High frequency somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from papaya hypocotyl callus
- Maureen M. M. Fitch
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
High frequency somatic embryogenesis in papaya (Carica papaya L.) tissue cultures was achieved by culturing hypocotyl sections from ten-day-old seedlings on half-strength Murashige and Skoog salts (MS) medium containing modified MS vitamins, 2.3 to 112.5 μM 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-d), 400 mg l-1 glutamine, and 6% sucrose. Four hermaphroditic Hawaiian cultivars produced embryogenic calluses after ten to 14 weeks of culture at 27°C in the dark. Efficiency in embryogenic response of genotypes differed, ‘Kapoho’ > ‘Sunset’ > ‘Sunrise’ > ‘Waimanalo’. The frequency of embryogenesis in induction medium containing 4.5 μM 2,4-d was lowest with 3% sucrose and highest with 7% sucrose. Somatic embryos developed directly from embryogenic calluses on induction medium, or, more often, they differentiated from calluses subcultured on a medium devoid of growth regulators. Between 50 and 500 embryos were produced from each 2-mm hypocotyl section after at least two months on induction medium and two months on maturation medium. Embryos subsequently developed into normal-looking plants on MS medium. Shoot cuttings from germinated embryos and micropropagated plants were rooted with 5.0 μM indole-3-butyric acid (IBA), grown in the greenhouse, and transferred to the field.
- Ammirato PV (1983) Embryogenesis. In: Evans DA, Sharp WR, Ammirato PV & Yamada Y (Eds) Handbook of Plant Cell Culture, Vol 1 (pp 82–123). MacMillan, New York.
- Arora IK & Singh RN (1978) In vitro plant regeneration in papaya. Curr. Sci. 47: 867–868.
- Chen FC & Kuo MH (1988) Ovule and ovary culture in papaya and somatic embryogenesis. In: Ma SS, Shii CT, Chang WC & Chang TL (Eds) Proceedings of a Symosium on Tissue Culture of Horticultural Crops. National Taiwan University, Taipei, March 8–9, 1988 (pp 50–61). Department of Horticulture, National Taiwan University, 1991 (in Chinese).
- Chen MH (1988a) Tissue culture and ringsport resistant breeding of papaya. In: Ma SS, Shii CT, Chang WC & Chang TL (Eds) Proceedings of a Symposium on Tissue Culture of Horticultural Crops. National Taiwan University, Taipei, March 8–9, 1988 (pp 62–72). Department of Horticulture, National Taiwan University. 1991 (in Chinese).
- Chen MH (1988b) Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration in Carica papaya L. tissue culture derived from root explants. In: Ma SS, Shii CT, Chang WC & Chang TL (Eds) Proceedings of a Symposium on Tissue Culture of Horticutural Crops. National Taiwan University, Taipei, March 8–9, 1988 (pp 230–233), Department of Horticulture, National Taiwan University, 1991.
- Chen MH, Wang PJ & Maeda E (1987) Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration in Carica papaya L. tissue culture derived from root explants. Plant Cell Rep. 6: 348–351.
- Chen MH, Chen CC, Wang DN & Chen FC (1991) Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from immature embryos of Carica papaya × Carica cauliflora cultured in vitro. Can. J. Bot. 69: 1913–1918.
- Close KR & Ludeman LA (1987) The effect of auxin-like plant growth regulators and osmotic regulation on induction of somatic embryogenesis from elite maize inbreds. Plant Sci. 52: 81–89.
- Close TJ, Kortt AA & Chandler PC (1989) A cDNA-based comparison of dehydration-induced proteins (dehydrins) in barley and corn. Plant Molec. Biol. 13: 95–108.
- De Bruijne E, De Langhe E & van Rijck R (1974) Actions of hormones and embryoid formation in callus cultures of Carica papaya. In: International Symposium on Crop Protection, Fytopharmacie en Fytiatrie Rijkslandsbouwhoogeschool Medelelinge 39: 637–645.
- Finer JJ (1987) Direct somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from immature embryos of hybrid sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) on a high sucrose-containing medium. Plant Cell Rep. 6: 372–374.
- Finer JJ & McMullen MD (1990) Transformation of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) via particle bombardment. Plant Cell Rep. 8: 586–589.
- Fitch MMM (1991) Development of Genetic Transformation Systems for Papaya. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, August 1991 (p. 277).
- Fitch MMM & Manshardt RM (1990) Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from immature zygotic embryos of papaya (Carica papaya L.). Plant Cell Rep. 9: 320–324.
- Fitch MMM, Manshardt RM, Gonsalves D, Slightom JL & Sanford JC (1990) Stable transformation of papaya via microprojectile bombardment. Plant Cell Rep. 9: 189–194.
- Fromm ME, Morrish F, Armstrong C, Williams R. Thomas J & Klein TM (1990) Inheritance and expression of chimeric genes in the progeny of transgenic maize plants. Bio/Technology 8: 833–839.
- Gordon-Kamm WJ, Spencer TM, Mangano ML, Adams TR, Daines RJ, Start WG, O'Brian JV, Chambers SA, Adams WR, Willetts NG, Rice TR, Mackey CJ, Krueger RW, Kausch AP & Lemaux PG (1990) Transformation of maize cells and regeneration of fertile transgenic plants. The Plant cell 2: 603–618.
- Jordan M, Cortes I & Montenegro G (1982) Regeneration of plantlets by embryogenesis from callus cultures of Carica candamarcensis. Plant Sci. Lett. 28: 321–326.
- Kamada H & Harada H (1979a) Studies on the organogenesis in carrot tissue cultures I. Effects of growth regulators on somatic embryogenesis and root formation. Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 91: 255–266.
- Kamada H & Harada H (1979b) Studies on the organogenesis in carrot tissue cultures II. Effects of amino acids and inorganic nitrogenous compounds on somatic embryogenesis. Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 91: 453–463.
- Larkin PJ & Scowcroft WR (1981) Somaclonal variation-a novel source of variability from cell cultures for plant improvement. Theor. App. Genet. 60: 197–214.
- Lee TSG (1987) Micropropagation of sugarcane (Saccharum spp.). Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 10: 47–55.
- Linsmaier EM & Skoog F (1965) Organic growth factor requirements of tabacco tissue culture. Physiol. Plant. 18: 100–127.
- Litz RE (1986) Effect of osmotic stress on somatic embryogenesis in Carica suspension cultures. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 111: 969–972.
- Litz RE & Conover RA (1980) Somatic embryogenesis in cell cultures of Carica stipulata. HortScience 15: 733–735.
- Litz RE & Conover RA (1981) In vitro polyembryony in Carica papaya L. ovules. Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 104: 285–288.
- Litz RE & Conover RA (1982) In vitro somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from Carica papaya L. ovular callus. Plant Sci. Lett. 26: 153–158.
- Litz RE & Conover RA (1983) High frequency somatic embryogenesis from Carica suspension cultures. Ann. Bot. 51: 683–686.
- Litz RE, O'Hair SK & Conover RA (1983) In vitro growth of Carica papaya L. cotyledons. Sci. Hort. 19: 287–293.
- Manshardt RM & Wenslaff TF (1989a) Zygotic polyembryony in interspecific hybrids of Carica papaya and C. cauliflora. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 114: 684–689.
- Manshardt RM & Wenslaff TF (1989b) Interspecific hybridization of papaya with other Carica species. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 114: 689–694.
- McGranahan GH, Leslie CA, Uratsu SL, Martin LA & Dandekar AM (1988) Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of walnut somatic embryos and regeneration of transgenic plants. Bio/Technology 6: 800–804.
- Mehdi AA & Hogan L (1979) In vitro growth and development of papaya (Carica papaya L.) and date-palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.). HortScience 14: 422.
- Miller RM & Drew RA (1990) Effect of explant type on proliferation of Carica papaya L. in vitro. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 21: 39–44.
- Moore GA & Litz RE (1984) Biochemical markers of Carica papaya, C. cauliflora, and plants from somatic embryos of their hybrid. J. amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 109: 213–218.
- Murashige T & Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plant. 15: 473–497.
- Nagao M & Furutani S (1986) Improving germination of papaya seed by density separation, potassium nitrate, and gibberellic acid. HortSciene 21: 1439–1440.
- Orton TJ (1985) Genetic instability during embryogenic cloning of celery. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 4: 159–169.
- Pang SZ & Sanford JC (1988) Agrobacterium-mediated gene transfer in papaya. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 113: 287–291.
- Sanford JC (1990) Biolistic plant transformation. Physiol. Plant. 79: 206–209.
- Yamamoto H & Tabata M (1989) Correlation of papain-like enzyme production with laticifer formation in somatic embryos of papaya. Plant Cell Rep. 8: 251–254.
- Yamamoto H, Tanaka S, Fukui H & Tabata M (1986) Enzymatic difference between laticifers and cultured cells of papaya. Plant Cell Rep. 5: 269–272.
- Yie S & Liaw SI (1977) Plant regeneration from shoot tips and callus of papaya. In Vitro 13: 564–568.
- High frequency somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from papaya hypocotyl callus
Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 205-212
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Carica papaya L.
- 2,4-dichiorophenoxyacetic acid
- tissue culture
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Horticulture, University of Hawaii, 3190 Maile Way, 96822, Honolulu, HI