- Mark Sanford
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This review focuses on the efficacy and tolerability of lurasidone, which is approved in the USA, Puerto Rico and Canada for the treatment of schizophrenia. In two placebo-controlled, phase II trials, lurasidone 40–120 mg/day was efficacious in reducing the acute symptoms of schizophrenia. In a third phase II trial, the lurasidone groups and haloperidol control group failed to separate from placebo on key endpoints. In two placebo- and active treatment-controlled, phase III trials, lurasidone at dosages of 40–160 mg/day, olanzapine 15 mg/day and quetiapine extended-release (XR) 600 mg/day were efficacious in reducing the symptoms of schizophrenia. In a 12-month, double-blind extension trial, the relapse rate in lurasidone recipients was noninferior to that in quetiapine XR recipients. In a third phase III trial, lurasidone 80 mg/day, but not 40 or 120 mg/day, was more efficacious than placebo for the primary endpoint. In an unpublished trial, there were no significant differences between lurasidone, active comparator and placebo groups on the primary endpoint. Lurasidone was generally well tolerated over the short and longer term. Extrapyramidal symptoms and akathisia occurred in ≈10–13 % of patients. Lurasidone was associated with a low risk of QT interval prolongation, weight gain, metabolic disturbances and hyperprolactinaemia. Further trials against other antipsychotics are needed to fully evaluate its efficacy and tolerability.
- van Os J, Kapur S. Schizophrenia. Lancet. 2009;374(9690):635–45. CrossRef
- Kane JM, Correll CU. Past and present progress in the pharmacological treatment of schizophrenia. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71(9):1115–24. CrossRef
- Jindal RD, Keshavan MS. Classifying antipsychotic agents: need for new terminology. CNS Drugs. 2008;22(12):1047–59. CrossRef
- Hopkins CR. ACS chemical neuroscience molecule spotlight on Latuda (lurasidone; SM-13,496). ACS Chem Neurosci. 2011;2(2):58–9. CrossRef
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc. Latuda (lurasidone hydrochloride) tablets, for oral use: US prescribing information. 2012. http://latuda.com/LatudaPrescribingInformation.pdf. Accessed 2012 Sep 12.
- Ishibashi T, Horisawa T, Tokuda K, et al. Pharmacological profile of lurasidone, a novel antipsychotic agent with potent 5-hydroxytryptamine 7 (5-HT7) and 5-HT1A receptor activity. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;334(1):171–81. CrossRef
- Fumagalli F, Calabrese F, Luoni A, et al. Modulation of BDNF expression by repeated treatment with the novel antipsychotic lurasidone under basal condition and in response to acute stress. Int J Neuropsychopharmcol. 2012;15(2):235–46. CrossRef
- Yuen EY, Li X, Wei J, et al. The novel antipsychotic drug lurasidone enhances N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor-mediated synaptic responses. Mol Pharmacol. 2012;81(2):113–9. CrossRef
- Enomoto T, Ishibashi T, Tokuda K, et al. Lurasidone reverses MK-801-induced impairment of learning and memory in the Morris water maze and radial-arm maze tests in rats. Behav Brain Res. 2008;186(2):197–207. CrossRef
- Enomoto T. Effects of the novel antipsychotic lurasidone on prefrontal cognitive functioning in rats [abstract no. 646.24/V36]. 39th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Chicago, IL; 2009.
- Ikeda K, Fukuoka T, Ikejiri M, et al. Cognitive enhancing effects of lurasidone in non-human primates: object retrieval with detours, a test of executive function [abstract]. Int J Neuropsychopharmcol. 2010;13:94–5.
- Horiguchi M, Hannaway KE, Adelekun AE, et al. Subchronic treatment with lurasidone has both preventive and enduring reversal effects on the phencyclidine (PCP)-induced deficit in novel object recognition (NOR) in rats [abstract]. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:S436.
- Potkin SG, Keator DB, Preda A, et al. D2 receptor occupancy measured with 18F-fallypride following lurasidone treatment in schizophrenia patients [abstract]. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:S173.
- Harvey PD, Murasaki M, Cucchiaro J, et al. A three arm dose finding study of lurasidone: efficacy and tolerability data [abstract]. Schizophr Res. 2010;117(2–3):374–5. CrossRef
- Chiu Y, Gu K, Poola N, et al. Effect of hepatic impairment on the pharmacokinetics of lurasidone [abstract]. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2011;89:S32.
- Preskorn S, Chiu YY, Sarubbi D, et al. Lurasidone pharmacokinetics: assessment of potential for drug-drug interactions [abstract]. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35:S395.
- Ogasa M, Kimura T, Nakamura M, et al. Lurasidone in the treatment of schizophrenia: a 6-week placebo-controlled study. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012 February 19 (Epub).
- Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research. Medical review lurasidone 2010. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2010/200603Orig1s000MedR.pdf. Accessed 2012 Sep 12.
- Nakamura M, Ogasa M, Guarino J, et al. Lurasidone in the treatment of acute schizophrenia: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70(6):829–36. CrossRef
- Meltzer HY, Cucchiaro J, Silva R, et al. Lurasidone in the treatment of schizophrenia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo- and olanzapine-controlled study. Am J Psychiatry. 2011;168(9):957–67. CrossRef
- Loebel A, Cucchiaro J, Pikalov A, et al. Lurasidone in the treatment of acute schizophrenia: results of the double-blind, placebo-controlled, 6-week, pearl 3 trial [abstract]. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35:S313–4.
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co Ltd. Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma announces Pan-Asia study results for lurasidone, an atypical antipsychotic agent, in the treatment of schizophrenia [media release]. 2011. http://www.ds-pharma.com.
- Pikalov A, Cucchiaro J, Sarma K, et al. Lurasidone in the acute treatment of schizophrenia: results of the double-blind placebo- and quetiapine XR-controlled 6-week study of lurasidone in adult patients with schizophrenia [abstract no. 225]. Poster presented at the 26th Annual US Psychiatric and Mental Health Congress. 2011 Nov 7-10, Las Vegas, NEV.
- Stahl S, Cucchiaro J, Simonelli D, et al. Long-term safety and tolerability of lurasidone in subjects with schizophrenia: results of a 6-month, open-label study [abstract]. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35:S316–7. CrossRef
- Loebel A, Cucchiaro J, Xu J, et al. Relapse prevention with lurasidone vs. quetiapine XR in chronic schizophrenia: results of a 12-month, double-blind study. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:S101.
- Harvey PD, Ogasa M, Cucchiaro J, et al. Performance and interview-based assessments of cognitive change in a randomized, double-blind comparison of lurasidone vs. ziprasidone. Schizophr Res. 2011;127(1–3):188–94. CrossRef
- Citrome L. Lurasidone for the acute treatment of adults with schizophrenia: what is the number needed to treat, number needed to harm, and likelihood to be helped or harmed? Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses. 2012;6(2):76–85. CrossRef
- Harvey P, Cucchiaro J, Pikalov A, et al. Cognitive performance in patients with schizophrenia treated with lurasidone: results from a placebo- and active-controlled acute phase study followed by a 6 month double-blind extension [abstract]. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:S169–70. CrossRef
- Newcomer JW, Siu C, Pikalov A, et al. Impact of lurasidone and olanzapine on framingham 10-year coronary heart disease risk estimate in schizophrenia [abstract]. Schizophr Bull. 2011;37:316. CrossRef
- Citrome L, Cucchiaro J, Sarma K, et al. Long-term safety and tolerability of lurasidone in schizophrenia: a 12-month, double-blind, active-controlled study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2012;27(3):165–76. CrossRef
- Sunovien. PEARL Schizophrenia Maintenance study (NCT01435928) [online]. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01435928. Accessed Oct 9 2012.
Volume 27, Issue 1 , pp 67-80
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing AG
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Mark Sanford (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Adis, 41 Centorian Drive, Private Bag 65901, Mairangi Bay North Shore, 0754, Auckland, New Zealand