On the use and abuse of Newton's second law for variable mass problems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We clarify some misunderstandings currently found in the literature that arise from improper application of Newton's second law to variable mass problems. In the particular case of isotropic mass loss, for example, several authors introduce a force that actually does not exist.
- Adler, C.G.: 1987, ‘Does Mass Really Depend on Velocity, Dad?’, Am. J. Phys. 55, 739.
- Das, R.K., Shrivastava, A.K., and Ishwar, B.: 1989, ‘Equations of Motion of Elliptic Restricted Problem of Three Bodies with Variable Mass’, Celest. Mech. 45, 387.
- Hadjidemetriou, J.D.: 1963, ‘Two-Body Problem with Variable Mass: A new Approach’, Icarus 2, 440.
- Hadjidemetriou, J.D.: 1967, ‘Secular Variation of Mass and the Evolution of Binary Systems’, Adv. Astron. Astrophys. 5, 131.
- Horedt, G.P.: 1984, ‘Trojan Orbits with Mass Exchange of the Primaries’, Celest. Mech. 33, 367.
- Lichtenegger, H.: 1984, ‘The Dynamics of Bodies with Variable Masses’, Celest. Mech. 34, 357.
- Richstone, D.O. and Potter, M.D.: 1982, ‘Galactic Mass Loss: A Mild Evolutionary Correction to the Angular Size Test’, Astrophys. J. 254, 451.
- Saslaw, W.C.: 1985, Gravitational Physics of Stellar and Galactic Systems, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, London, New York, New Rochelle, Melbourne, Sydney, p. 52.
- Sears, F.W.: 1958, Mechanics, Wave Motion and Heat, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., Reading, Mass., p. 204.
- Singh, J., and Ishwar, B.: 1984, ‘Effect of Perturbations on the Location of Equilibrium Points in the Restricted Problem of Three Bodies with Variable Mass’, Celest. Mech. 32, 297.
- Shrivastava, A.K. and Ishwar, B.: 1983, ‘Equations of Motion of the Restricted Problem of Three Bodies with Variable Mass’, Celest. Mech. 30, 323.
- Sommerfeld, A.: 1952, Mechanics, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. I, New York, p. 28.
- On the use and abuse of Newton's second law for variable mass problems
Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy
Volume 53, Issue 3 , pp 227-232
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- variable mass problems
- restricted problem
- Industry Sectors