Natalizumab: a guide to its use in relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The humanized monoclonal antibody natalizumab (Tysabri®) is the first targeted therapy to be approved for the treatment of relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS). The annualized relapse rate, the risk of sustained progression of disability and the number of T2-hyperintense and gadolinium-enhancing lesions on magnetic resonance imaging were significantly lower with intravenous natalizumab than with placebo at 2 years in patients with RRMS in a phase III trial. In addition, treatment with natalizumab was generally associated with improved health-related quality of life and was well tolerated. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) is an uncommon complication of treatment with natalizumab. As long as the risk of PML is managed effectively, natalizumab is a valuable therapeutic option for adults with highly active relapsing forms of MS.
- Nylander A, Hafler DA. Multiple sclerosis. J Clin Invest. 2012;122(4):1180–8. CrossRef
- Compston A, Coles A. Multiple sclerosis. Lancet. 2008;372(9648):1502–17. CrossRef
- McCormack PL. Natalizumab: a review of its use in the management of relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis. Drugs. 2013;73(13):1463–81. CrossRef
- Goodin DS, Frohman EM, Garmany GP Jr, et al. Disease modifying therapies in multiple sclerosis: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the MS Council for Clinical Practice Guidelines. Neurology. 2002;58(2):169–78. CrossRef
- Tysabri (natalizumab) concentrate for solution for infusion: EU summary of product characteristics. London: European Medicines Agency; 2013.
- Polman CH, O’Connor PW, Havrdova E, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of natalizumab for relapsing multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med. 2006;354(9):899–910. CrossRef
- Rudick RA, Stuart WH, Calabresi PA, et al. Natalizumab plus interferon beta-1a for relapsing multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med. 2006;354(9):911–23. CrossRef
- Kamat SA, Rajagopalan K, Stephenson JJ, et al. Impact of natalizumab on patient-reported outcomes in a clinical practice setting: a cross-sectional survey. Patient. 2009;2(2):105–12. CrossRef
- Olofsson S, Wickstrom A, Hager Glenngard A, et al. Effect of treatment with natalizumab on ability to work in people with multiple sclerosis: productivity gain based on direct measurement of work capacity before and after 1 year of treatment. Biodrugs. 2011;25(5):299–306.
- Rudick RA, Miller D, Hass S, et al. Health-related quality of life in multiple sclerosis: effects of natalizumab. Ann Neurol. 2007;62(4):335–46. CrossRef
- Goodman A, O’Connor P, Polman C, et al. Updated safety and efficacy of natalizumab in the ongoing STRATA study [abstract]. Mult Scler. 2011;17(10 Suppl 1):S444–5.
- Polman C, Goodman A, Kappos L, et al. Efficacy and safety of natalizumab in the STRATA study [abstract no. P06.173]. In: 62nd annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology, 10–17 Apr 2010, Toronto (ON).
- Kappos L, Belachew S, Butzkueven H, et al. Long-term safety and efficacy and association between baseline treatment history and postbaseline relapses in multiple sclerosis patients treatment with natalizumab in the Tysabri® observational program (TOP) [abstract no. P04.134]. Neurology. 2012;78(Suppl).
- Panzara MA, Bozic C, Sandrock AW. More on melanoma with transdifferentiation. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(1):99 (author reply 100).
- Calabresi PA, Giovannoni G, Confavreux C, et al. The incidence and significance of anti-natalizumab antibodies: results from AFFIRM and SENTINEL. Neurology. 2007;69(14):1391–403. CrossRef
- Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry. Mulitple sclerosis research: natalizumab PML update: September 2013. 2013. http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/natalizumab-pml-update-september-2013.html. Accessed 29 Nov 2013.
- Plavina T, Subramanyam M, Bloomgren G, et al. Anti-JCV antibody index further defines PML risk in natalizuamb-treated MS patients [poster]. In: 27th annual meeting of the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers; 29 May to 1 Jun 2013, Orlando (FL).
- Plavina T, Subramanyam M, Bloomgren G, et al. Use of JV virus antibody index to stratify risk of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in natalizumab-treated patients with multiple sclerosis [abstract no. O228]. J Neurol. 2013;260(Suppl 1):S13.
- Schwab N, Schneider-Hohendorf T, Posevitz V, et al. L-Selectin is a possible biomarker for individual PML risk in natalizumab-treated MS patients. Neurology. 2013;81(10):865–71. CrossRef
- Natalizumab: a guide to its use in relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis
Drugs & Therapy Perspectives
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 48-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links