Phytoplankton primary production and nutrients in the Oosterschelde (The Netherlands) during the pre-barrier period 1980–1984
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Phytoplankton primary production, nutrient concentrations and turbidity were monitored at three stations in the Oosterschelde during 1980–1984 as part of an ecosystem study.
From comparisons of dissolved nutrient ratios with the nutrient requirements of phytoplankton, and of ambient nutrient concentrations with half-saturation constants for nutrient uptake by natural phytoplankton populations it was concluded that silicate was a limiting nutrient for diatoms after the spring bloom until the end of the summer. Dissolved inorganic nitrogen and phosphate were not considered to be limiting to phytoplankton growth.
In general, the phytoplankton growing season started during the first fortnight of April and ended at the end of September. Column production in the whole Oosterschelde varied between 201 and 540 g C m−2 yr−1 and was, on average, 25% higher in the western part than in the eastern part. ‘Basin’ production in the Oosterschelde varied between 120 and 466 g C m−2 yr−1 and was, on average, 55% higher in the western part than in the eastern part; this difference could be explained by differences in the ratio of euphotic depth to mean depth of the compartments.
Estimated carbon-specific growth rates in the eastern part varied between < 0.1 and 3 d−1 and in the western part between < 0.1 and 1 d−1. This difference could be explained by the great differences in depth of the compartments. Carbon-specific growth rates are discussed in relation to phytoplankton loss rates. It is suggested that in the eastern part sedimentation must be an important sink for phytoplankton.
- Bakker, C., M. Vink, P. de Visscher & F. Vegter, 1986. Phytoplankton structure, -biomass, -productivity and -turnover rate. In E. K. Duursma & E. S. Nieuwenhuize (chief eds.). Delta Institute for Hydrobiological Research, Yerseke. Progress report 1986: 16–18.
- Bätje, M. & H. Michaelis, 1986. Phaeocystis pouchetti blooms in the East Frisian coastal waters (German Bight, North Sea). Mar. Biol. 93: 21–27.
- Bienfang, P. K., 1975. Steady state analysis of nitrateammonium assimilation by phytoplankton. Limnol. Oceanogr. 20: 402–411.
- Birnbaum, E. L., 1978. Estimating in situ algal production with the help of light measurements and experimentally measured production rates. Hydrobiol. Bull. 12: 126–133.
- Boynton, W. R., W. M. Kemps & C. W. Keefe, 1982. A comparative analysis of nutrients and other factors influencing estuarine phytoplankton production. In V.S. Kennedy (ed.). Estuarine comparisons. Academic Press, New York: 69–90.
- Cadée, G. C., 1986. Increased phytoplankton primary production in the Marsdiep area (Western Dutch Wadden Sea). Neth. J. Sea Res. 20: 285–290.
- Caperon, J. & D. A. Ziemann, 1976. Synergistic effects of nitrate and ammonium ion on the growth and uptake kinetics of Monochrysis lutheri in continuous culture. Mar. Biol. 36: 73–84.
- Colijn, F., 1983. Primary production in the Ems-Dollard estuary. Thesis, University of Groningen.
- De Jonge, V. N., 1990. Response of the Dutch Wadden Sea ecosystem to phosphorus discharges from the River Rhine. Hydrobiologia 195: 49–62.
- Dronkers, J. & J. T. F. Zimmerman, 1982. Some principles of mixing in tidal lagoons with examples of tidal basins in the Oosterschelde. In P. Lasserre & H. Postma (eds.). Coastal Lagoons. Proc. Int. Symp. Coastal Lagoons, Gauthier-Villars: 460–474.
- Duin, R. N. M. & J. P. G. van de Kamer,1988. De berekening van de fytoplanktonproduktie van een watersysteem en de schatting van de verliesprocessen van het fytoplankton. Nota GWAO-88.1006 (in Dutch).
- Eilers, P. H. C. & J. C. H. Peeters, 1988. A model for the relationship between light intensity and the rate of photosynthesis in phytoplankton. Ecol. Modell. 42: 199–215.
- Fee, E. J., 1973. A numerical model for determining integral primary production and its application to Lake Michigan. J. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 30: 1447–1468.
- Fisher, T. R., L. W. Harding, D. W. Stanley & L. G. Ward, 1988. Phytoplankton, nutrients and turbidity in the Cheasapeake, Delaware, and Hudson estuaries. Est. Coast. Shelf Sci. 27: 61–93.
- Flint, R. W., 1984. Phytoplankton production in the Corpus Christi Bay estuary. Contributions in Marine Science 27: 65–83.
- Gieskes, W. W. C. & G. W. Kraay, 1975. The phytoplankton spring bloom in Dutch coastal waters of the North Sea. Neth. J. Sea Res. 9: 166–196.
- Gillbricht, M., 1988. Phytoplankton and nutrients in the Helgoland region. Helgoländer Meeresunters. 42: 435–467.
- Harris, G. P., 1984. Phytoplankton productivity and growth measurements: past, present and future. J. Plankton Res. 6: 219–237.
- Hitchcock, G. L. & T. J. Smayda, 1977. The importance of light in the initiation of the 1972–1973 winter-spring diatom bloom in Narragansett Bay. Limnol. Oceanogr. 22: 126–131.
- Iturriaga, R. & A. Zsolnay, 1983. Heterotrophic uptake and transformation of phytoplankton extracellular products. Bot. Mar. 26: 375–381.
- Klepper, O. & H. Scholten, 1988. A model of carbon flows in relation to macrobenthic food supply in the Oosterschelde estuary (S. W. Netherlands). Report BALANS 1987-42.
- Klepper, O., J. C. H. Peeters, J. P. G. van de Kamer & P. Eilers, 1988. The calculation of primary production in an estuary. A model that incorporates the dynamic response of algae, vertical mixing and basin morphology. In A. Marani (ed.). Advances in environmental modelling. Elsevier, Amsterdam: 373–394.
- Knoester, M., J. Visser, B. A. Bannink, C. J. Colijn & W. P. A. Broeders, 1984. The Eastern Scheldt Project. Wat. Sci. Tech. 16: 51–77.
- Laanbroek, H. J. & J. C. Verplanke, 1984. Mineralisatie van organische koolstofverbindingen in de waterkolom van de Oosterschelde. Nota BALANS 1984-8 (in Dutch).
- Lancelot, C., 1983. Factors affecting phytoplankton extracellular release in the Southern Bight of the North Sea. Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser. 12: 115–121.
- Lean, D. R. S. & B. K. Burnison, 1979. An evaluation of errors in the 14C method of primary production measurement. Limnol. Oceanogr. 24: 917–928.
- McCarthy, J. J., 1981. The kinetics of nutrient utilization. In T. Platt (ed.). Physiological bases of phytoplankton ecology. Can. Bull. Fish. aquat. Sci. 210: 211–233.
- Peeters, J. C. H. & P. Eilers, 1978. The relationship between light intensity and photosynthesis. A simple mathematical model. Hydrobiol. Bull. 12: 134–136.
- Pennock, J. R. & J. H. Sharp, 1986. Phytoplankton production in the Delaware estuary: temporal and spatial variability. Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser. 34: 143–155.
- Quéguiner, B. & P. Tréguer, 1986. Freshwater outflow effects in a coastal, macrotidal ecosystem as revealed by hydrological, chemical and biological variabilities (Bay of Brest, Western Europe). In S. Skreslet (ed.). The role of freshwater outflow in coastal marine ecosystems. NATO ASI Series, Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 219–230.
- Rijkswaterstaat, 1986. Te verwachten ontwikkelingen in het Oosterscheldebekken na 1987. Nota GWAO-86.106 (in Dutch).
- Riley, G. A., 1957. Phytoplankton of the North Central Sargasso Sea, 1950–1952. Limnol. Oceanogr. 2: 252–270.
- Schindler, D. W., R. V. Schmidt & R. A. Reid, 1972. Acidification and bubbling as an alternative to filtration in determining phytoplankton production by the 14C method. J. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 29: 1627–1631.
- Scholten, H., O. Klepper, P. H. Nienhuis & M. Knoester, 1989. Oosterschelde estuary (S. W. Netherlands): a self-sustaining ecosystem? This volume.
- Seitzinger, S. P., 1988. Denitrification in freshwater and coastal marine ecosystems: Ecological and geochemical significance. Limnol. Oceanogr. 33(4, part 2): 702–724.
- Smaal, A. C. & M. R. van Stralen, 1990. Average annual growth and condition of mussels as a function of food source. Hydrobiologia 195: 179–188.
- Smayda, T. J., 1978. From phytoplankters to biomass. In A. Sournia (ed.). Phytoplankton Manual. Unesco, Paris: 273–279.
- Steemann Nielsen, E., 1952. The use of radio-active carbon (14C) for measuring organic production in the sea. J. Cons. perm. int. Explor. Mer 18: 117–140.
- Strickland, J. D. H. & T. R. Parsons, 1972. A practical handbook of seawater analysis. Bull. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 167: 1–310.
- Theodórsson, P. & J. O. Bjarnason, 1975. The acid-bubbling method for primary productivity measurements modified and tested. Limnol. Oceanogr. 20: 1018–1019.
- Tilzer, M. M. 1984. Estimation of phytoplankton loss rates from daily photosynthetic rates and observed biomass changes in Lake Constance. J. Plankton Res. 6: 309–324.
- UNESCO, 1962. Technical papers in marine science, No. 1.
- Vegter, F. & P. R. M. de Visscher, 1984a. Phytoplankton primary production in brackish Lake Grevelingen (SW Netherlands) during 1976–1981. Neth. J. Sea Res. 18: 246–259.
- Vegter, F. & P. R. M. de Visscher, 1984b. Extracellular release by phytoplankton during photosynthesis in Lake Grevelingen (SW Netherlands). Neth. J. Sea Res. 18: 260–272.
- Vegter, F. & P. R. M. de Visscher, 1987. Nutrients and phytoplankton primary production in the marine tidal Oosterschelde estuary (The Netherlands). Hydrobiol. Bull. 21: 149–158.
- Veldhuis, M. J. W., 1987. The eco-physiology of the colonial alga Phaeocystis pouchetii. Thesis, University of Groningen.
- Wafar, M. V. M., P. Le Corre & J. L. Birrien, 1983. Nutrients and primary production in permanently well-mixed temperate coastal waters. Est. Coast. Shelf Sci. 17: 431–446.
- Weisse, T., N. Grimm, W. Hickel & P. Martens, 1986. Dynamics of Phaeocystis pouchetii blooms in the Wadden Sea of Sylt (German Bight, North Sea). Est. Coast. Shelf Sci. 23: 171–182.
- Welschmeyer, N. A. & C. J. Lorenzen, 1985. Chlorophyll budgets: Zooplankton grazing and phytoplankton growth in a temperate fjord and the Central Pacific Gyres. Limnol. Oceanogr. 30: 1–21.
- Wessels, C. & E. L. Birnbaum, 1979. An improved apparatus for use with the 14C acid-bubbling method of measuring primary production. Limnol. Oceanogr. 24: 187–188.
- Wetsteyn, L. P. M. J., J. C. H. Peeters, R. N. M. Duin, F. Vegter & P. R. M. de Visscher, 1988. Primaire produktie van het fytoplankton in de Oosterschelde in de periode 1980 t/m 1984. Nota BALANS 1988-34 (in Dutch).
- Phytoplankton primary production and nutrients in the Oosterschelde (The Netherlands) during the pre-barrier period 1980–1984
Volume 195, Issue 1 , pp 163-177
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- phytoplankton primary production
- carbon-specific growth rate
- attenuation coefficient
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Tidal Waters Division, Ministry of Transport and Public Works, P. O. Box 8039, 4330, EA Middelburg, The Netherlands
- 2. Delta Institute for Hydrobiological Research, Vierstraat 28, 4401, EA Yerseke, The Netherlands