Testicular involvement during Toscana virus infection: an unusual manifestation?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Letter to the Editor:
Toscana virus (TOSV), transmitted by the Phlebotomus genera, is the most common cause of viral meningitis in the Mediterranean area during summer . Generally, the disease is benign and self-limited, although severe complications such as encephalitis and cerebral ischemia are described . Asymptomatic infections and clinical manifestations in the absence of central nervous system involvement are also documented [3, 4]. We describe an unusual manifestation of TOSV infection in a patient residing in central Italy (Siena district, Tuscany). On 4 September 2012, a 29-year-old previously healthy man was admitted to hospital for fever and severe headache lasting 3 days; testicular pain and diarrhea were also reported. On admission, the patient was suffering and alert with an axillary temperature of 37.3 °C, pulse rate of 80 beats/min, respiratory rate of 20 breaths/min, and blood pressure of 110/80 mmHg. Physical examination revealed signs of meningeal irritation, in ...
- Cusi, MG, Savellini, GG, Zanelli, G (2010) Toscana virus epidemiology: from Italy to beyond. Open Virol J 4: pp. 22-28
- Sanbonmatsu-Gámez, S, Pérez-Ruiz, M, Palop-Borrás, B, Navarro-Marí, JM (2009) Unusual manifestation of Toscana virus infection, Spain. Emerg Infect Dis 15: pp. 347-348 CrossRef
- Baldelli, F, Ciufolini, MG, Francisci, D, Marchi, A, Venturi, G, Fiorentini, C (2004) Unusual presentation of life-threatening Toscana virus meningoencephalitis. Clin Infect Dis 38: pp. 515-520 CrossRef
- Terrosi, C, Olivieri, R, Bianco, C, Cellesi, C, Cusi, MG (2009) Age-dependent seroprevalence of Toscana virus in central Italy and correlation with the clinical profile. Clin Vaccine Immunol 16: pp. 1251-1252 CrossRef
- Testicular involvement during Toscana virus infection: an unusual manifestation?
Volume 41, Issue 3 , pp 735-736
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors