Change in market assessments of deposit-institution riskiness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using the Goldfeld and Quandt switching regression method, this article investigates variability over 1975–1985 in the risk components of bank and saving and loan stock. We develop evidence that the market-beta, interest-sensitivity, and residual risk of deposit-institution stock vary significantly during this period. Reassessing previous event studies in light of these findings suggests that event-study methods tend to overreach their data.
- Joseph, Aharony, Jones, Charles P., Itzhak, Swary (1980) An Analysis of Risk and Return Characteristics of Corporate Bankruptcy Using Capital Market Data. Journal of Finance 35: pp. 1001-1016 CrossRef
- Joseph, Aharony, Anthony, Saunders, Itzhak, Swary (1986) The Effects of a Shift in Monetary Policy Regime on the Profitability and Risk of Commercial Banks. Journal of Monetary Economics 17: pp. 363-377 CrossRef
- Joseph, Aharony, Itzhak, Swary (1981) Effects of the 1970 Bank Holding Company Act: Evidence from Capital Markets. Journal of Finance 36: pp. 431-449
- Barth, James R., Brumbaugh, R. Dan, Daniel, Sauerhaft (1986) Failure Costs of Government-Regulated Financial Firms: The Case of Thrift Institutions. FHLBB, Washington
- Benston, George J. (1973) Required Disclosure and the Stock Market: An Evaluation of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. American Economic Review 63: pp. 132-55
- Brewer, Elijah III, and Lee, Cheng F. The Impact of Market, Industry, and Interest Rate Risks on Bank Stock Returns. Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Staff Memoranda, 1985.
- Brickley, James A., James, Christopher M. (1986) Access to Deposit Insurance, Insolvency Rules and The Stock Returns of Financial Institutions. Journal of Financial Economics 16: pp. 345-371 CrossRef
- Chance, Don M., Lane, William R. (1980) A Re-examination of Interest Rate Sensitivity in the Common Stocks of Financial Institutions. Journal of Financial Research 3: pp. 49-55
- Bradford, Cornell, Shapiro, Alan C. (1986) The Reaction of Bank Stock Prices to the International Debt Crisis. Journal of Banking and Finance 10: pp. 55-73 CrossRef
- Bruner, Robert F., Simms, John M. (1987) The International Debt Crisis and Bank Security Returns in 1982. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking 19: pp. 47-55 CrossRef
- Flannery, Mark J., James, Christopher M. (1984) The Effect of Interest Rate Changes of the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions. Journal of Finance 39: pp. 1141-1153 CrossRef
- Flannery, Mark J., James, Christopher M. (1984) Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking 16: pp. 435-45 CrossRef
- Fraser, Donald R., Richards, R. Malcolm, Fosberg, Richard H. (1985) A Note on Deposit Rate Deregulation, Super NOWs, and Bank Security Returns. Journal of Banking and Finance 9: pp. 585-595 CrossRef
- Michael, Giliberto (1985) Interest Rate Sensitivity in the Common Stocks of Financial Intermediaries: A Methodological Note. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 20: pp. 123-126 CrossRef
- Goldfeld, Stephen M., and Quandt, Richard E.Nonlinear Methods in Econometrics. North-Holland Publishing Co., 1972.
- Goldfeld, Stephen M., Quandt, Richard E. (1973) The Estimation of Structural Shifts by Switching Regressions. Annals of Economic and Social Measurement 2: pp. 475-485
- Goldfeld, Stephen M., Quandt, Richard E. Techniques for Estimating Switching Regressions. In: Goldfeld, S.M., Quandt, R.E. eds. (1976) Studies in Nonlinear Estimation. Ballinger Publishers, Cambridge, MA
- Kane, Edward J. (1985) The Gathering Crisis in Federal Deposit Insurance. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Kuan-Pin, Lin, Oh, John S. (1984) Stability of the U.S. Short Run Money Demand Function, 1959–81. Journal of Finance 39: pp. 1383-96 CrossRef
- Lamy, Robert E., Thompson, G. Rodney (1986) Penn Squere, Problem Loans, and Insolvency Risk. Journal of financial Research 9: pp. 103-111
- Lloyd, William P., Shick, Richard A. (1977) A Test of Stone's Two-Index Model of Returns. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 12: pp. 363-376 CrossRef
- Lynge, Morgan J., Zumwalt, J. Kenton (1980) An Empirical Study of the Interest Rate Sensitivity of Commercial Bank Returns: A Multi-Index Approach. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 15: pp. 731-742 CrossRef
- Martin, John D., Keown, Arthur J. (1977) Interest Rate Sensitivity and Portfolio Risk. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 12: pp. 181-195 CrossRef
- Merton, Robert C. (1973) An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model. Econometrica 41: pp. 867-87 CrossRef
- Mishkin, Frederic S. (1982) Monetary Policy and Short-Term Interest Rates: An Efficient Markets-Rational Expectations Approach. Journal of Finance 3: pp. 63-72 CrossRef
- Quandt, Richard E. (1974) Some Statistical Characterizations of Aircraft Hijacking. Accident Analysis and Prevention 6: pp. 115-123 CrossRef
- Smirlock, Michael (1984) An Analysis of Bank Risk and Deposit Rate Ceilings: Evidence from the Capital Markets. Journal of Monetary Economics 14: pp. 195-210 CrossRef
- Smirlock, Michael, Kaufold, Howard (1987) Bank Foreign Lending, Mandatory Disclosure Rules, and the Reaction of Bank Stock Prices to the Mexican Debt Crisis. Journal of Business 60: pp. 347-64 CrossRef
- Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation: 1986 Yearbook. Chicago: Ibbotson Associates, 1986.
- Scott, William L., Peterson, Richard L. (1986) Interest Rate Risk and Equity Values of Hedged and Unhedged Financial Intermediaries. Journal of Financial Research 9: pp. 325-329
- Schoder, Stewert, and Vankudre, Prashant. The Market for Bank Stocks and Banks' Disclosure of Cross-Border Exposure: The 1982 Mexican Debt Crisis. Working Paper, Wharton School of Finance, University of Pennsylvania, 1986.
- Sinkey, Joseph F. (1986) Commercial Bank Financial Management. Macmillan Publishing Co., New York
- Stone, Bernell K. (1974) Systematic Interest-Rate Risk in a Two-Index Model of Returns. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 9: pp. 709-721 CrossRef
- Itzhak, Swary (1986) Stock Market Reaction to Regulatory Action in the Continental Illinois Crisis. The Journal of Business 59: pp. 451-73 CrossRef
- Sweeney, Richard J., Warga, Arthur D. (1986) The Pricing of Interest-Rate Risk: Evidence from the Stock Market. Journal of Finance 41: pp. 393-410 CrossRef
- Vefa, Tarhan (1987) Unanticipated Interest Rates, Bank Stock Returns and the Nominal Contracting Hypothesis. Journal of Banking and Finance 11: pp. 99-115 CrossRef
- Unal, Haluk. Effects of Regulatory Announcements on Bank Stock Returns: Reevaluating the Risk-Impact of Deposit-Rate Ceiling Changes.Journal of Money Credit and Banking. Forthcoming 1988.
- Haluk, Unal, Kane, Edward J. (1987) Two Approaches To Assessing The Interest-Rate Sensitivity of Deposit-Institutions' Equity Returns. Research in Finance. JAI Press, Greenwich, Conn
- Unal, Haluk, and Kane, Edward J. Off-Balance-Sheet Items and the Changing Market and Interest-Rate Sensitivity of Deposit-Institution Equity Returns.Proceedings of Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Conference on Bank Structure and Competition, 1987b, pp 432–55.
- Change in market assessments of deposit-institution riskiness
Journal of Financial Services Research
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 207-229
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors