HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitors in Chronic Kidney Disease
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The incidence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) is on the rise in the USA. Cardiovascular events are the leading cause of death in this patient population, therefore reducing the risk of these events has become a major focus. The aim of this review is to assess current literature on the use of statins in CKD and end-stage renal disease. Cholesterol reduction is important in preventing the development and progression of coronary heart disease and its negative effects. Statins have been widely studied and proven to reduce cardiovascular risk in the general population. The information gained from trials has been extrapolated to special populations, including CKD, despite these patients often being excluded. However, recent studies have begun to focus on CKD, hemodialysis, and transplant patients and the use of cholesterol-lowering agents and the potential association with decreased cardiovascular events. In addition, due to the unique pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes that occur in these patients, choosing the appropriate cholesterol-lowering agent becomes important for both safety and efficacy. The complexity of CKD patients is an important consideration when choosing cholesterol-lowering medication. Patients with CKD are often on medications that may interact with many of the cholesterol-lowering agents. Ensuring drug interactions are minimized is essential to the prevention of adverse events from the medications.
- National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. Circulation 2002;106(25):3143–421.
- Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol In Adults. Executive Summary of The Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol In Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 2001;285(19):2486–97.
- US Renal Data System. USRDS 2006 annual data report: atlas of end-stage renal disease in the United States. Bethesda (MD): National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2006.
- Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (K/DOQI) Group. K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for management of dyslipidemias in patients with kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis 2003;41(4 Suppl 3):I-91.
- Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D, McCulloch CE, Hsu CY. Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med. 2004;351(13):1296–305. CrossRef
- Anavekar NS, McMurray JJ, Velazquez EJ, et al. Relation between renal dysfunction and cardiovascular outcomes after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2004;351(13):1285–95. CrossRef
- Fellström B, Holdaas H, Jardine AG, et al. Cardiovascular disease in patients with renal disease: the role of statins. Curr Med Res Opin. 2009;25(1):271–85. CrossRef
- Wanner C, Krane V, Marz W, et al. Atorvastatin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus undergoing hemodialysis. N Engl J Med. 2005;353(3):238–48. CrossRef
- Fellstrom BC, Jardine AG, Schmieder RE, et al. Rosuvastatin and cardiovascular events in patients undergoing hemodialysis. N Engl J Med. 2009;14:1395–407. CrossRef
- Baigent C, Landray MJ, Reith C, et al. The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with simvastatin plus ezetimibe in patients with chronic kidney disease (Study of Heart and Renal Protection): a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2011;377(9784):2181–92. CrossRef
- Kasiske BL, O’Donnell MP, Garvis WJ, Keane WF. Pharmacologic treatment of hyperlipidemia reduces glomerular injury in rat 5/6 nephrectomy model of chronic renal failure. Circ Res. 1988;62(2):367–74. CrossRef
- Kasiske BL, Wanner C, O’Neill WC. An assessment of statin safety by nephrologists. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97(8A):82C–5C.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. US FDA. FDA: limit use of 80 mg simvastatin. 2011 Jun 8 [Consumer update]. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm257884.htm (Accessed)
- Waters DD, Ho JE, DeMicco DA, et al. Predictors of new-onset diabetes in patients treated with atorvastatin: results from 3 large randomized clinical trials. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;57(14):1535–45. CrossRef
- Greving JP, Visseren FL, de Wit GA, Algra A. Statin treatment for primary prevention of vascular disease: whom to treat? Cost-effectiveness analysis. BMJ. 2011;342:d1672. CrossRef
- Blum A, Shamburek R. The pleiotropic effects of statins on endothelial function, vascular inflammation, immunomodulation and thrombogenesis. Atherosclerosis. 2009;203(2):325–30. CrossRef
- Sadowitz B, Maier KG, Gahtan V. Basic science review: statin therapy—part I: the pleiotropic effects of statins in cardiovascular disease. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2010;44(4):241–51. CrossRef
- Bellosta S, Paoletti R, Corsini A. Safety of statins: focus on clinical pharmacokinetics and drug interactions. Circulation. 2004;109(23 Suppl 1):III50–7.
- Munar MY, Singh H. Drug dosing adjustments in patients with chronic kidney disease. Am Fam Phys. 2007;75(10):1487–96.
- Coresh J, Longenecker JC, Miller ER III, Young HJ, Klag MJ. Epidemiology of cardiovascular risk factors in chronic renal disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1998;9(12 Suppl):S24–30.
- Liu Y, Coresh J, Eustace JA, et al. Association between cholesterol level and mortality in dialysis patients: role of inflammation and malnutrition. JAMA. 2004;291(4):451–9. CrossRef
- Radhakrishnan J, Appel AS, Valeri A, Appel GB. The nephrotic syndrome, lipids, and risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 1993;22(1):135–42.
- Kronenberg F, Lingenhel A, Lhotta K, et al. Lipoprotein(a)- and low-density lipoprotein-derived cholesterol in nephrotic syndrome: impact on lipid-lowering therapy? Kidney Int. 2004;66(1):348–54. CrossRef
- Rayner HC, Ross-Gilbertson VL, Walls J. The role of lipids in the pathogenesis of glomerulosclerosis in the rat following subtotal nephrectomy. Eur J Clin Invest. 1990;20(1):97–104. CrossRef
- Bianchi S, Bigazzi R, Caiazza A, Campese VM. A controlled, prospective study of the effects of atorvastatin on proteinuria and progression of kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;41(3):565–70. CrossRef
- Tonelli M, Isles C, Curhan GC, et al. Effect of pravastatin on cardiovascular events in people with chronic kidney disease. Circulation. 2004;110(12):1557–63. CrossRef
- Shepherd J, Kastelein JJ, Bittner V, et al. Effect of intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin on renal function in patients with coronary heart disease: the Treating to New Targets (TNT) study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;2(6):1131–9. CrossRef
- Abe M, Maruyama N, Okada K, Matsumoto S, Matsumoto K, Soma M. Effects of lipid-lowering therapy with rosuvastatin on kidney function and oxidative stress in patients with diabetic nephropathy. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2011;18(11):1018–28. CrossRef
- Lee TM, Su SF, Tsai CH. Effect of pravastatin on proteinuria in patients with well-controlled hypertension. Hypertension. 2002;40(1):67–73. CrossRef
- Molnar AO, Coca SG, Devereaux PJ, et al. Statin use associates with a lower incidence of acute kidney injury after major elective surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22(5):939–46. CrossRef
- Ruggenenti P, Perna A, Tonelli M, et al. Effects of add-on fluvastatin therapy in patients with chronic proteinuric nephropathy on dual renin–angiotensin system blockade: the ESPLANADE trial. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5(11):1928–38. CrossRef
- Navaneethan SD, Pansini F, Perkovic V, et al. HMG CoA reductase inhibitors (statins) for people with chronic kidney disease not requiring dialysis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(2):CD007784.
- Palmer SC, Craig JC, Navaneethan SD, Tonelli M, Pellegrini F, Strippoli GF. Benefits and harms of statin therapy for persons with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157(4):263–75. CrossRef
- Holdaas H, Fellstrom B, Jardine AG, et al. Effect of fluvastatin on cardiac outcomes in renal transplant recipients: a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;361(9374):2024–31. CrossRef
- Younas N, Wu CM, Shapiro R, et al. HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors in kidney transplant recipients receiving tacrolimus: statins not associated with improved patient or graft survival. BMC Nephrol. 2010;11:5. CrossRef
- Neuvonen PJ, Niemi M, Backman JT. Drug interactions with lipid-lowering drugs: mechanisms and clinical relevance. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006;80(6):565–81. CrossRef
- Mammen AL, Amato AA. Statin myopathy: a review of recent progress. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2010;22(6):644-50.
- Chatzizisis YS, Koskinas KC, Misirli G, Vaklavas C, Hatzitolios A, Giannoglou GD. Risk factors and drug interactions predisposing to statin-induced myopathy: implications for risk assessment, prevention and treatment. Drug Saf. 2010;33(3):171–87. CrossRef
- Pasanen MK, Neuvonen M, Neuvonen PJ, Niemi M. SLCO1B1 polymorphism markedly affects the pharmacokinetics of simvastatin acid. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2006;16(12):873–9. CrossRef
- Bader T. The myth of statin-induced hepatotoxicity. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010;105(5):978–80. CrossRef
- McKenney JM, Davidson MH, Jacobson TA, Guyton JR. Final conclusions and recommendations of the National Lipid Association Statin Safety Assessment Task Force. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97(8A):89C–94C.
- Omar MA, Wilson JP. FDA adverse event reports on statin-associated rhabdomyolysis. Ann Pharmacother. 2002;36(2):288–95. CrossRef
- Omar MA, Wilson JP, Cox TS. Rhabdomyolysis and HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. Ann Pharmacother. 2001;35(9):1096–107. CrossRef
- Graham DJ, Staffa JA, Shatin D, et al. Incidence of hospitalized rhabdomyolysis in patients treated with lipid-lowering drugs. JAMA. 2004;292(21):2585–90. CrossRef
- Olyaei AJ, Bennett WM. Drug dosing in the elderly patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin Geriatr Med. 2009;25(3):459–527. CrossRef
- Sawara Y, Takei T, Uchida K, et al. Effects of lipid-lowering therapy with rosuvastatin on atherosclerotic burden in patients with chronic kidney disease. Intern Med. 2008;47(17):1505–10. CrossRef
- Isbel NM, Haluska B, Johnson DW, Beller E, Hawley C, Marwick TH. Increased targeting of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with chronic kidney disease does not improve atheroma burden or cardiovascular function. Am Heart J. 2006;151(3):745–53. CrossRef
- Pyorala K, Pedersen TR, Kjekshus J, Faergeman O, Olsson AG, Thorgeirsson G. Cholesterol lowering with simvastatin improves prognosis of diabetic patients with coronary heart disease. A subgroup analysis of the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S). Diabetes Care. 1997;20(4):614–20. CrossRef
- Kendrick J, Shlipak MG, Targher G, Cook T, Lindenfeld J, Chonchol M. Effect of lovastatin on primary prevention of cardiovascular events in mild CKD and kidney function loss: a post hoc analysis of the Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010;55(1):42–9. CrossRef
- Nakamura H, Mizuno K, Ohashi Y, Yoshida T, Hirao K, Uchida Y. Pravastatin and cardiovascular risk in moderate chronic kidney disease. Atherosclerosis. 2009;206(2):512–7. CrossRef
- Nakamura H, Arakawa K, Itakura H, et al. Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with pravastatin in Japan (MEGA Study): a prospective randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2006;368(9542):1155–63. CrossRef
- Holme I, Fayyad R, Faergeman O, et al. Cardiovascular outcomes and their relationships to lipoprotein components in patients with and without chronic kidney disease: results from the IDEAL trial. J Intern Med. 2010;267(6):567–75. CrossRef
- Baigent C, Landray M, Leaper C, et al. First United Kingdom Heart and Renal Protection (UK-HARP-I) study: biochemical efficacy and safety of simvastatin and safety of low-dose aspirin in chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;45(3):473–84. CrossRef
- Bianchi S, Bigazzi R, Campese VM. Intensive versus conventional therapy to slow the progression of idiopathic glomerular diseases. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010;55(4):671–81. CrossRef
- Shibui T, Nakagomi A, Kusama Y, Atarashi H, Mizuno K. Impact of statin therapy on renal function and long-term prognosis in acute coronary syndrome patients with chronic kidney disease. Int Heart J. 2010;51(5):312–8. CrossRef
- Rashidi A, Ghanbarian A, Azizi F, Adler DS. Is chronic kidney disease comparable to diabetes as a coronary artery disease risk factor? South Med J. 2007;100(1):20–6. CrossRef
- Sciahbasi A, Arcieri R, Quarto M, et al. Impact of chronic aspirin and statin therapy on presentation of patients with acute myocardial infarction and impaired renal function. Prev Cardiol. 2010;13(1):18–22. CrossRef
- Koren MJ, Davidson MH, Wilson DJ, Fayyad RS, Zuckerman A, Reed DP. Focused atorvastatin therapy in managed-care patients with coronary heart disease and CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009;53(5):741–50. CrossRef
- HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitors in Chronic Kidney Disease
American Journal of Cardiovascular Drugs
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 385-398
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Oregon State University and Oregon Health and Sciences University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Mail Code CR9-4, Portland, OR, 97201, USA
- 2. University of Illinois at Chicago/Advocate Christ Medical Center, Internal Medicine Residency Program, Oak Lawn, IL, USA
- 3. University of Illinois at Chicago/School of Public Health, Chicago, IL, USA
- 4. Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine/Advocate Christ Medical Center Associates in Nephrology, Chicago, IL, USA