Vitamin D supplementation in multiple sclerosis patients in 2012: hype or reality as an adjunctive therapy?
Based on epidemiological case–control studies, vitamin D deficiency is now recognized as an independent environmental risk factor for developing multiple sclerosis (MS). Studies indicate that vitamin D, besides regulating bone homeostasis, has immunomodulatory properties thought to be beneficial in MS. It is therefore an attractive and fairly safe candidate for add-on therapy. Certain studies also point towards an inverse correlation between serum vitamin D levels and MRI disease activity or relapse rate in MS patients [1, 2].
However, is there a rationale for vitamin D supplementation in MS patients specifically, besides correcting a documented serum deficiency? One can argue that vitamin D deficiency is also present in a large proportion of the general population in the Northern hemisphere, because of insufficient sunlight exposure, and therefore, supplementation should not be restricted to MS patients only.
The article by Faridar et al. in this issue of Acta Neurologica Belgica provid ...
- Runia, TF (2012) Lower serum vitamin D levels are associated with a higher relapse risk in multiple sclerosis. Neurology 79: pp. 261-266 CrossRef
- Mowry, EM (2012) Vitamin D status predicts new brain magnetic resonance imaging activity in multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 72: pp. 234-240 CrossRef
- Stein, MS (2011) A randomized trial of high-dose vitamin D2 in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Neurology 77: pp. 1611-1618 CrossRef
- Dorr, J (2012) Efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in multiple sclerosis (EVIDIMS Trial): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 13: pp. 15 CrossRef
- Smolders, J (2011) Efficacy of vitamin D3 as add-on therapy in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis receiving subcutaneous interferon beta-1a: a Phase II, multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. J Neurol Sci 311: pp. 44-49 CrossRef
- Vitamin D supplementation in multiple sclerosis patients in 2012: hype or reality as an adjunctive therapy?
Acta Neurologica Belgica
Volume 112, Issue 4 , p 325
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links