A simple model of neutrally stratified boundary-layer flow over complex terrain with surface roughness modulations (MS3DJH/3R)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The MS3DJH series of simple models of flow over low hills and other terrain features described in earlier papers (see Taylor et al., 1983) required that the terrain was of uniform surface roughness. In the present paper, we describe an approximate theory of flow above variations in surface roughness using a similar structure to that established by Jackson and Hunt (1975) for flow over hills. This then allows us to include the calculation of flow perturbations due to roughness variations within a modified version of our model which we designate as MS3DJH/3R. Comparisons are made with alternative calculations for simple two-dimensional flows; and sample three-dimensional calculations are presented. The model retains its essential features of high spatial resolution and low computing cost.
- Elliott, W. P.: 1958, ‘The Growth of the Atmospheric Internal Boundary-Layer’, Trans Am. Geophys. Union 39, 1048–1054.
- Estoque, M.: 1973, ‘Numerical Modelling of the Planetary Boundary-Layer’, in P. A. Haugen (ed.), Workshop on Micrometeorology, Amer. Meteorol. Soc., Boston, pp. 217–270.
- Hunt, J. C. R. and Simpson, J. E.: 1982, in E. J. Plate (ed.), ‘Atmospheric Boundary-Layers Over Non-Homogeneous Terrain’, Engineering Meteorology, Ch. 7, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 269–318.
- Jackson, N. A.: 1976, ‘The Propagation of Modified Flow Downstream of a Change in Roughness’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 102, 924–933.
- Jackson, P. S. and Hunt, J. C. R.: 1975, ‘Turbulent Wind Flow Over a Low Hill’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 101, 833–851.
- Mason, P. J. and Sykes, R. I.: 1979, ‘Flow Over an Isolated Hill of Moderate Slope’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 105, 383–395.
- Peterson, E. W.: 1969, ‘Modification of Mean Flow and Turbulent Energy by a Change in Surface Roughness’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 95, 561–575.
- Rao, K. S., Wyngaard, J. C., and Coté, O. R.: 1974, ‘The Structure of the Two-Dimensional Internal Boundary-Layer Over a Sudden Change of Surface Roughness’, J. Atmos. Sci. 31, 738–746.
- Taylor, P. A.: 1969, ‘On Wind and Shear Stress Profiles Above a Change in Surface Roughness’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 95, 77–91.
- Taylor, P. A.: 1973, ‘Some Comparisons Between Mixing-Length and Turbulent Energy Equation Models of Flow Above a Change in Surface Roughness’, Lecture Notes in Physics 19, 246–254.
- Taylor, P. A.: 1978, A Note on Velocity and Turbulent Energy Profiles in the Surface Layer with Particular Reference to the Numerical Modelling of Turbulent Boundary-Layer Flow Above Horizontally Inhomogeneous Terrain, Internal Report ARQL 4/78, Atmospheric Environment Service, Downsview, 36 pp.
- Taylor, P. A.: 1980, ‘Some Recent Results From a Numerical Model of Surface Boundary-Layer Flow over Hills’, in J. C. Wyngaard (ed.), Workshop on the Planetary Boundary-Layer, Amer. Meteorol. Soc., Boston, pp. 150–157.
- Taylor, P. A. and Delage, Y.: 1971, ‘A Note on Finite-Difference Schemes for the Surface and Planetary Boundary-Layers’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 2, 108–121.
- Taylor, P. A., Walmsley, J. L., and Salmon, J. R.: 1983, ‘A Simple Model of Neutrally Stratified Boundary-Layer Flow Over Real Terrain Incorporating Wavenumber-Dependent Scaling’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 26, 169–189.
- Taylor, P. A., Walmsley, J. L., and Salmon, J. R.: 1985, ‘Guidelines and Models for Estimating Wind Speeds at WECS Sites in Complex Terrain’, Proc. Intersol '85, Montreal, Canada, June 1985 (in press).
- Townsend, A. A.: 1966, ‘The Flow in a Turbulent Boundary-Layer After a Change in Surface Roughness’, J. Fluid Mech. 26, 255–266.
- Walmsley, J. L., Salmon, J. R., and Taylor, P. A.: 1982, ‘On the Application of a Model of Boundary-Layer Flow Over Low Hills to Real Terrain’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 23, 17–46.
- A simple model of neutrally stratified boundary-layer flow over complex terrain with surface roughness modulations (MS3DJH/3R)
Volume 36, Issue 1-2 , pp 157-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links