Study on the Fluidity and Strength Properties of High Performance Concrete Utilizing Crushed Sand
- Sangjun Park
- … show all 1 hide
Recently, it has been difficult to get natural sand for concrete due to an insufficient supply in Korea. Crushed sand was thought as a substitute and previous research has been focused on low fluidity and normal compressive strength (24–30 MPa). Study on high performance concrete using crushed sand is hardly found in Korea. In this study it was investigated that the effect of the crushed sand on fluidity and compressive strength properties of high performance concrete. Blending crushed sand (FM: 3.98) produced in Namyangju, Kyunggido and sea sand (FM: 2.80) produced in Asan bay in Chungnam. The final FMs of fine aggregate were 3.50, 3.23, and 3.08. W/B was set as 0.25 to get high performance. With the test results an analysis of relationship was performed using a statistical program. It was shown that strength property of concrete using crushed aggregate at the very early age or after specific time was mainly affected by strength development properties of binders instead of the crushed sand.
- Celik, T. (1996). Effects of crushed stone dust on some properties of concrete. Journal of Cement and Concrete Research, 1121–1130.
- Chi, I. H., Jung, Y. H., Yum, J. H., Choi, J. M., Lee, S. Y., & Hong, K. S. (2006). A study on the properties of high flowing concrete with quality variation of crushed sand. Proceedings of the Korea Concrete Institute, 18(1), 81–84 (in Korean).
- Han, C. G., & Yoon, G. W. (1996). An experiment study on properties and the mixing design of crushed sand concrete. Architectural Research, 12(9), 263–269 (in Korean).
- Kim, J. K. (1997). The fracture characteristics of crushed limestone sand concrete. Journal of Cement and Concrete Research, 1719–1729.
- Kim, J. K., & Lee, C. S. (1995). A study on the fracture characteristics of crushed sand concrete and river sand concrete. Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, 7(4), 129–136 (in Korean).
- Koh, K. T. (2006). Influence of the type of fine aggregate on concrete properties. Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, 18(4), 459–467 (in Korean).
- Lee, S. B., Jee, N. Y., & Lee, L. H. (1997). The experimental study on the properties and mixing factor of concrete with crushed stone sand by percentages of VFS replacement. Journal of the Regional Association of Architectural Institute of Korea, 13(2), 219–228 (in Korean).
- Park, C. L. (1998). The practical application on the super flowing concrete using manufactured sand. Proceedings of the Korea Concrete Institute, 10(1), 9–14 (in Korean).
- Won, Y. G. (2004). A study on physical and particle properties of crushed sand in Korea. Proceedings of the Korea Concrete Institute, 16(1), 352–355 (in Korean).
- Study on the Fluidity and Strength Properties of High Performance Concrete Utilizing Crushed Sand
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 231-237
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korea Concrete Institute
- Additional Links
- high performance concrete
- crushed sand
- alterative aggregate
- statistical analysis
- Sangjun Park (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Daewoo Institute of Construction Technology, Suwon City, 440-210, Korea