issue 2 , pp 95-106
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links