Indinavir/Low-dose Ritonavir Containing HAART in HIV-1 Infected Children has Potent Antiretroviral Activity, but is Associated with Side Effects and Frequent Discontinuation of Treatment
We here present the study results of 21 HIV-1 infected children who were treated with indinavir plus low-dose ritonavir and two nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) for 48 weeks. Although this q12h HAART regimen had potent antiretroviral activity, it was frequently associated with side effects and discontinuation of therapy.
- van Rossum AM, Geelen SP, Hartwig NG, Wolfs TF, Weemaes CM, Scherpbier HJ, et al.: Results of 2 years of treatment with protease- inhibitor-containing antiretroviral therapy in Dutch children infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Clin Infect Dis 2002;34:1008–1016. CrossRef
- Gulick RM, Mellors JW, Havlir D, Eron JJ, Meibohm A, Condra JH, et al.: 3-year suppression of HIV viremia with indinavir, zidovudine, and lamivudine. Ann Intern Med 2000;133:35–39.
- Deeks SG: Treatment of antiretroviral-drug-resistant HIV-1 infection. Lancet 2003;362:2002–2011. CrossRef
- Hsu A, Granneman GR, Cao G, Carothers L, Japour A, El-Shourbagy T, et al.: Pharmacokinetic interaction between ritonavir and indinavir in healthy volunteers. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1998;42:2784–2791.
- van Rossum AM, de Groot R, Hartwig NG, Weemaes CM, Head S, Burger DM: Pharmacokinetics of indinavir and low-dose ritonavir in children with HIV-1 infection. AIDS 2000;14:2209–2210. CrossRef
- Burger DM, van Rossum AM, Hugen PW, Suur MH, Hartwig NG, Geelen SP, et al.: Pharmacokinetics of the protease inhibitor indinavir in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected children. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2001;45:701–705. CrossRef
- Bergshoeff AS, Fraaij PL, van Rossum AM, Verweel G, Wynne LH, Winchell GA, et al.: Pharmacokinetics of indinavir combined with low-dose ritonavir in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected children. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2004;48:1904–1907. CrossRef
- Comans-Bitter WM, de Groot R, van den Beemd R, Neijens HJ, Hop WC, Groeneveld K, et al.: Immunophenotyping of blood lymphocytes in childhood. Reference values for lymphocyte subpopulations. J Pediatr 1997;130:388–393. CrossRef
- Saez-Llorens X, Violari A, Deetz CO, Rode RA, Gomez P, Handelsman E, et al.: Forty-eight-week evaluation of lopinavir/ritonavir, a new protease inhibitor, in human immunodeficiency virus-infected children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2003;22:216–224. CrossRef
- Fraaij PL, van Kampen JJ, Burger DM de Groot R: Pharmacokinetics of antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1-infected children. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2005;44:935–956. CrossRef
- Indinavir/Low-dose Ritonavir Containing HAART in HIV-1 Infected Children has Potent Antiretroviral Activity, but is Associated with Side Effects and Frequent Discontinuation of Treatment
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 186-189
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Urban & Vogel
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of Pediatrics, Erasmus MC-Sophia Children’s Hospital, Dr. Molewaterplein 60, 3015, GJ Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 2. Dept. of Clinical Pharmacy and Nijmegen University Center for Infectious Diseases (NUCI), University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- 3. Dept. of Pediatrics and Nijmegen University Center for Infectious Diseases (NUCI), University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands