Correlation between characters as related to developmental pattern in Drosophila
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In order to better understand the genetic basis of some body traits and their correlations in Drosophila, in relation to their developmental history, a biometrical study was performed on three lines selected for short wing (fourth vein) and a control strain.
The correlated response to selection for short wing and four body traits (thorax length and width, scutellar length, head width) and of eight other dimensional wing traits was considered.
The results show a strong correlated response to selection of all wing traits, low correlations for the thorax characters, while head width remains relatively constant. Two groups of wing characters, corresponding to compartments of development, show different levels of covariation with the selected trait, the covariation being greater when the characters included in the same compartment of the selected trait are considered.
The results are discussed in terms of developmental genetics of Drosophila and suggest that quantitative studies may be suitable for studying the rôle of interactions between sets of genes controlling development.
- Carson, H. L., Stalker, H. D. (1949) Seasonal variation in the morphology of Drosophila robusta. Evolution 3: pp. 330-343
- Cavicchi, S., Mochi, M., Giorgi, G. (1978) Investigation on early divergence between populations of Drosophila melanogaster kept at different temperatures. Genetica 48: pp. 81-87
- Crick, F. H. C., Lawrence, P. A. (1975) Compartments and polyclones in insect development. Science 189: pp. 340-347
- Garcia-Bellido, A., Ripoll, P., Morata, G. (1976) Developmental compartmentalisation in the dorsal mesothoracic disc of Drosophila. Devel. Biol. 48: pp. 132-147
- Misra, R. K., Reeve, E. C. R. (1964) Clines in body dimensions in populations of Drosophila subobscura. Genet. Res. 5: pp. 240-256
- Palenzona, D. L., Alicchio, R. (1973) Differential response to selection on the two sexes in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics Austin, Tex. 74: pp. 533-542
- Robertson, F. W. (1962) Changing the relative size of the body parts of Drosophila by selection. Genet. Res. 3: pp. 169-180
- Robertson, F. W., Reeve, E. C. R. (1952) Studies in quantitative inheritance. I. The effects of selection of wing and thorax length in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Genet. 50: pp. 414-448
- Rocchetta, G., Palenzona, D. L. (1975) Investigation on wing development by a multivariate analysis. Riv. Biol. 68: pp. 67-78
- Stalker, H. D., Carson, H. L. (1947) Morphological variation in natural populations of Drosophila robusta. Evolution 1: pp. 237-248
- Thompson, J. N. (1975) Quantitative variation and gene number. Nature 258: pp. 665-668
- Correlation between characters as related to developmental pattern in Drosophila
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 189-195
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links