Resident Recruitment and Mental Health Parity
- William E. Greenberg
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To the editor:
The editorial by Roberts et al. in the September 2013 issue of Academic Psychiatry, “Strengthening Psychiatry’s Numbers”, provides an excellent and thoughtful review of the many and varied factors contributing to our field’s manpower crisis and possible approaches to address it . I would suggest giving one set of factors greater emphasis—our country’s systemic under-valuation of the medical needs of people with psychiatric illnesses, with continued and profound lack of parity in accessible treatments and services which are covered by their insurers, and the under-compensation of both the hospitals that serve them and the physicians and other clinicians who care for them.
As noted in the editorial, Lyons has highlighted a variety of factors that adversely impact medical students’ attitudes toward psychiatry. Among these are “perceived low status, prestige and financial reward of psychiatry…difficulties with the patient population and treatment, (and a) depressing and fru ...
- Roberts LW. Strengthening psychiatry’s numbers. Acad Psychiatry. 2013;37:293–6. CrossRef
- Lyons Z. Attitudes of medical students toward psychiatry and psychiatry as a career: a systematic review. Acad Psychiatry. 2013;37:150–7. CrossRef
- Nicks BA, Manthey DM. The impact of psychiatric patient boarding in emergency departments. Emerg Med Int. 2012;2012:360308. CrossRef
- Lieberman J, Kennedy P: Make good on mental health parity. The Hill’s Congress Blog; 2013. http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/healthcare/327013-make-good-on-mental-health-parity .
- Sharfstein S, Dickerson F. Hospital psychiatry for the twenty-first century. Health Aff. 2009;28:685–8. CrossRef
- Physician Compensation Report: 2013. Medscape; 2013. http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2013/public .
- Association of American Medical Colleges: Medical School Graduation Questionnaire; 2013 All Schools Summary Report. Washington, DC, 2013; https://www.aamc.org/download/350998/data/2013gqallschoolssummaryreport.pdf.
- Resident Recruitment and Mental Health Parity
Volume 38, Issue 2 , pp 244-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer New York
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA