Effect of Short-Term Oral Valproic Acid on Vision and Visual Field in Retinitis Pigmentosa
- P. Mahesh ShanmugamAffiliated withSankara Eye Hospital Varthur
- , C. K. MinijaAffiliated withSankara Eye Hospital Varthur Email author
- , Rajesh RamanjuluAffiliated withSankara Eye Hospital Varthur
- , Pradeep TekwaniAffiliated withSankara Eye Hospital Varthur
- , Manish SaxenaAffiliated withSankara Eye Hospital Varthur
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of short-term oral valproic acid (VPA) on the vision and visual fields of patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP).
In this prospective, nonrandomized trial, 10 patients (20 eyes) with established RP were treated with oral VPA 500 mg/day for 3 months. Visual acuity was monitored using the Snellen chart and values were converted into Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study chart and logarithm of the minimum angle of resolution (logMAR) equivalents. Visual field changes were evaluated using the Humphrey visual field analyzer (30-2 SITA standard test protocol).
Mean visual acuity was significantly improved from a pretreatment value of 20/72 (logMAR 0.560 ± 0.488) to 20/65 (logMAR 0.513 ± 0.422) after 3 months of treatment (P = 0.006). Vision improved by at least one line or more than one line in 10 eyes, and remained stable in the other 10 eyes. Visual field improvement was noted in nine eyes (P < 0.05, χ2 test), nine showing no significant field change and in two visual fields could not be recorded due to poor vision.
Short-term (3-month) treatment with VPA improves the vision and visual field of patients with RP.
KeywordsRetinitis pigmentosa Valproic acid Visual field Visual improvement
- Effect of Short-Term Oral Valproic Acid on Vision and Visual Field in Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Ophthalmology and Therapy
- Online Date
- November 2012
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Healthcare Communications
- Additional Links
- Retinitis pigmentosa
- Valproic acid
- Visual field
- Visual improvement