Change in market assessments of deposit-institution riskiness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using the Goldfeld and Quandt switching regression method, this article investigates variability over 1975–1985 in the risk components of bank and saving and loan stock. We develop evidence that the market-beta, interest-sensitivity, and residual risk of deposit-institution stock vary significantly during this period. Reassessing previous event studies in light of these findings suggests that event-study methods tend to overreach their data.
- Aharony Joseph, Jones Charles P., and Swary Itzhak. An Analysis of Risk and Return Characteristics of Corporate Bankruptcy Using Capital Market Data.Journal of Finance (Vol. 35, September 1980), pp 1001–1016. CrossRef
- Aharony Joseph, Saunders Anthony, and Swary Itzhak. The Effects of a Shift in Monetary Policy Regime on the Profitability and Risk of Commercial Banks.Journal of Monetary Economics (Vol. 17, 1986), pp 363–377. CrossRef
- Aharony Joseph, and Swary Itzhak. Effects of the 1970 Bank Holding Company Act: Evidence from Capital Markets.Journal of Finance (Vol. 36, 1981), pp 431–449.
- Barth James R., Brumbaugh R. DanJr., and Sauerhaft Daniel. Failure Costs of Government-Regulated Financial Firms: The Case of Thrift Institutions. Washington: FHLBB, June 1986.
- Benston George J. Required Disclosure and the Stock Market: An Evaluation of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.American Economic Review (Vol. 63, 1973), pp 132–55.
- Brewer, Elijah III, and Lee, Cheng F. The Impact of Market, Industry, and Interest Rate Risks on Bank Stock Returns. Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Staff Memoranda, 1985.
- Brickley James A., and James Christopher M. Access to Deposit Insurance, Insolvency Rules and The Stock Returns of Financial Institutions.Journal of Financial Economics (Vol. 16, 1986), pp 345–371. CrossRef
- Chance Don M., and Lane William R. A Re-examination of Interest Rate Sensitivity in the Common Stocks of Financial Institutions.Journal of Financial Research (Vol. 3, 1980), pp 49–55.
- Cornell Bradford, and Shapiro Alan C. The Reaction of Bank Stock Prices to the International Debt Crisis.Journal of Banking and Finance (Vol. 10, March 1986), pp 55–73. CrossRef
- Bruner Robert F., and Simms John M.Jr. The International Debt Crisis and Bank Security Returns in 1982.Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking (Vol. 19, February 1987), pp 47–55. CrossRef
- Flannery Mark J., and James Christopher M. The Effect of Interest Rate Changes of the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions.Journal of Finance (Vol. 39, September 1984a), pp 1141–1153. CrossRef
- Flannery Mark J., and James Christopher M. Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities.Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking (Vol. 16, November 1984b), pp 435–45. CrossRef
- Fraser Donald R., Richards R. Malcolm, and Fosberg Richard H. A Note on Deposit Rate Deregulation, Super NOWs, and Bank Security Returns.Journal of Banking and Finance (Vol. 9, 1985), pp. 585–595. CrossRef
- Giliberto Michael. Interest Rate Sensitivity in the Common Stocks of Financial Intermediaries: A Methodological Note.Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (Vol. 20, March 1985), pp 123–126. CrossRef
- Goldfeld, Stephen M., and Quandt, Richard E.Nonlinear Methods in Econometrics. North-Holland Publishing Co., 1972.
- Goldfeld Stephen M., and Quandt Richard E. The Estimation of Structural Shifts by Switching Regressions.Annals of Economic and Social Measurement (Vol. 2, 1973), pp 475–485.
- Goldfeld Stephen M., and Quandt Richard E. Techniques for Estimating Switching Regressions. In: S.M. Goldfeld and R.E. Quandt, eds.,Studies in Nonlinear Estimation. Cambridge, MA: Ballinger Publishers, 1976.
- Kane Edward J.The Gathering Crisis in Federal Deposit Insurance. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1985.
- Lin Kuan-Pin, and Oh John S. Stability of the U.S. Short Run Money Demand Function, 1959–81.Journal of Finance (Vol. 39, 1984), pp 1383–96. CrossRef
- Lamy Robert E., and Thompson G. Rodney. Penn Squere, Problem Loans, and Insolvency Risk.Journal of financial Research (Vol. 9, Summer 1986), pp 103–111.
- Lloyd William P., and Shick Richard A. A Test of Stone's Two-Index Model of Returns.Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (Vol. 12, September 1977), pp 363–376. CrossRef
- Lynge Morgan J., and Zumwalt J. Kenton. An Empirical Study of the Interest Rate Sensitivity of Commercial Bank Returns: A Multi-Index Approach.Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (Vol. 15, September 1980), pp 731–742. CrossRef
- Martin John D., and Keown Arthur J. Interest Rate Sensitivity and Portfolio Risk.Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (Vol. 12, June 1977), pp 181–195. CrossRef
- Merton Robert C. An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model.Econometrica (Vol. 41, September 1973), pp 867–87. CrossRef
- Mishkin Frederic S. Monetary Policy and Short-Term Interest Rates: An Efficient Markets-Rational Expectations Approach.Journal of Finance (Vol. 3, March 1982), pp 63–72. CrossRef
- Quandt Richard E. Some Statistical Characterizations of Aircraft Hijacking.Accident Analysis and Prevention (Vol. 6, 1974), pp 115–123. CrossRef
- Smirlock Michael. An Analysis of Bank Risk and Deposit Rate Ceilings: Evidence from the Capital Markets.Journal of Monetary Economics (Vol. 14, March 1984), pp 195–210. CrossRef
- Smirlock Michael, and Kaufold Howard. Bank Foreign Lending, Mandatory Disclosure Rules, and the Reaction of Bank Stock Prices to the Mexican Debt Crisis.Journal of Business (Vol. 60, 1987), pp 347–64. CrossRef
- Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation: 1986 Yearbook. Chicago: Ibbotson Associates, 1986.
- Scott William L., and Peterson Richard L. Interest Rate Risk and Equity Values of Hedged and Unhedged Financial Intermediaries.Journal of Financial Research (Vol. 9, Winter 1986), pp 325–329.
- Schoder, Stewert, and Vankudre, Prashant. The Market for Bank Stocks and Banks' Disclosure of Cross-Border Exposure: The 1982 Mexican Debt Crisis. Working Paper, Wharton School of Finance, University of Pennsylvania, 1986.
- Sinkey Joseph F.Jr.Commercial Bank Financial Management, 2nd ed. New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., 1986.
- Stone Bernell K. Systematic Interest-Rate Risk in a Two-Index Model of Returns.Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (Vol. 9, November 1974), pp 709–721. CrossRef
- Swary Itzhak. Stock Market Reaction to Regulatory Action in the Continental Illinois Crisis.The Journal of Business (Vol. 59, July 1986), pp 451–73. CrossRef
- Sweeney Richard J., and Warga Arthur D. The Pricing of Interest-Rate Risk: Evidence from the Stock Market.Journal of Finance (Vol. 41, 1986), pp 393–410. CrossRef
- Tarhan Vefa. Unanticipated Interest Rates, Bank Stock Returns and the Nominal Contracting Hypothesis.Journal of Banking and Finance (Vol. 11, 1987), pp 99–115. CrossRef
- Unal, Haluk. Effects of Regulatory Announcements on Bank Stock Returns: Reevaluating the Risk-Impact of Deposit-Rate Ceiling Changes.Journal of Money Credit and Banking. Forthcoming 1988.
- Unal Haluk, and Kane Edward J. Two Approaches To Assessing The Interest-Rate Sensitivity of Deposit-Institutions' Equity Returns.Research in Finance, Greenwich, Conn: JAI Press, 1987a.
- Unal, Haluk, and Kane, Edward J. Off-Balance-Sheet Items and the Changing Market and Interest-Rate Sensitivity of Deposit-Institution Equity Returns.Proceedings of Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Conference on Bank Structure and Competition, 1987b, pp 432–55.
- Change in market assessments of deposit-institution riskiness
Journal of Financial Services Research
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 207-229
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors