Cutaneous vasculitis associated with fluoroquinolones
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cutaneous vasculitis is a clinical entity with a broad differential diagnosis, including an adverse drug reaction. It is defined as inflammation of skin blood vessel walls. During a 7-year-period, we observed three patients who developed isolated cutaneous vasculitis during antibiotic therapy of bacterial infection. All were treated with a fluoroquinolone (ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin) combined with rifampin (two cases) or flucloxacillin (three cases), respectively. In all three cases the lesions gradually resolved after treatment with the inciting fluoroquinolone had been stopped. In one patient, leukocytoclastic small-vessel vasculitis was histologically confirmed. Fluoroquinolone-associated cutaneous vasculitis consists of an isolated self-limiting disorder that is part of a systemic vasculitis, or even life-threatening disease. Clinicians should be aware of this serious adverse event because any continuation of treatment may be fatal.
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ: Small-vessel vasculitis. N Engl J Med 1997; 337: 1512–1523. CrossRef
- Roujeau JC, Stern RS: Severe adverse cutaneous reactions to drugs. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 1272–1285. CrossRef
- Crowson AN, Mihm MC Jr, Magro CM: Cutaneous vasculitis: a review. J Cutan Pathol 2003; 30: 161–173. CrossRef
- Savage CO, Harper L, Cockwell P, Adu D, Howie AJ: ABC of arterial and vascular disease: vasculitis. Br Med J 2000; 320: 1325–1328. CrossRef
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ, Andrassy K, Bacon PA, Churg J, Gross WL, Hagen EC, Hoffman GS, Hunder GG, Kallenberg CG, et al. Nomenclature of systemic vasculitides. Proposal of an international consensus conference. Arthritis Rheum 1994; 37: 187–192. CrossRef
- Lantin JP, Gattesco S, Duclos A, Zanchi A, Schaller MD, Pecoud A, Aubert V: Anaphylactoid purpura like vasculitis following fibrinolytic therapy: role of the immune response to streptokinase. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1994; 12: 429–433.
- Stokes MB, Foster K, Markowitz GS, Ebrahimi F, Hines W, Kaufman D, Moore B, Wolde D, D’Agati VD: Development of glomerulonephritis during anti-TNF-alpha therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005; 20: 1400–1406. CrossRef
- Calabrese LH, Duna GF: Drug-induced vasculitis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 1996; 8: 34–40. CrossRef
- Mullick FG, McAllister HA Jr, Wagner BM, Fenoglio JJ Jr: Drug related vasculitis. Clinicopathologic correlations in 30 patients. Hum Pathol 1979; 10: 313–325. CrossRef
- Michel BA, Hunder GG, Bloch DA, Calabrese LH: Hypersensitivity vasculitis and Henoch-Schonlein purpura: a comparison between the 2 disorders. J Rheumatol 1992; 19: 721–728.
- Beuselinck B, Devuyst O: Ciprofloxacin-induced hypersensitivity vasculitis. Acta Clin Belg 1994; 49: 173–176.
- Famularo G, De Simone C: Nephrotoxicity and purpura associated with levofloxacin. Ann Pharmacother 2002; 36: 1380–1382. CrossRef
- Huminer D, Cohen JD, Majadla R, Dux S: Hypersensitivity vasculitis due to ofloxacin. Br Med J 1989; 299: 303. CrossRef
- Lieu PK, Tok SC, Ismail NH, Chng HH: Ciprofloxacin-induced cutaneous vasculitis. Allergy 1997; 52: 593–594. CrossRef
- Pace JL, Gatt P: Fatal vasculitis associated with ofloxacin. Br Med J 1989; 299: 658. CrossRef
- Pipek R, Vulfsons S, Wolfovitz E, Har-Shai Y, Taran A, Peled IJ: Case report: ofloxacin-induced hypersensitivity vasculitis. Am J Med Sci 1996; 311: 82–83. CrossRef
- Pons R, Escutia B: Ciprofloxacin-induced vasculitis with cutaneous and renal involvement. Nefrologia 2001; 21: 209–212.
- Shih DJ, Korbet SM, Rydel JJ, Schwartz MM: Renal vasculitis associated with ciprofloxacin. Am J Kidney Dis 1995; 26: 516–519. CrossRef
- Stubbings J, Sheehan-Dare R, Shernaz W: Cutaneous vasculitis due to ciprofloxacin. Br Med J 1992; 305: 29. CrossRef
- Zaigraykin N, Kovalev J, Elias N, Naschitz JE: Levofloxacin-induced interstitial nephritis and vasculitis in an elderly woman. Isr Med Assoc J 2006; 8: 726–727.
- Cutaneous vasculitis associated with fluoroquinolones
Volume 37, Issue 5 , pp 466-468
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Urban and Vogel
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors