Prevalence of orthorexia nervosa among ashtanga yoga practitioners: a pilot study
- Jesus Herranz ValeraAffiliated withLaboratory of Functional Foods, IMDEA-Food, CEI UAM+CSIC
- , Patricia Acuña RuizAffiliated withAshtanga Yoga MadridAshtanga Yoga Malaga
- , Borja Romero ValdespinoAffiliated withAshtanga Yoga Madrid
- , Francesco VisioliAffiliated withLaboratory of Functional Foods, IMDEA-Food, CEI UAM+CSIC Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Orthorexia nervosa (ON, i.e., fixation on righteous eating) is a poorly defined disordered eating behavior that results from a pathological obsession with food, its purported nutritional value, composition, origin, etc.
We investigated the prevalence of ON in a local ashtanga yoga community, by using a validated questionnaire (ORTO-15) that sets a threshold of ON diagnosis at ≤40.
Among the 136 respondents, the mean ORTO-15 score (which was normally distributed) was 35.27 ± 3.69, i.e., 86 % of respondents had an ORTO-15 score lower than 40 and no significant association with age or BMI was recorded. When we analyzed the differential distribution of orthorexia in our cohort, we recorded an association of ORTO-15 score and vegetarianism, i.e., the ORTO-15 score was lower among vegetarians.
The results of this pilot study should suggest ashtanga yoga teachers to avoid excessive reference to a healthy diet, which is natural component of yoga practice.
KeywordsOrthorexia nervosa Yoga Eating disorders Physical activity Vegetarianism
- Prevalence of orthorexia nervosa among ashtanga yoga practitioners: a pilot study
Eating and Weight Disorders - Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 469-472
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Orthorexia nervosa
- Eating disorders
- Physical activity
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Laboratory of Functional Foods, IMDEA-Food, CEI UAM+CSIC, C/Faraday 7, 28049, Madrid, Spain
- 1. Ashtanga Yoga Madrid, Madrid, Spain
- 3. Ashtanga Yoga Malaga, Malaga, Spain