Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Vismodegib is the first Hedgehog pathway inhibitor to be approved in the USA, where it is indicated for the treatment of adults with metastatic basal cell carcinoma (BCC), or with locally advanced BCC that has recurred following surgery or who are not candidates for surgery, and who are not candidates for radiation. In an ongoing, noncomparative, phase II trial, oral vismodegib was effective in and had an acceptable tolerability profile in the treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic BCC.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®): basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers (version 2.2012). Fort Washington (PA): National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc.; 2012.
- Weinstock MA, Still JM. Assessing current treatment options for patients with severe/advanced basal cell carcinoma. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2011;30(4 Suppl):S10–3. CrossRef
- Harris LG, Samant RS, Shevde LA. Hedgehog signaling: networking to nurture a promalignant tumor microenvironment. Mol Cancer Res. 2011;9(9):1165–74. CrossRef
- LoRusso PM, Rudin CM, Reddy JC, et al. Phase I trial of hedgehog pathway inhibitor vismodegib (GDC-0449) in patients with refractory, locally advanced or metastatic solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17(8):2502–11. CrossRef
- Erivedge™ (vismodegib) capsule for oral use: US prescribing information. South San Francisco (CA): Genentech, Inc.; 2012 Jan.
- Robarge KD, Brunton SA, Castanedo GM, et al. GDC-0449: a potent inhibitor of the hedgehog pathway. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2009;19(19):5576–81. CrossRef
- Von Hoff DD, LoRusso PM, Rudin CM, et al. Inhibition of the hedgehog pathway in advanced basal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(12):1164–72. CrossRef
- Sekulic A, Migden MR, Oro AE, et al. Efficacy and safety of vismodegib in advanced basal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2012;366(23):2171–9. CrossRef
- Sekulic A, Migden MR, Oro AE, et al. Efficacy and safety of the Hedgehog pathway inhibitor vismodegib in patients with advanced basal cell carcinoma (BCC): ERIVANCE BCC study update [abstract no. 8579]. 48th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2012 Jun 1–5; Chicago.
- Keating GM. Vismodegib in locally advanced or metastatic basal cell carcinoma. Drugs. 2012;72(11):1535–41. CrossRef
American Journal of Clinical Dermatology
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 61-64
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing AG
- Additional Links