Incidence and prevention of traumatic injuries in paediatric handball players in Istanbul, Turkey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To investigate the frequency of dental injuries in paediatric handball players. In addition, the players’ habits with regard to mouthguard usage, as well as their general knowledge of the prevention of traumatic dental injuries (TDIs) were investigated. Data were collected by structured one-to-one interviews with children of 14 randomly selected handball teams in the amateur national league.
The questionnaire consisted of 15 questions. The age, gender, trauma experience and league status of each interviewee was recorded. The interviews took place mainly at national championships or tournaments.
A total of 212 individuals, 74 girls and 138 boys, were interviewed. Forty-one of the 212 participants (19.3 %) had sustained a dental injury. The mean age of participants was 12 ± 1.6 years. Concussion was the most frequent finding and the cause of injury was a blow from another player. The number of individuals that were aware of mouthguards was only 15.6 % and surprisingly no players used mouthguards.
The results show that handball players need more knowledge and education considering the prevention of TDIs from their sports clubs and dentists. The importance of adequate facial protection in contact sports should be endorsed by all sports clubs, and parents advised accordingly.
- Andreasen JO. Etiology and pathogenesis of traumatic dental injuries. A clinical study of 1,298 cases. Scand J Dent Res. 1970;78:339–42.
- Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. 3rd ed. Copenhagen: Munksgaard; 1994. p. 719–35.
- Beachy G. Dental injuries in intermediate and high school athletes: a 15-year study at Punahou School. J Athl Train. 2004;39:310–5.
- Boffano P, Boffano M, Gallesio C, et al. Rugby athletes’ awareness and compliance in the use of mouthguards in the North West of Italy. Dent Traumatol. 2012;28:210–3. CrossRef
- Caglar E, Kargul B, Tanboga I. Dental trauma and mouthguard usage among ice hockey players in Turkey premier league. Dent Traumatol. 2005;21:29–31. CrossRef
- Dorney B. Dental screening for rugby players in New South Wales, Australia. FDI World. 1998;7:10–3.
- Farrington T, Pearson G, Taylor RL, Earl P, Winwood K. A review of facial protective equipment use in sport and the impact on injury incidence. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;50:233–8. CrossRef
- Federation Dentaire International (FDI). Commission on dental products. Working party no. 7; 1990.
- Ferrari CH, Ferreria de Mederios JM. Dental trauma and level of information: mouthguard use in different contact sports. Dent Traumatol. 2002;18:144–7. CrossRef
- Flanders RA, Bhat M. The incidence of orofacial injuries in sports: a pilot study in Illinois. J Am Dent Assoc. 1995;126:491–6.
- Francis KT, Brasher J. Physiological effects of wearing mouthguards. Br J Sports Med. 1991;25:227–31. CrossRef
- Heintz WD. Mouth protectors: a progress report. Bureau of Dental Health Education. J Am Dent Assoc. 1968;77:632–6.
- Hersberger S, Krastl G, Kühl S, Filippi A. Dental injuries in water polo, a survey of players in Switzerland. Dent Traumatol. 2012;28:287–90. CrossRef
- Jorgensen U. Epidemiology of injuries in typical Scandinavian team sports. Br J Sports Med. 1984;18:59–63. CrossRef
- Kececi AD. Dental trauma incidence and mouthguard use in elite athletes in Turkey. Dent Traumatol. 2005;21:76–9. CrossRef
- Kerr IL. Mouthguards for the prevention of injuries in contact team sports. Sports Med. 1986;3:415–27. CrossRef
- Knapik JJ, Marshall SW, Lee RB, et al. Mouthguards in sport activities: history, physical properties and injury prevention effectiveness. Sports Med. 2007;37:117–44. CrossRef
- Knobloch K, Rossner D, Jagodzinski M, et al. Prevention of school sport injuries—an analysis of ballsports with 2234 injuries. Sportverletz Sportschaden. 2005;19:82–8. CrossRef
- Lang B, Pohl Y, Filippi A. Knowledge and prevention of dental trauma in team handball in Switzerland and Germany. Dent Traumatol. 2002;18:329–34. CrossRef
- Maxén M, Kühl S, Krastl G, Filippi A. Eye injuries and orofacial traumas in floorball—a survey in Switzerland and Sweden. Dent Traumatol. 2011;27:95–101. CrossRef
- Newsome PR, Tran DC, Cooke MS. The role of the mouthguard in the prevention of sports-related dental injuries: a review. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2001;11:396–404. CrossRef
- Noy AF, Sarnat H, Amir E. Knowledge of elementary school teachers in Tel-Aviv, Israel, regarding emergency care of dental injuries. Dent Traumatol. 2011;27:252–4. CrossRef
- Onyeaso C. Secondary school athletes: a study of mouthguards. J Nat Med Assoc. 2004;96:240–5.
- Persic R. Dental squash injuries—a survey among players and coaches in Switzerland, Germany and France. Dent Traumatol. 2006;22:231–6.
- Quarrie KL, Gianotti SM, Chalmers DJ, Hopkins WG. An evaluation of mouthguard requirements and dental injuries in New Zealand rugby union. Br J Sports Med. 2005;39:650–1. CrossRef
- Ranalli DN. Sports dentistry and dental traumatology. Dent Traumatol. 2002;18:231–6. CrossRef
- Sane J, Lindqvist C, Kontio R. Sports-related maxillofacial fractures in a hospital material. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1988;17:122–4. CrossRef
- Tulunoglu I, Ozbek M. Oral trauma, mouthguard awareness, and use in two contact sports in Turkey. Dent Traumatol. 2006;22:242–6.
- Yde J, Nielsen AB. Sports injuries in adolescents’ ball games: soccer, handball and basketball. Br J Sports Med. 1990;24:51–4. CrossRef
- Incidence and prevention of traumatic injuries in paediatric handball players in Istanbul, Turkey
European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 41-45
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Handball player
- Dental trauma
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Marmara University, Buyukciftlik Sok. No: 6, Nisantasi, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2. Department of Paediatric Dentistry, University Dental School and Hospital, Glasgow, UK