Zinc deficiency in rice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Zinc deficiency of rice is widespread throughout Asia on neutral to alkaline calcareous soils which contain more than 1 percent organic matter. Incidence of the deficiency appears more closely related to zinc availability than to total zinc content of the soil, and spontaneous recoveries of affected crops are common.
Results of the present study indicate that transient peaks in the concentration of bicarbonate and possibly of organic acids in the soil solution following soil submergence may induce temporary zinc deficiencies. In laboratory experiments with a known problem soil, bicarbonate concentration reached a peak of 42 mM 5 weeks after soil submergence, and the concentration of organic acids peaked at approximately 10 me/l after 4 weeks. Addition of cellulose to the soil raised bicarbonate concentrations substantially and organic acid concentrations slightly.
Solution culture studies with the variety IR8 showed that with a bicarbonate concentration of only 15 mM, transport of zinc to the shoots was reduced by more than 70 per cent. Under neutral to alkaline conditions, acetic acid at 10 me/l produced only slight reductions in zinc uptake and transport to the shoots. However at pH 4.5 the same concentrations of acetic acid reduced uptake by more than 90 per cent.
Delaying planting for 12 weeks after soil submergence to allow bicarbonate (and organic acid) concentrations to fall increased zinc uptake from three soils by from 53 to 84 per cent.
- Caroll, M. D., Loneragan, J. F. (1968) Response of plant species to concentrations of zinc in solution I. Growth and zinc content of plants. Australian J. Agr. Research 19: pp. 859-868
- Chapman, H. D., Zinc In Diagnostic Criteria for Plant and Soils. (Ed. H. D. Chapman, Univ. Calif. Div. Agr. Sc.) pp. 484–499 (1966).
- DiLallo, R., Albertson, O. E. (1961) Volatile acids by direct titration. J. Water Pollut. Control Fed. 33: pp. 356-365
- Duncan, O. W. (1967) Correction of zinc deficiency in linseed on the Darling Downs, Queensland. Queensland J. Agr. Animal Sci. 24: pp. 301-307
- Forno, D. A., Asher, C. J., Yoshida, S. (1975) Zinc deficiency in rice. II. Studies on two varieties differing in susceptibility to zinc deficiency. Plant and Soil 42: pp. 551-563
- Goss, J. A. (1960) Ammonium bicarbonate in plant nutrition. Soil Sci. 89: pp. 296-302
- Hoagland, D. R. (1948) Micronutrient chemical elements and plant growth. Lectures on the Inorganic Nutrition of Plants. Chronica Botanica Co., Waltham, Mass., U.S.A., pp. 26-47
- Hodgson, J. F. (1963) Chemistry of the micronutrient elements in soils. Adv. Agron. 15: pp. 119-154
- Annual Report for 1969. The International Rice Research Institute, Los Baños, Philippines
- Annual Report for 1970. The International Rice Research Institute, Los Baños, Philippines
- Annual Report for 1971. The International Rice Research Institute, Los Baños, Philippines
- Jurinak, J. J., Inouye, T. S. (1962) Some aspects of zinc and copper phosphate formation in aqueous systems. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 26: pp. 144-147
- Jurinak, J. J., Thorne, D. W. (1955) Zinc solubility under alkaline conditions in a zinc-bentonite system. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 19: pp. 446-448
- Karim, A. Q. M. B., Vlamis, J. (1962) Micronutrient deficiency symptoms of rice in nutrient culture solutions. Plant and Soil 16: pp. 347-360
- Lockard, R. G., Ballaux, J. C., Liongson, E. A. (1972) Response of rice plants grown in three potted Luzon soils to additions of boron, sulfur and zinc. Agron. J. 64: pp. 444-447
- Lindsay, W. I., Norwell, W. A. (1969) Equilibrium relationships of Zn+, Fe+, Ca+ and H+ with EDTA and DTPA in soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 33: pp. 62-68
- Navrot, J., Ravikovitch, S. (1969) Zinc availability in calcareous soils: III. The level and properties of calcium in soils and its influence on zinc availability. Soil Sci. 108: pp. 30-37
- Nene, Y. L., Symptoms, cause and control of Khaira disease of paddy. Bull. Ind. Phytopath Soc. No. 3, 97–191 (1966).
- Ponnamperuma, F. N. (1964) Dynamic aspects of flooded soils. the Mineral Nutrition of the Rice Plant. The International Rice Research Institute. Proc. Symposium, February 1964. John Hopkins Press, Baltimore, Maryland, pp. 295-328
- Prakhorov, V. M., Gromova, Ye. A. (1971) Effect of the pH and salt concentration on Zn sorption by soils. Soviet Soil Sci. 3: pp. 693-699
- Pratt, P. F., Carbonate and bicarbonate In Diagnotic Criteria for Plants and Soils (H. D. Chapman Ed., Univ. Calif. Div. Agr. Sc.) pp. 93–97 (1966).
- Sedberry, J. E., Engler, R. M., Peterson, F. J., Wilson, F. E. (1969) The effects of additions of zinc and limestone of the yield and chemical composition of rice. The Rice Journal 72: pp. 76-77
- Shiratori, K., Suzuki, T. and Miyoshi, H., (On a disease of rice plant similar to “Akagare” occurring in paddy field soil dredged from Tone River.) Bull. Chiba Agr. Exp. Sta., No. 9, 73–81 (1969). (In Japanese).
- Stevenson, F. J. Organic acids in soil. In: McLaren, A.D., Peterson, G. H. eds. (1967) Soil Biochemistry. Marcel Dekker, N. Y., pp. 119-146
- Takai, Y., Koyama, T., Kamura, T. (1956) Microbial metabolism in reduction process of paddy soils I. Soil and Plant Food 2: pp. 63-66
- Tanaka, A., Navasero, S. A. (1967) Carbon dioxide and organic acids in relation to the growth of rice. Soil Sci. and Plant Nutrition (Japan) 13: pp. 25-30
- Tanaka, A., Shimono, K., Ishizuka, Y. (1969) Zinc deficiency as the cause of the “Akagare” in the rice plants. J. Sci. Soil Manure, Japan 40: pp. 415-519
- Tanaka, A., Yoshida, S. (1970) Nutritional disorders of the rice plant in Asia. Philippines Tech. Bull.. The International Rice Research Institute, Los Baños, Laguna, pp. 35-36
- Thorne, W. (1957) Zinc deficiency and its control. Adv. Agron. 9: pp. 31-65
- Trierweiler, J. F., Lindsay, W. L. (1969) EDTA-ammonium carbonate soil test for Zn. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 33: pp. 49-54
- Udo, E. J., Bohn, H. L., Tucker, T. C. (1970) Zinc adsorption by calcareous soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 34: pp. 405-407
- Yoshida, S., Ahn, J. S., Forno, D. A. (1973) Occurrence, diagnosis and correction of zinc deficiency of lowland rice. Soil Sci. and Plant Nutrition (Japan) 19: pp. 83-93
- Yoshida, S., Forno, D. A., Bhadrachalam, A. (1971) Zinc deficiency of the rice plant on calcareous and neutral soils in the Philippines. Soil Sci. and Plant Nutrition (Japan) 17: pp. 83-87
- Yoshida, S., Forno, D. A., Cock, J. H., Gomez, K. (1972) Laboratory Manual for Physiological Studies of Rice. The International Rice Research Institute, Los Baños, Philippines
- Yoshida, S., Tanaka, A. (1969) Zinc deficiency of the rice plant in calcareous soils. Soil Sci. and Plant Nutrition 15: pp. 75-80
- Zinc deficiency in rice
Plant and Soil
Volume 42, Issue 3 , pp 537-550
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors