Copper toxicity in young maize (Zea mays L.) plants: effects on growth, mineral and chlorophyll contents, and enzyme activities
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Changes in the growth parameters and in enzyme activities were studied in roots and leaves of 14-days old maize grown in a nutrient solution containing various copper concentrations (i.e. 0.01 to 10 μM). A significant decrease in root and leaf biomass was only found at 10 μM Cu. In contrast, changes in several enzyme activities occured at lower copper concentrations in the solution, corresponding to different threshold values which are lower than those observed for growth parameters. Peroxidase (POD) activity significantly increased in all investigated plant organs (i.e. 3rd-leaf, 4th-leaf and roots) in relation to their copper content. Additionally, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PDH), and isocitrate dehydrogenase (ICDH) activities decreased in the leaves, especially in the 4th-leaf. However, the activity of malic enzyme (ME), G-6-PDH, glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH) and ICDH increased with the copper content in roots. According to the relationship between POD activity and copper content, the toxic critical value was set at 26 mg Cu per kg dry matter (DM) in roots and 21 mg Cu per kg DM in the 3rd-leaf. In roots, a new isoenzyme of peroxidase appeared for copper content above 12.6 mg Cu kg DM−1. Measurement of enzyme activity, especially that of POD and Cu-specific changes in the (iso)peroxidase pattern, might be used as biomarkers to assess the phytotoxicity for maize grown on copper-contaminated substrata.
- Adriano D C 1986 Trace Elements in the Terrestrial Environment. Springer-Verlag, New-York, USA. 533 p.
- Blanke M M 1990 Determination of chlorophyll with DMF. Vitic. Enol. Sci. 45, 76–78.
- Bradford M 1976 A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilising the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72, 248–254.
- Cathala N and Salsac L 1975 Absorption du cuivre par les racines de maîs (Zea mays L.) et de tournesol (Helianthus annuus L.). Plant and Soil 42, 65–83.
- Clijsters H and Van Assche F 1985 Inhibition of photosynthesis by heavy metals. Photosynth. Res. 7, 31–40.
- Clijsters H, Van Assche F and Gora L 1991 Physiological responses of higher plants to soil contamination with metals. In Ecological Responses to Environmental Stresses. Eds. J Rozema and A C Verkleij. pp 32–39. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- Cormier S M and Daniel F B 1994 Biomarkers: taking the science forward. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 13, 1011–1012.
- De Haan F A M, Bourg A C M, Brookes P C, Verstraete W, van Riemsdijk W H, van der Zee S E A T M and Giraldez J V 1989 Soil Quality Assessment. State of the Art Report on Soil Quality. Final report XII-523–89, Commission of the European Communities, Luxemburg.
- Delas J 1963 Latoxicité du cuivre accumulé dans les sols. Agrochimica 7, 258–288.
- De Vos C H R, Ten Bookum W M, Vooijs R, Schat H and De Kok L J 1993 Effect of copper on fatty acid composition and peroxidation of lipids in the roots of copper tolerant and sensitive Silene cucubalus. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 31, 151–158.
- Ernst W H O and Peterson P J 1994 The role of biomarkers in environmental assessment, 4. Terrestrial plants. Ecotoxicology 3, 180–192.
- Ewitt E J 1966 Sand and Water Culture Methods Used in the Study of Plant Nutrition. Commenwealth Bureau of Horticulture and Plantation Crops, Maidstone, UK. 547 p.
- Ewers U 1991 Standards, guidelines and legislative regulations concerning metals and their compounds. In Metals and their Compounds in the Environment. Ed. E Merian. pp 687–711. VCH Verlagsgesellschaft, Weinheim, Germany.
- Gora L, Van Assche F and Clijsters H 1985 Effects of toxic copper treatment on chloroplast properties of Phaseolus vulgaris. Arch. Int. Physiol. Biochim. 93, PF8.
- Kabata-Pendias A and Pendias H 1992 Trace Elements in Soils and Plants. CRC Press Inc., Boca Raton, FA, USA. 365 p.
- Keddy C, Greene J C and Bonnell M A 1994 Examen des Biotests effectués sur des Organismes Entiers pour l'Evaluation de la Qualité des Sols, des Sédiments et des Eaux Douces au Canada. Direction Générale de la Conservation des Ecosystèmes, Direction de l'Evaluation et de l'Interprétation, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. 193 p.
- Lepp N W 1981 Copper In Effect of Heavy Metal Pollution on Plants. Vol 1: Effects of Trace Metals on Plant Function. Ed. N W Lepp. pp 111–143. Applied Science Publishers, London, UK.
- Lexmond T M 1980 The effect of soil pH on copper toxicity to forage maize grown under field conditions. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 28, 164–183.
- Lexmond T M and van der Vorm P D J 1981 The effect of pH on copper toxicity to hydroponically grown maize. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 29, 217–238.
- Lichtenhaler H K and Wellburn A R 1983 Determinations of total carotenoids and chlorophylls a and b of leaf extracts in different solvents. Biochem. Soc. Trans., 603rd Meeting Liverpool 11, 591–592.
- Lidon F C and Henriques F S 1994 Subcellular localisation of copper and partial isolation of copper proteins in roots from rice plants exposed to excess copper. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 21, 427–436.
- Macnair M R and Baker A J M 1994 Metal-tolerant plants: an evolutionary perspective. In Plants and the Chemical Elements. Biochemistry, Uptake, Tolerance and Toxicity. Ed. M E Farago. pp 67–85. VCH, Weinheim, Germany.
- Macnicol R D and Beckett P H T 1985 Critical tissue concentrations of potentially toxic elements. Plant and Soil 85, 107–129.
- McGrath S P 1993 Soil quality in relation to agriculture uses. In Integrated Soil and Sediment Research: a Basis for Proper Protection. Eds. H J P Eijsackers and T Hamers. pp 187–200. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- Meharg A A 1993 The role of the plasmalemma in metal tolerance in angiosperm. Physiol. Plant. 88, 191–198.
- Mench M, Martin E and Solda P 1994 After effects of metals derived from a highly metal-polluted sludge on maize (Zea mays L.). Water Air Soil Pollut. 75, 277–291.
- Mukherji S and Das Gupta B 1972. Characterization of copper toxicity in lettuce seedlings. Physiol. Plant. 27, 126–129.
- Ouzounidou G, Ciamporova M, Moustakas M and Karataglis S 1995. Response of maize (Zea mays L.) plants to copper stress — I. growth, mineral content and ultrastructure of roots. Environ. Exp. Bot. 35, 167–176.
- Sandmann G and Böger P 1980 Copper-mediated lipid peroxidation processes in photosynthetic membranes. Plant Physiol. 66, 797–800.
- Van Assche F and Clijsters H 1987. Enzyme analysis in plants as a tool for assessing phytotoxicity of heavy metal polluted soils. Med. Fac. Landbouww. Rijksuniv. Gent 52, 1819–1824.
- Van Assche F, Cardinaels C and Clijsters H 1988 Induction of enzyme activity in plants as a result of heavy metal toxicity: dose-response relations in Phaseolus vulgaris L., treated with zinc and cadmium. Environ. Pollut. 52, 103–115.
- Van Assche F and Clijsters H 1990a Effects of metals on enzyme activity in plants. Plant Cell Environ. 13, 195–206.
- Van Assche F and Clijsters H 1990b A biological test system for the evaluation of the phytotoxicity of metal-contaminated soils. Environ. Pollut. 66, 157–172.
- Vangronsveld J and Clijsters H 1992 A biological test system for the evaluation of metal phytotoxicity and immobilization by additives in metal contaminated soils. In Metal Compounds in Environment and Life, 4 (Interrelation between Chemistry and Biology). Eds. E Merian and W Haerdi. pp 117–125. Science Technology Letters, Northwood, UK.
- Vangronsveld J and Clijsters H 1994 Toxic effects of metals. In Plants and the Chemical Elements. Biochemistry, Uptake, Tolerance and Toxicity. Ed. M E Farago. pp 149–177. VCH Verlagsgesellshaft, Weinheim, Germany.
- Vangronsveld J, Mocquot B, Mench M and Clijsters H 1996 Utilisations pratiques de biomarqueurs pour l'étude de la contamination des écosystèmes par les principales classes de micropolluants. Biomarqueurs d'exposition des végétaux terrestres aux polluants. Métaux. In Utilisation de Biomarqueurs en Ecotoxicologie. Eds. L Lagadic, J C Amiard, T Caquet and F Ramade. Masson, Paris, France (In press).
- Weigel H J and Jäger H J 1980 Different effects of cadmium in vitro and in vivo on enzyme activities in bean plants (Phaseolus vulgaris L., cv Sankt Andreas). Z. Planzenphysiol. 97, 103–113.
- Copper toxicity in young maize (Zea mays L.) plants: effects on growth, mineral and chlorophyll contents, and enzyme activities
Plant and Soil
Volume 182, Issue 2 , pp 287-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors