Testicular involvement during Toscana virus infection: an unusual manifestation?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Letter to the Editor:
Toscana virus (TOSV), transmitted by the Phlebotomus genera, is the most common cause of viral meningitis in the Mediterranean area during summer . Generally, the disease is benign and self-limited, although severe complications such as encephalitis and cerebral ischemia are described . Asymptomatic infections and clinical manifestations in the absence of central nervous system involvement are also documented [3, 4]. We describe an unusual manifestation of TOSV infection in a patient residing in central Italy (Siena district, Tuscany). On 4 September 2012, a 29-year-old previously healthy man was admitted to hospital for fever and severe headache lasting 3 days; testicular pain and diarrhea were also reported. On admission, the patient was suffering and alert with an axillary temperature of 37.3 °C, pulse rate of 80 beats/min, respiratory rate of 20 breaths/min, and blood pressure of 110/80 mmHg. Physical examination revealed signs of meningeal irritation, in ...
- Cusi MG, Savellini GG, Zanelli G. Toscana virus epidemiology: from Italy to beyond. Open Virol J. 2010;4:22–8.
- Sanbonmatsu-Gámez S, Pérez-Ruiz M, Palop-Borrás B, Navarro-Marí JM. Unusual manifestation of Toscana virus infection, Spain. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:347–8. CrossRef
- Baldelli F, Ciufolini MG, Francisci D, Marchi A, Venturi G, Fiorentini C, et al. Unusual presentation of life-threatening Toscana virus meningoencephalitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:515–20. Epub 2004 Jan 30. CrossRef
- Terrosi C, Olivieri R, Bianco C, Cellesi C, Cusi MG. Age-dependent seroprevalence of Toscana virus in central Italy and correlation with the clinical profile. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2009;16:1251–2. Epub 2009 Jun 24. CrossRef
- Testicular involvement during Toscana virus infection: an unusual manifestation?
Volume 41, Issue 3 , pp 735-736
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors