Post-Damage Repair of Prestressed Concrete Girders
Concrete is an economical construction material and for that reason it is widely used in buildings and infrastructures. The use of deicing salts, expansion joint failure, and freeze–thaw cycles have led to concrete bridge girders experiencing corrosion of steel reinforcement and becoming unsafe for driving. The goal of this research is to assess the effectiveness of current and possible repair techniques for the end region of damaged prestressed concrete girders. To do this, three American Association of State Highway and Transportation prestressed concrete girders were tested to failure, repaired, and retested. Three different repair materials were tested including carbon fiber, glass fiber, and surface mounted rods. Each different repair material was also tested with and without injected epoxy. Comparisons were then made to determine if injecting epoxy had a positive effect on stiffness and strength recovery as well as which repair type regained the largest percentage of original strength.
- ACI Committee 201. (1992). Guide to durable concrete (ACI 201.2R-92) (pp. 4). Farmington Hills: American Concrete Institute.
- Emmons, PH (1994) Concrete repair and maintenance illustrated. R. S. Means Company Inc., Kingston
- Freeman, JC, Haller, SA, Hansen, DM, Weitze, JA, Martini, KJ (1999) Seacoast fortifications preservation manual. GGNARA, San Francisco
- Koch, G. H., Brongers, P. H., Thompson, N. G., Virmani, Y. P., & Payer, J. H. (2002). Corrosion cost and prevention strategies in the United States, Report No. FHWA-RD-01-156, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, pp. 12.
- Needham, D. E. (2000). Prestressed concrete beam end repair. Research Report R-1380, Michigan Department of Transportation, Lansing, pp. 17.
- U.S. Department of Transportation. (2004). Federal highway administration: National Bridge Inventory, Washington DC.
- Weyers, RE, Prowell, BD, Sprinkel, MM, Vorster, M (1993) Concrete bridge protection, repair, and rehabilitation relative to reinforcement corrosion: A methods application manual, SHRP-S-360. National Research Council, Washington, DC
- Yeager, C. (2007). Corrosion of pre-stressing strands used to construct bridge girders. MS Thesis, The University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK.
- Yunovich, M., Thompson, N. G., & Virmani, Y. P. (2003). Life cycle cost analysis for reinforced concrete bridge decks. Paper No. 03309 presented at CORROSION/03, San Diego, pp. 23.
- Post-Damage Repair of Prestressed Concrete Girders
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 199-207
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korea Concrete Institute
- Additional Links
- prestressed concrete
- post-damage repair
- shear strengthening
- surface mounted rods