The benefits of geographical and product expansion in the financial service industry
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Residual analysis techniques are used to evaluate acquiring firm shareholder perceptions of the benefits of product expansion by nonbanking firms into the banking industry and of the relaxation of restrictions on interstate banking. The results are consistent with other merger studies that fail to find significant returns to shareholders of acquiring firms and suggest either that such benefits do not exist or they are distributed to the shareholders of the acquired firm.
- Aharony, J., & Swary, I. “Effects of the 1970 Bank Holding Company Act: Evidence From Capital Markets.” Journal of Finance, September, 1981.
- Asquith, P., Bruner, R., & Mullins, D. The Gains to Bidding Firms from Merger. Journal of Financial Economics, April, 1983.
- Billingsley, R.S., & Lamy, R.E. Market Reaction to the Formation of One-Bank Holding Companies and The 1970 Bank Holding Company Act Amendment. Journal of Banking and Finance, March, 1984.
- Brown, S., & Warner, J. Measuring Security Price Performance. Journal of Financial Economics, September, 1980.
- Brown, S., & Warner, J. Using Daily Stock Returns: The Case of Event Studies. Journal of Financial Economics, March, 1985.
- Eisenbeis, R.A. Regulation and Financial Innovation: Implications for Financial Structure and Competition Among Depository and Nondepository Institutions. Issues In Bank Regulation, 4(3), 1981.
- Eisenbeis, R.A. Economic and Policy Issues Surrounding Regional and National Approaches to Interstate Banking. In T.M. Havrilesky, R. Schweitzer, and J.T. Boorman (Eds.) Dynamics of Banking. Arlington Heights, IL: Harlan Davidson, Inc, 1985.
- Eisenbeis, R.A. Inflation and Regulation: Implications for Financial Intermediation. In Richard C. Aspinwall and Robert A. Eisenbeis (Eds.), Handbook for Banking Strategy. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc, 1985.
- Eisenbeis, R.A. Regional Forces For Interstate Banking. Economic Review. Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, May, 1983.
- Eisenbeis, R.A., Harris, Robert S., & Lakonishok, Josef. Benefits of Bank Diversification: the Evidence From Shareholder Returns. Journal of Finance, July, 1984.
- Fischer, G.C. The Modern Bank Holding Company: Development, Regulation, and Performance, Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press, 1986.
- Halpern, P. Corporate Acquisitions: A Theory of Special Cases? A Review of Event Studies Applied to Acquisitions. Journal of Finance, May, 1983.
- Jensen, M.C. & Ruback, R.S. The Market for Corporate Control: The Scientific Evidence. Journal of Financial Economics, April.
- Kane, E.J. Accelerating Inflation, Technological Innovation, and the Decreasing Effectiveness of Bank Regulation. Journal of Finance, May, 1981.
- Kaufman, G.G. Securities Activities of Commercial Banks: Recent Changes in the Economic and Legal Environments, forthcoming in Journal of Financial Services Research, January, 1988.
- Larcker, D., Gordon, L., & Pinches, G. Testing for Market Efficiency: A Comparison of the Cummulative Average Residual Methodology and Intervention Analysis. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, June, 1980.
- Martin, J.D. & Keown, A.J. Market Reaction to the Formation of One-Bank Holding Companies. Journal of Banking and Finance, 5, 383–393, 1981.
- Rosenblum, H., & Siegel, D. Competition in Financial Services: The Impact of Nonbank Entry. Staff Study 83-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, 1983.
- Saulsbury, V.L., Interstate Banking—An Update. Regulatory Review, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, July, 1986.
- Schipper, K., & Thompson, R. Evidence on the Capitalized Value of Merger Activity for Acquiring Firms. Journal of Financial Economics, April, 1983.
- Swary, I. Bank Acquisition of Non-Bank Firms: An Empirical Analysis of Administrative Decisions. Journal of Banking and Finance, June, 1983.
- Whitehead, D.D. Interstate Banking: Taking Inventory. Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, May, 1983.
- Whitehead, D.D. Interstate Banking: Probability or Reality? Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, March, 1985.
- The benefits of geographical and product expansion in the financial service industry
Journal of Financial Services Research
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 161-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors