WHO SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands global annual campaign. A call for action: 5 May 2011
The World Health Organization (WHO) SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands was launched in 2009. This global, annual campaign was developed as an extension of the WHO Clean Care is Safer Care programme. It is targeted at healthcare facilities and has the aim of ‘Bringing people together to improve and sustain hand hygiene’ every 5 May.
WHO’s motivation has been, and continues to be, in response to the concerns over the global burden of disease due to healthcare-associated infections (HAI), both in developed and developing countries . Recently-published data collated by WHO highlight that, when known, HAI rates are, indeed, markedly higher in developing countries than developed countries, with up to 19% of patients estimated to acquire an HAI hospital-wide. Surgical site infections are known to be the most frequent in these countries and can occur at rates of up to 25% of all surgical procedures. For ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) and neonatal infections, the rates are equally as alarmin ...
- Pittet D, Donaldson L. Clean Care is Safer Care: a worldwide priority. Lancet. 2005;366:1246–7. CrossRef
- Allegranzi B, Bagheri Nejad S, Combescure C, Graafmans W, Attar H, Donaldson L, Pittet D. Burden of endemic health-care-associated infection in developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2011;377:228–41. CrossRef
- The burden of health care-associated infection worldwide: a summary. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010. Available online at: http://www.who.int/gpsc/country_work/summary_20100430_en.pdf.
- Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009.
- Hand hygiene moment 1—global observation survey: summary report. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010. Available online at: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/news/ps_moment1_results_2010_en.pdf.
- Mathai E, Allegranzi B, Kilpatrick C, Bagheri Nejad S, Graafmans W, Pittet D. Promoting hand hygiene in healthcare through national/subnational campaigns. J Hosp Infect. 2011;77:294–8. doi:10.1016/j.jhin.2010.10.012. CrossRef
- WHO SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands global annual campaign. A call for action: 5 May 2011
Volume 39, Issue 2 , pp 93-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Clean Care is Safer Care World Health Organization Patient Safety Programme, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2. Infection Control Programme and WHO Collaborating Centre on Patient Safety, University of Geneva Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine, 4 Rue Gabrielle Perret-Gentil, 1211, Geneva 14, Switzerland