Time course of N2 fixation in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Field and greenhouse experiments were conducted to assess the nitrogen fixation rates of four cultivars of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) at different growth stages. The 15N isotope dilution technique was used to quantify biological nitrogen fixation. In the greenhouse, cultivars M4403 and Kallmet accumulated 301 and 189 mg N plant−1, respectively, up to 63 days after planting (DAP) of which 57 and 43% was derived from atmosphere. Under field conditions, cultivars Bayocel and Flor de Mayo RMC accumulated in 77 DAP, 147 and 135 kg N ha−1, respectively, of which approximately one-half was derived from the atmosphere. The rates of N2 fixation determined at different growth stages increased as the plants developed, and reached a maximum during the reproductive stage both under field and greenhouse conditions. Differences in translocation of N were observed between the cultivars tested, particularly under field conditions. Thus, the fixed N harvest index was 93 and 60 for cultivars Flor de Mayo and Bayocel, respectively. In early stages of growth, the total content of ureides in the plants correlated with the N fixation rates. The findings reported in the present paper can be used to build a strategy for enhancing biological N2 fixation in common bean.
- Atkins C A, Pate J S, Ritchie A and Peoples M B 1982 metabolism and translocation of allontoin in ureide-producing grain legumes. Plant Physiol. 70, 1–6.
- Dart P J, Day J M and Harris D 1972 Assay of nitrogenase activity by acetylene reduction. In Use of Isotopes for Study of Fertilizer Utilization by Legume Crops, FAO/IAEA, Vienna pp 85–100.
- Franco A A, Pereira J C and Neyra C 1979 Seasonal patterns of nitrate reductase and nitrogenase activities in Phaseolus vulgaris L. Plant Physiol. 63, 421–424.
- Fried M and Middelboe V 1977 Measurement of amount of fixed nitrogen by a legume crop. Plant and Soil 47, 713–715.
- Graham P H 1981 Some problems of nodulation and symbiotic nitrogen fixation in Phaseolus vulgaris L. Rev. Field Crops Res. 4, 93–112.
- Hardarson G, Bliss F A, Cigales-Rivero M R, Henson R A, Kipe-Nolt J A, Longeri L, Manrique A, Peña-Cabriales J J, Pereira P A A, Sanabria C A and Tsai S M 1993 Genotypic variation in biological nitrogen fixation by common bean. Plant and Soil 152, 59–70.
- Hardarson G, Golbs M and Danso S K A 1989 Nitrogen fixation in soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) as affected by nodulation patterns. Soil. Biol Biochem. 21, 783–787.
- Hungria M and Neves M C P 1987 Cultivar and Rhizobium strain effect on nitrogen fixation and transport in Phaseolus vulgaris L. Plant and Soil 103, 111–121.
- Neves M C P, Didonet A D, Duque F F and Döbereiner J (1985) Rhizobium strain effects on nitrogen transport and distribution in soybean. J. Exp. Bot. 169, 1179–1192.
- Neves MC and Hungria M 1987 The physiology of nitrogen fixation in tropical grain legumes. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 3, 269–321.
- Patterson T G, Glenister R and LaRue T A 1982 Simple estimate of ureides in soybean tissue. Anal. Biochem. 119, 90–95.
- Rosas J C 1983 Partitioning of dry matter, nitrogen fixation, and seed yield of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) influenced by plant genotype and nitrogen fertilization. Ph. D. Thesis. University Wisconsin, Madison, WI. 121 p.
- Rosendahl L 1984 Rhizobium strain effects on yield and bleeding sap amino compounds in Pisum sativum. Physiol. Plant. 60, 215–220.
- Saito S M T, Montalheiro M N S, Victoria R L and Reichardt K 1984 The effects of N fertilizer and soil moisture on the nodulation and growth of Phaseolus vulgaris. J. Agric. Sci. 103, 87–93.
- Shelp B J and Ireland R J 1985 Ureide metabolism in leaves of nitrogen-fixing soybean plants. Plant Physiol. 77, 779–787.
- Smith D L, Dijak M and Humme D J 1988 The effect of water deficit on N2 fixation (C2H2) by white bean and soybean. Can. J. Plant. Sci. 68, 957–967.
- Smith DL and Humme DJ 1985 Effects of irrigation and fertilizer N on N2 (C2H2) fixation and yield of white bean and soybean. Can. J. Plant Sci. 65, 307–316.
- Streeter J G 1979 Allantoin and allantoic acid in tissues and stem from field-grown soybean plants. Plant Physiol. 63, 478–480.
- Thomas R J, Feller V and Erismann K H 1979 The effect of different inorganic nitrogen sources and plant age on the composition of bleeding sap of Phaseolus vulgaris. New Phytol. 82, 657–669.
- Thomas R J, Feller U and Erismann K H 1980 Ureido metabolism in non-nodulated Phaseolus vulgaris L. J. Exp. Bot. 121, 409–417.
- Thomas R J, McFerson J R, Schrader L E and Bliss F A 1984 Composition of bleeding sap nitrogen from lines of field-grown Phaseolus vulgaris L: Plant and Soil 79, 77–88.
- Wolyn D J, Attwell J, Ludden P W and Bliss F A 1989 Indirect measures of N2 fixation in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) under field conditions: the role of lateral root nodules. Plant and Soil 113, 181–187.
- Zapata F, Danso S K A, Hardarson G and Fried M 1987a Time course of nitrogen fixation in field-grown soybean using nitrogen-15 methodology. Agron. J. 79, 172–176.
- Zapata F, Danso S K A, Hardarson G and Fried M 1987b Nitrogen fixation and translocation in field-grown fababean. Agron. J. 79, 505–509.
- Time course of N2 fixation in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.)
Plant and Soil
Volume 152, Issue 1 , pp 115-121
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- common bean
- nitrogen assimilation
- nitrogen fixation
- nitrogen partitioning
- Industry Sectors