Embryology and development of a freshwater prosobranch, Melania scabra
- E. V. Muley
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Embryology and development of the snail, Melania scabra was studied. The embryos complete their development in a special incubatory pouch called the broodpouch and hatch out in a form completely resembling that of the adult. The embryonic development of the snail represents specialized features like precocious development of the statocyst, presence of a well developed velar retractor muscle and torsion.
- Erlanger, R. V. 1892. Entwicklungsgeschichte der Gastropoden. (Bythinia). Mitt. Zool. St. Nepal, 10: 376–407.
- Muley, E. V. 1977. Studies on the breeding habits and development of the brood-pouch of a viviparous prosobranch. Melania scabra. Hydrobiologia, 54: 181–185.
- Nagaraja, S. 1942. Development of Pila virens (Lamarck) with reference to organogeny. M.Sc., Thesis Annamalai University. Annamalainagar.
- Patten, W. 1886. Embryology of Patella. Arbeiten Zool. Inst. Univ. Wien., 6.
- Ramamoorthi, K. 1955. Studies on the Embryology and Development of some Melaniid snails. J. Zool. Soc. India, 7 (1): 25–34.
- Ranjah, A. R. 1942. Embryology of the Indian apple snail, Pila globosa (Swainson). Rec. Ind. Mus., 27: 97–100.
- Rao, M. B. 1975. Some observations on the spawning behaviour and larval development in the limpet, cellana radiata (Born) (Gastropoda: Prosobranchia). Hydrobiologia, 47 (2): 265–272.
- Sarasin, P. 1892. Entwicklung der Bithynia tentaculata. Arb. Zool. Inst. Warzberg 6: 1–68.
- Smith, F. G. 1935. Development of Patella. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 225: 95–125.
- Embryology and development of a freshwater prosobranch, Melania scabra
Volume 58, Issue 1 , pp 89-92
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- velar retractor muscle
- Industry Sectors
- E. V. Muley (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Zoology, Marathwada University, Aurangabad, India