Determination of dinotefuran in pepper using liquid chromatography: Contribution to safety evaluation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a simple and sensitive method for detection and quantification of neonicotinoids (dinotefurans) in pepper. Extraction of pesticide was carried out with acetonitrile and water partition, and passed through cleanup. The residue levels were determined by high performance liquid chromatography with UV detection and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) confirmation. The analytical method was very good within a wide range of concentrations with linearity (r 2) of 1.00. The recovery at two fortification levels ranged between 91.2 to 97.5% with relative standard deviation less than 6.0%. The method was successfully applied for determination of the analyte in pepper grown under greenhouse conditions.
- Anastassiades M, Lehotay S J, Stajnbaher D, and Schenck FJ (2003) Fast and easy multiresidue method employing acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and “Dispersive solid-phase extraction” for the determination of pesticides in produce. J AOAC Int 86, 412–431.
- Choi JH, Marmun MIR, Shin EH, Kim HK, Abd El-Aty AM, and Shim JH (2008) Determination of methoxyfenozide residues in water and soil by liquid chromatography: Evaluation of its Environmental fate under laboratory conditions. Toxicol Res 24, 207–212. CrossRef
- Dömötörová M, Matisová E, Kirchner M, and Zeeuw J (2005) MSPD Combined with fast GC for ultratrace analysis of pesticide residues in non-fatty food. Acta Chim Slov 52, 422–428.
- Elbert A, Haas M, Springer B, Thielert W, and Nauen R (2008) Applied aspects of neonicotinoid uses in crop protection. Pest Manag Sci 64, 1099–1105. CrossRef
- Ford KV and Casida JE (2006) Unique and Common Metabolites of Thiamethoxam, Clothianidin and Dinotefuran in Mice. Chem Res Toxicol 19, 1549–1556. CrossRef
- Gupta M, Sharma A, and Shanker A (2008) Dissipation of imidacloprid in Orthodox tea and its transfer from made tea to infusion. Food Chem 106, 158–164. CrossRef
- Hercegová A, Dömötörová M, and Matisová E (2007) Sample preparation methods in the analysis of pesticide residuesin baby food with subsequent chromatographic determination. J Chromatogr A 1153, 54–73. CrossRef
- KFDA (2011) MRLs for Pesticides in Food. p. 92, Korea Food and Drug Administration, Korea. Available in http://fse.foodnara.go.kr/residue/index.jsp.
- Kiriyama K and Nishimura K (2002) Structural effects of dinotefuran and analogues in insecticidal and neural activities. Pest Manag Sci 58, 669–676. CrossRef
- Lambropoulou DL and Albanis TA (2007) Methods of sample preparation for determination of pesticide residues in food matrices by chromatography-mass spectrometry-base techniques: A review. Anal Bioanal Chem 389, 1663–1683. CrossRef
- Miyagi S, Komaki I, and Ozoe Y (2006) Identification of a high-affinity binding site for dinotefuran in the nerve cord of the American cockroach. Pest Manag Sci 62, 293–298. CrossRef
- Nauen R, Kintscher UE, Salgado VL, and Kaussmann M (2003) Thiamethoxam is a neonicotinoid precursor converted toclothianidin in insects and plants. Pestic Biochem Physiol 76, 55–69. CrossRef
- Rekha, Naik SN, and Prasad R (2005) Pesticide residue in organic and conventional food-risk analysis. Division of Chemical Health and Safety of the American Chemical Society, USA.
- SANCO (2009) Method validation and quality control procedures for pesticide residues analysis in food and feed. Document No. SANCO/10684/2009. Implemented by 01/01/2010, European Commission, EU.
- Wakita T, Yasui N, Yamada E, and Kishi D (2005) Development of a Novel Insecticide, Dinotefuran. J Pestic Sci 30, 122–123. CrossRef
- Xie W, Han C, Qian Y, Ding HY, Chen XM, and Xi JY (2011) Determination of neonicotinoid pesticides residues in agricultural samples by solid-phase extraction combined with liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1218, 4426–4433. CrossRef
- Zhou QX, Ding YJ, and Xiao JP (2006) Sensitive determination of thiamethoxam, imidacloprid and acetamiprid in environmental water samples with solid-phase extraction packed with multiwalled carbon nanotubes prior to high-performance liquid chromatography. Anal Bioanal Chem 385, 1520–1525. CrossRef
- Determination of dinotefuran in pepper using liquid chromatography: Contribution to safety evaluation
Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry
Volume 55, Issue 6 , pp 765-768
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry
- Additional Links
- high performance liquid chromatography
- mass spectrometry
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Natural Products Chemistry Laboratory, Biotechnology Research Institute, Chonnam National University, 300 Yongbong-dong, Buk-gu, Gwangju, 500-757, Republic of Korea
- 2. Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University, 12211, Giza, Egypt