Serum cystatin C and indices of lung function in elderly Chinese men with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this cross-sectional case–control study was to determine the relationship between serum cystatin C (sCysC) levels and lung function in elderly male patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
This study included 251 Chinese men (age ≥ 65 years) who were divided into COPD (n = 129) and non-COPD (n = 122) groups. Participants underwent lung function and laboratory testing, including measurement of sCysC levels. Relationships between sCysC concentration and indices of lung function were assessed by multiple regression analysis.
Participants in the COPD group displayed higher sCysC concentrations (P = 0.041) and lower lung function (P < 0.001) compared to participants in the non-COPD group. Multiple linear regression analyses revealed that the reciprocal of the sCysC concentration (1/sCysC) was positively associated with the predicted forced expiratory volume in 1 s in all subjects (β = 0.156, P = 0.009). The findings indicate that high sCysC levels were directly associated with decreased lung function in elderly Chinese men with COPD.
High sCysC concentration may be a potential indicator of impaired lung function, and its application may improve the diagnosis and assessment of COPD severity in elderly male patients.
- Serum cystatin C and indices of lung function in elderly Chinese men with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Aging Clinical and Experimental Research
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 193-199
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Cystatin C
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Lung function
- Elderly patient
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cardiology Division, Fu Wai Hospital and Cardiovascular Institute, National Center for Cardiovascular Diseases, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100037, China
- 2. Clinical Department of Geriatrics, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, 100853, China
- 3. Second Geriatric Cardiology Division, Department of Geriatrics, Chinese PLA General Hospital, 28 Fuxing Road, Beijing, 100853, China
- 4. First Geriatric Cardiology Division, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, 100853, China