Depth-based coding of MVD data for 3D video extension of H.264/AVC
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes a novel approach of using depth information for advanced coding of associated video data in Multiview Video plus Depth (MVD)-based 3D video systems. As a possible implementation of this conception, we describe two coding tools that have been developed for H.264/AVC based 3D Video Codec as response to Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) Call for Proposals (CfP). These tools are Depth-based Motion Vector Prediction (DMVP) and Backward View Synthesis Prediction (BVSP). Simulation results conducted under JCT-3V/MPEG 3DV Common Test Conditions show, that proposed in this paper tools reduce bit rate of coded video data by 15% of average delta bit rate reduction, which results in 13% of bit rate savings on total for the MVD data over the state-of-the-art MVC+D coding.
Moreover, presented in this paper conception of depth-based coding of video has been further developed by MPEG 3DV and JCT-3V and this work resulted in even higher compression efficiency, bringing about 20% of delta bit rate reduction on total for coded MVD data over the reference MVC+D coding. Considering significant gains, proposed in this paper coding approach can be beneficial for development of new 3D video coding standards.
- Shibata, T, Kim, J, Hoffman, D M, Banks, M S (2011) The zone of comfort: predicting visual discomfort with stereo displays. Journal of Vision 11: pp. 11 CrossRef
- Smolic, A, Müller, K, Merkle, P, Atzpadin, N, Fehn, C, Müller, M, Schreer, O, Tanger, R, Kauff, P, Wiegand, T, Balogh, T, Megyesi, Z, Barsi, A (2007) Multi-view video plus depth (MVD) format for advanced 3D video systems. Joint Video Team, document JVT-W100.
- Advanced video coding for generic audiovisual services.
- MPEG document N12036.
- Applications and Requirements on 3D Video Coding, MPEG document, Online version: http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/working_documents/explorations/3dav/applications&requirements.zip
- B. Bross, W.-J. Han, G. J. Sullivan, J.-R. Ohm, and T. Wiegand (ed.) (2012) High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) text specification draft 8, JCTVC document J1003.
- Report of Subjective Test Results from the Call for Proposals on 3D Video Coding, Online: http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/working_documents/explorations/3dav/3d-test-report.zip
- Rusanovskyy, D, Hannuksela, M M (2011) Description of 3D video coding technology proposal by Nokia. MPEG document M22552.
- Schwarz, H, Bartnik, C, Bosse, S, Brust, H, Hinz, T, Lakshman, H, Marpe, D, Merkle, P, Müller, K, Rhee, H, Tech, G, Winken, M, Wiegand, T (2011) Description of 3D Video Coding Technology Proposal by Fraunhofer HHI (HEVC compatible, configuration A). MPEG document m22571.
- Online: http://phenix.int-evry.fr/jct3v/
- Y. Chen, M. M. Hannuksela, T. Suzuki, and S. Hattori, Overview of the MVC+D 3D video coding standard, Elsevier Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation. (In press)
- MVC+D and 3D-AVC reference software: 3DV-ATM version 5.1r2, available online: http://mpeg3dv.research.nokia.com/svn/mpeg3dv/tags/3DVATMv5.1r2/
- M. M. Hannuksela, Y. Chen, and T. Suzuki (ed.) (2013) 3DAVC draft text 5, JCT-3V document JCT3V-C1002.
- G. Tech, K. Wegner, Y. Chen, and S. Yea (ed.) (2012) 3DHEVC test model 1, JCT-3V document A1005.
- G. Tech, K. Wegner, Y. Chen, and M. M. Hannuksela (ed.), (2012) MV-HEVC working draft 1, JCT-3V document A1004.
- Fehn, C (2004) Depth-image-based rendering (DIBR) compression and transmission for a new approach on 3DTV. Proc. SPIE Conf. Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems XI 5291: pp. 93-104 CrossRef
- Zhang, J, Hannuksela, M M, Li, H (2010) Joint multiview video plus depth coding. Proc. IEEE ICIP. pp. 2865-2868
- Yea, S, Vetro, A (2009) View synthesis prediction for multiview video coding. Signal Processing: Image Communication 24: pp. 89-100 CrossRef
- D. Tian, P.-L. Lai, P. Lopez, and C. Gomila (2009) View synthesis techniques for 3D video, Proc. SPIE 7443, Applications of Digital Image Processing XXXII.
- Su, W, Rusanovskyy, D, Chen, L, Hannuksela, M (2011) CE1 — Low complexity block-based View Synthesis Prediction. MPEG document m24915, Geneva.
- Su, W, Rusanovskyy, D, Hannuksela, M M (2012) 3DVCE1. a: Block-based View Synthesis Prediction for 3DVATM. JCT-3V document A0107, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Lee, J Y, Lee, J, Park, D-S (2012) CE5.a results on interview motion vector derivation using max disparity in skip and direct modes. JCT-3V document B0149, Shanghai, China.
- Wu, C-L, Chang, Y-L, Tsai, Y-P, Lei, S (2012) 3D-CE1.a: interview skip/direct mode with sub-partition scheme. JCT-3V document B0094, Shanghai, China.
- Lin, J-L, Chen, Y-W, Guo, X, Chang, Y-L, Tsai, Y-P, Huang, Y-W, Lei, S (2012) 3D-CE5.a related motion vector competition-based Skip/Direct mode with explicit signaling. MPEG document m24847, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Rusanovskyy, D, Hannuksella, M M (2013) CE1.a-related: Simplification of BVSP in 3DV-ATM. JCT-3V document C0169, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Lin, J-L, Chen, Y-W, Huang, Y-W, Lei, S (2012) 3D-CE5.a related: Simplification on the disparity vector derivation for AVC-based 3D video coding. JCT-3V document A0045, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Su, W, Rusanovskyy, D, Hannuksela, M M, Li, H (2012) Depth-based motion vector prediction in 3D video coding. Proc. of Picture Coding Symposium.
- Rusanovskyy, D, Müller, K, Vetro, A (2012) Common Test Conditions of 3DV Core Experiments. JCT-3V document A1100, Stockholm.
- Bjøntegaard, G (2001) Calculation of average PSNR differences between RD-Curves. ITU-T SG16 Q.6, document VCEG-M33.
- Lee, J Y, Uchiumi, T, Lee, J, Yamamoto, Y, Park, D-S (2012) 3D-CE5.a results on joint proposal for an improved depth-based motion vector prediction method by Samsung and Sharp. MPEG document M24824, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Depth-based coding of MVD data for 3D video extension of H.264/AVC
- Online Date
- June 2013
- Online ISSN
- 3D Display Research Center
- Additional Links
- three-dimensional video
- video coding
- Industry Sectors