Sociodemographic Determinants in Preventive Tests for Cardiovascular Diseases in a Representative Sample of the Adult Greek Population
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of the current study is to investigate the use of preventive healthcare services by the adult Greek population and the factors that determine such use.
Data were obtained from a national household survey (Hellas Health I) conducted during 2006. The survey population consisted of 1,005 individuals, with a mean age of 47.4 years. Candidate respondents were selected by means of a three-stage, proportional to size, sampling design. Chi-square tests and logistic regression analyses were used (p < 0.05).
Among the determinants of performance of screening tests, gender, age, marital status, the presence of chronic illness and self-reported health status and the use of a family doctor play an important role.
According to the findings of our study, screening tests are performed in a low percentage of the Greek population, even for individuals at increased risk for cardiovascular disease. It is obvious that doctors should focus more on such population groups, while national health policies promoting screening tests and prevention in general are warranted.
- Marin MG, Zitter JN. Expenditures associated with preventive healthcare. Prev Med. 2004;39:856–62. CrossRef
- Nelson DE, Bland S, Powell-Griner E, Klein R, Wells HE, Hogelin G, Marks JS. State trends in health risk factors and receipt of clinical preventive services among US adults during the 1990s. JAMA. 2002;287(20):2659–67. CrossRef
- Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JL. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA. 2004;291(10):1238–45. CrossRef
- Evans CD, Eurich DT, Taylor JG, Blackburn DF. The Collaborative Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in Primary Care (CCARP) study. Pharmacotherapy. 2010;30(8):766–75. CrossRef
- Gupta D, Wenger NK. Guidelines for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in women: international challenges and opportunities. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2012;10(3):379–85. CrossRef
- European Guidelines on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice: executive summary. Fourth joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice. Eur Heart J 2007;28(19):2375–2414.
- Pearson TA, Blair SN, Daniels SR, Eckel RH, Fair JM, Fortmann SP, et al. AHA guidelines for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and stroke: 2002 Update. Consensus panel guide to comprehensive risk reduction for adult patients without coronary or other atherosclerotic vascular diseases. Circulation. 2002;106:388–91. CrossRef
- Mosialos E, Allin S, Davaki K. Analyzing the Greek health system: a tale of fragmentation and inertia. Health Econ. 2005;14(S1):151–68. CrossRef
- Tountas Y, Karnaki P, Pavi E, Souliotis K. The ‘unexpected’ growth of the private health sector in Greece. Health Policy. 2005;74:167–80. CrossRef
- Tountas Y, Oikonomou N, Pallikarona G, Dimitrakaki C, Tzavara C, Souliotis K, Mariolis A, Pappa E, Kontodimopoulos N, Niakas D. Sociodemographic and socioeconomic determinants of health services utilization in Greece: the Hellas Health I study. Health Serv Manage Res. 2011;24(1):8–18. CrossRef
- Esomar. Standard demographic segmentation, a system of international socio-economic classification of respondents to survey research, 1994 [online]. http://www.esomar.org/index.php/glossary-s.html. Accessed 4 Jan 2012.
- Ware JE, Kosinski M, Keller SD. SF-36 Physical and mental health summary scales: a user’s manual. Boston: The Health Institute; 1994.
- Hanratty B, Zhang T, Whitehead M. How close have universal health systems come to achieving equity in use of curative services? A systematic review. Int J Health Serv. 2007;37:89–109. CrossRef
- Pardell H, Roure E, Drygas W, Morava E, Nussel E, Puska P, et al. East-West differences in reported preventive practices: a comparative study of six European areas of the WHO-CINDI program. Eur J Public Health. 2001;11(4):393–6. CrossRef
- Ealovega M, Tabaei B, Brandle M, Burke R, Herman W. Opportunistic screening for diabetes in routine clinical practice. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:9–12. CrossRef
- Viera A, Thorpe J, Garrett M. Effects of sex, age and visits on receipt of preventive healthcare services: a secondary analysis of national data. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006;6:15. CrossRef
- Waldron I. Sex differences in illness incidence, prognosis and mortality: issues and evidence. Soc Sci Med. 1983;17:1107–23. CrossRef
- Verbrugge LM, Wingard DL. Sex differentials in health and mortality. Women Health. 1987;12:103–45. CrossRef
- Bertakis KD, Azaris R, Helms LJ, Callahan EJ, Robbins JA. Gender differences in the utilization of health services. J Fam Pract. 2000;49:147–52.
- Kern L, Callahan M, Brillon D, Vargas M, Mushlin A. Glucose testing and insufficient follow-up of abnormal results: a cohort study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006;6:87. CrossRef
- Stewart F. Root causes of violent conflict in developing countries. BMJ. 2002;324:342–5. CrossRef
- Mosialos E. Utilization of healthcare services in Greece [in Greek]. Athens: Anixi publications; 1990.
- Cornelius LJ, Smith PL, Simpson PL. What factors hinder women of colors from obtaining preventive health care? Am J Public Health. 2002;92:535–8. CrossRef
- Steven ID, Dickens E, Thomas SA, Browing C, Eckerman E. Preventive care and continuity of attendance: is there a risk? Aust Fam Physician. 1998;27(Suppl. 1):S44–6.
- Jm Lambrew, DeFriese Gh, Carey TS, Ricketss TC, Biddle AK. The effects of having a regular doctor on access to primary care. Med Care. 1996;34:138–51. CrossRef
- Finkelstein M. Preventive screening. What factors influence testing. Can Fam Physician. 2002;48:1494–501.
- Sociodemographic Determinants in Preventive Tests for Cardiovascular Diseases in a Representative Sample of the Adult Greek Population
High Blood Pressure & Cardiovascular Prevention
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 81-87
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Preventive healthcare services
- Sociodemographic determinants
- Industry Sectors