On an analytical-numerical procedure for the analysis of cylindrical shells with arbitrarily oriented cracks
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An analytical-numerical procedure for obtaining stress intensity factor solutions for an arbitrarily oriented crack in a long, thin circular cylindrical shell is presented. The method of analysis involves obtaining a series solution to the governing shell equation in terms of Mathieu and modified Mathieu functions by the method of separation of variables and satisfying the crack surface boundary conditions numerically using collocation. The solution is then transformed from elliptic coordinates to polar coordinates with crack tip as the origin through a Taylor series expansion and membrane and bending stress intensity factors are computed. Numerical results are presented and discussed for the pressure loading case.
- H.V. Lakshminarayana and M.V.V. Murthy, International Journal of Fracture 12 (1976) 547–566.
- M.V.V. Murthy, A.K. Rao and K.P. Rao, International Journal of Solids and Structures 10 (1974) 1243–1269.
- Mechanics of Fracture, Vol. 3, ed. G.C. Sih, Noordhoff International Publishing, Leyden (1977).
- E.S. Folias, International Journal of Fracture Mechanics 5 (1969) 327–346.
- J.G. Simmonds, M.R. Bradley and J.W. Nicholson, Journal of Applied Mechanics 45 (1978) 135–141.
- P.D. Ewing and J.G. Williams, International Journal of Fracture 10 (1974) 537–544.
- V.Z. Vlasov, General Theory of Shells and its Applications in Engineering, NASA Technical Translation, NASA TT F-99, April 1964.
- H.V. Lakshminarayana, Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (1980).
- N.W. McLachlan, Theory and Application of Mathieu Functions, Oxford University Press (1951).
- M.L. Williams, Journal of Applied Mechanics 24 (1957) 109–114.
- M.L. Williams, Journal of Applied Mechanics 28 (1961) 78–82.
- S. Krenk, International Journal of Fracture 14 (1978) 123–143.
- F. Delale and F. Erdogan, Quarterly of Applied Mathematics 37 (1979) 239–258.
- On an analytical-numerical procedure for the analysis of cylindrical shells with arbitrarily oriented cracks
International Journal of Fracture
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 257-275
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors