The development of an accurate model for the fatigue assessment of doubly curved cracks in tubular joints
Fatigue tests on tubular joints have shown that as a crack propagates through the chord wall, it curves under the weld toe. This produces, at the brace-chord intersection, a doubly curved semi-elliptical crack emanating from the weld toe. A doubly curved crack in a tubular joint is a very complex geometry which has proved to be difficult to model. In consequence, previous work on the evaluation of stress intensity factors in tubular joints adopted a simplified approach, ignoring the crack curvature under the weld toe. However, in the absence of benchmark solutions, the effects of any modelling approximation on accuracy are impossible to quantify. To address this problem and as part of the research on fatigue assessment methodologies, a technique which is able to accurately model doubly curved cracks in tubularT-joints has been developed at University of Wales, Swansea. This paper describes a detailed account of the generation of the finite element model and the procedure for evaluating the stress intensity factor solutions. The validation results are also presented to demonstrate the reliability of the model developed.
- O.D. Dijkstra, inProceedings of the 17th Offshore Technology Conference, Texas, USA (1985) OTC 4866 229–235.
- PD 6493,Guidance on methods for assessing the acceptability of flaws in fusion welded structures, British Standards Institution (1991).
- J.C.Newman and J.S.Raju,Engineering Fracture Mechanics 15, Nos. 1–2 (1981) 185–192
- D. Bowness and M.M.K. Lee,Journal of Strain Analysis 30, No. 2 (1995).
- S.D. Thurlbeck, Ph.D. thesis, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, UK (1991).
- S.D. Thurlbeck and F.M. Burdekin, inProceedings of the 11th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Calgary, Canada (1992) 285–298.
- O.D. Dijkstra, H.H. Snijder and I.J. van Straalen, inProceedings of the 8th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, The Hague (1989) 137–143.
- B. Fu, J.V. Haswell and P. Bettess, inProceedings of the International Conference on Shallow Crack Fracture Mechanics, Toughness Tests and Applications, The Welding Institute (1992) Paper 22.
- B.Fu, J.V.Haswell and P.Bettess,International Journal of Fracture 63 (1993) 155–171.
- J. Haswell, inProceedings of the 4th International Conference on the Integrity of Offshore Structures, Glasgow (1990).
- J. Haswell, inProceedings of the 11th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Calgary, Canada (1992).
- D. Bowness, M.Sc. thesis, University of Wales, Swansea, C/M/277/92 (1992)
- PRETUBE User's Manual, Veritas Sesam Systems (1991).
- H.C. Rhee, S. Han and G.S. Gipson, inProceedings of the 10th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (1991) 441–452.
- ABACRACK User Manual, AEA Technology, Risley, Warrington, UK (1989).
- ABAQUS User Manual (version 5.2), Hibbit, Karlsson and Sorensen Inc., USA (1992).
- H.C.Rhee and M.M.Salama,Engineering Fracture Mechanics 28, No. 2 (1987) 203–209.
- D. Ritchie, C.W.M. Voermans and K. Vollan, inProceedings of the 4th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Fracture Mechanics (1986).
- N.O. Kristiansen and B. Fu, inProceedings of the 12th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Glasgow, UK (1993) 795–801.
- H.C. Rhee, inEngineering Fracture Mechanics 32 No. 5 (1989) 723–730.
- I.S. Raju and J.C. Newman, inEngineering Fracture Mechanics 11 (1979) 817–829.
- J.C. Newman and I.S. Raju, Analyses of Surface Cracks in Finite Plates Under Tension or Bending Loads, NASA Technical Paper 1578 (1979).
- J.C. Newman, Private communication (1994)
- M. Efthymiou and S. Durkin, inProceedings of the Conference on the Behaviour of Offshore Steel Structures, Delft (1985) 429–440.
- M. Efthymiou, inProceedings of the Conference on Recent Developments in Tubular Joints Technology, (1988) 2-1–2-33.
- The development of an accurate model for the fatigue assessment of doubly curved cracks in tubular joints
International Journal of Fracture
Volume 73, Issue 2 , pp 129-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors