Autonomic dysfunction in multiple sclerosis presenting with postural orthostatic tachycardia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is an autonomic disorder characterized by an exaggerated increase in heart rate that occurs during standing, without orthostatic hypotension.
We report a patient with postural orthostatic tachycardia in a context of multiple sclerosis (MS).
A 37-year-old woman presented with hemiparesthesia on the left side of the body. Neurological examination revealed left-sided hemihypoesthesia. Brain MRI revealed six T2 hyperintensive lesions, the largest one in the right thalamus with postcontrast enhancement. CSF analysis showed positive IgG oligoclonal bands (OCB), without OCB in the serum. Syncope occurred during the lumbar puncture so tilt-table test was performed. Immediately after the tilt, excessive heart rate rise >30 beats/min occurred, persisting during the whole tilt phase, with no change in the blood pressure values. In the 12th min of the tilt phase a loss of blood pressure occurred (minimal values 68.9/43.8 mmHg) w ...
- Polman, CH, Reingold, SC, Banwell, B, Clanet, M, Cohen, JA, Filippi, M, Fujihara, K, Havrdova, E, Hutchinson, M, Kappos, L, Lublin, FD, Montalban, X, O’Connor, P, Sandberg-Wollheim, M, Thompson, AJ, Waubant, E, Weinshenker, B, Wolinsky, JS (2011) Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria. Ann Neurol 69: pp. 292-302 CrossRef
- Adamec, I, Bach, I, Barusic, AK, Mismas, A, Habek, M (2012) Assessment of prevalence and pathological response to orthostatic provocation in patients with multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Sci.
- Kanjwal, K, Karabin, B, Kanjwal, Y, Grubb, BP (2010) Autonomic dysfunction presenting as postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome in patients with multiple sclerosis. Int J Med Sci 7: pp. 62-67 CrossRef
- Raj, SR (2006) The Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS): pathophysiology, diagnosis & management. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J 6: pp. 84-99
- Dampney, RA, Coleman, MJ, Fontes, MA, Hirooka, Y, Horiuchi, J, Li, YW, Polson, JW, Potts, PD, Tagawa, T (2002) Central mechanisms underlying short- and long-term regulation of the cardiovascular system. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 29: pp. 261-268 CrossRef
- Napadow, V, Dhond, R, Conti, G, Makris, N, Brown, EN, Barbieri, R (2008) Brain correlates of autonomic modulation: combining heart rate variability with fMRI. Neuroimage 42: pp. 169-177 CrossRef
- Autonomic dysfunction in multiple sclerosis presenting with postural orthostatic tachycardia
Acta Neurologica Belgica
Volume 113, Issue 3 , pp 337-339
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology, University Hospital Center Zagreb, Refferal Center for Demyelinating Diseases of the Central Nervous System, Kišpatićeva 12, HR-10000, Zagreb, Croatia
- 2. Department of Radiology, University Hospital Center Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
- 3. Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia