Immunotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer: current approaches
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Lung cancer has long been regarded as a poor candidate for immunotherapy, because it has a relatively low content of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes compared with, for example, melanoma. However, new developments in immunotherapy are about to change this situation. Therapeutic vaccines are different from the well-known prophylactic vaccines, in that they are designed to treat patients already suffering from a disease instead of preventing the disease in healthy individuals. Several therapeutic vaccines are in late-stage clinical development for non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These vaccines use different approaches, including peptides, cell lines or viral vectors, and are used in different settings within the pathology. Some are given as monotherapy, whereas others are combined with traditional therapy for this indication. More recently developed, and very promising, are the checkpoint-blocking antibodies. It is likely that in the future several approaches, including immunotherapy products, will be combined in the evolving standard of care for lung cancer. This review gives a summary of the candidate immunotherapy products currently in late-stage clinical development for NSCLC.
- Schiller, JH, Harrington, D, Belani, CP, Langer, C, Sandler, A, Krook, J (2002) Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 346: pp. 92-8 CrossRef
- Sandler, A, Gray, R, Perry, MC, Brahmer, J, Schiller, JH, Dowlati, A (2006) Paclitaxel-carboplatin alone or with bevacizumab for non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 355: pp. 2542-50 CrossRef
- Shepherd, FA, Rodrigues Pereira, J, Ciuleanu, T, Tan, EH, Hirsh, V, Thongprasert, S (2005) Erlotinib in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 353: pp. 123-32 CrossRef
- Mok, TS, Wu, YL, Thongprasert, S, Yang, CH, Chu, DT, Saijo, N (2009) Gefitinib or carboplatin-paclitaxel in pulmonary adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 947-57 CrossRef
- Gerard, C, Debruyne, C (2009) Immunotherapy in the landscape of new targeted treatments for non-small cell lung cancer. Mol Oncol 3: pp. 409-24 CrossRef
- O’Mahony, D, Kummar, S, Gutierrez, ME (2005) Non-small-cell lung cancer vaccine therapy: a concise review. J Clin Oncol 23: pp. 9022-8 CrossRef
- Butts, C, Murray, N, Maksymiuk, A, Goss, G, Marshall, E, Soulieres, D (2005) Randomized phase IIB trial of BLP25 liposome vaccine in stage IIIB and IV non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 23: pp. 6674-81 CrossRef
- Butts C, Socinski M, Mitchell P, Thatcher N, Havel L, Krzakowski M., et al. START: A phase III study of L-BLP25 cancer immunotherapy for unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31, 2013 (suppl; abstr 7500).
- Merck Serono Announces Decision to Continue the Development of Tecemotide in Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. 2013.
- Vansteenkiste, J, Zielinski, M, Linder, A, Dahabreh, J, Gonzalez, EE, Malinowski, W (2013) Adjuvant MAGE-A3 immunotherapy in resected non-small-cell lung cancer: phase II randomized study results. J Clin Oncol 31: pp. 2396-403 CrossRef
- Tyagi, P, Mirakhur, B (2009) MAGRIT: the largest-ever phase III lung cancer trial aims to establish a novel tumor-specific approach to therapy. Clin Lung Cancer 10: pp. 371-4 CrossRef
- Barve, M, Bender, J, Senzer, N, Cunningham, C, Greco, FA, McCune, D (2008) Induction of immune responses and clinical efficacy in a phase II trial of IDM-2101, a 10-epitope cytotoxic T-lymphocyte vaccine, in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 26: pp. 4418-25 CrossRef
- Brunsvig, PF, Kyte, JA, Kersten, C, Sundstrom, S, Moller, M, Nyakas, M (2011) Telomerase peptide vaccination in NSCLC: a phase II trial in stage III patients vaccinated after chemoradiotherapy and an 8-year update on a phase I/II trial. Clin Cancer Res 17: pp. 6847-57 CrossRef
- Nemunaitis, J, Nemunaitis, M, Senzer, N, Snitz, P, Bedell, C, Kumar, P (2009) Phase II trial of Belagenpumatucel-L, a TGF-beta2 antisense gene modified allogeneic tumor vaccine in advanced non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients. Cancer Gene Ther 16: pp. 620-4 CrossRef
- Nemunaitis, J, Dillman, RO, Schwarzenberger, PO, Senzer, N, Cunningham, C, Cutler, J (2006) Phase II study of belagenpumatucel-L, a transforming growth factor beta-2 antisense gene-modified allogeneic tumor cell vaccine in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 24: pp. 4721-30 CrossRef
- Giaccone, G, Bazhenova, L, Nemunaitis, J (2013) A phase III study of belagenpumatucel-L therapeutic tumor cell vaccine for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). The European Cancer Congress 7: pp. 159-63
- D’Angelo, S, Park, B, Krug, L (2011) Immunogenicity of GI-4000 vaccine in adjuvant consolidation therapy following definitive treatment in patients with stage I-III adenocarcinoma of the lung with G12C, G12D, or G12V KRAS mutations. J Clin Oncol 29: pp. 2787-94 CrossRef
- Ramlau, R, Quoix, E, Rolski, J, Pless, M, Lena, H, Levy, E (2008) A phase II study of Tg4010 (Mva-Muc1-Il2) in association with chemotherapy in patients with stage III/IV Non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 3: pp. 735-44 CrossRef
- Quoix, E, Ramlau, R, Westeel, V, Papai, Z, Madroszyk, A, Riviere, A (2011) Therapeutic vaccination with TG4010 and first-line chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a controlled phase 2B trial. The Lancet Oncology 12: pp. 1125-33 CrossRef
- Parikh, PM, Vaid, A, Advani, SH, Digumarti, R, Madhavan, J, Nag, S (2011) Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase II study of single-agent oral talactoferrin in patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer that progressed after chemotherapy. Talactoferrin alfa versus placebo in patients with refractory advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (FORTIS-M trial). J Clin Oncol 29: pp. 4129-36 CrossRef
- Ramalingam, S, Crawford, J, Chang, A, Manegold, C, Perez-Soler, R, Douillard, JY (2013) Talactoferrin alfa versus placebo in patients with refractory advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (FORTIS-M trial). Ann Oncol 24: pp. 2875-80 CrossRef
- Agennix Reports Results of FORTIS-M Phase III Trial with Talactoferrin Alfa in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer. 2012.
- Zielinski, C, Knapp, S, Mascaux, C, Hirsch, F (2013) Rationale for targeting the immune system through checkpoint molecule blockade in the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol 24: pp. 1170-9 CrossRef
- Lynch, TJ, Bondarenko, I, Luft, A, Serwatowski, P, Barlesi, F, Chacko, R (2012) Ipilimumab in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin as first-line treatment in stage IIIB/IV non-small-cell lung cancer: results from a randomized, double-blind, multicenter phase II study. J Clin Oncol 30: pp. 2046-54 CrossRef
- Spigel, DR, Socinski, MA (2013) Rationale for chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and checkpoint blockade in SCLC: beyond traditional treatment approaches. J Thorac Oncol 8: pp. 587-98
- Garon E, Balmanoukian A, Hamid O. Preliminary clinical safety and activity of MK-3475 monotherapy for the treatment of previously treated patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2013;8, Supplement 2.
- Topalian, SL, Hodi, FS, Brahmer, JR, Gettinger, SN, Smith, DC, McDermott, DF (2012) Safety, activity, and immune correlates of anti-PD-1 antibody in cancer. N Engl J Med 366: pp. 2443-54 CrossRef
- Hodi F, Topalian S, Brahmer J. Survival and long-term safety in patients (pts) with advanced solid tumors receiving nivolumab (anti-PD-1; BMS-936558; ONO-4538) The European Cancer Congress. 2013.
- Brahmer, JR, Tykodi, SS, Chow, LQ, Hwu, WJ, Topalian, SL, Hwu, P (2012) Safety and activity of anti-PD-L1 antibody in patients with advanced cancer. N Engl J Med 366: pp. 2455-65 CrossRef
- Soria J, Cruz C, Bahleda R. Clinical activity, safety and biomarkers of PD-L1 blockade in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): Additional analyses from a clinical study of the engineered antibody MPDL3280A (anti-PDL1) The European Cancer Congress. 2013.
- Soria, JC, Mauguen, A, Reck, M, Sandler, AB, Saijo, N, Johnson, DH (2013) Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised, phase II/III trials adding bevacizumab to platinum-based chemotherapy as first-line treatment in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol 24: pp. 20-30 CrossRef
- Shaw, AT, Kim, DW, Nakagawa, K, Seto, T, Crino, L, Ahn, MJ (2013) Crizotinib versus chemotherapy in advanced ALK-positive lung cancer. N Engl J Med 368: pp. 2385-94 CrossRef
- Azzoli, CG, Temin, S, Aliff, T, Baker, S, Brahmer, J, Johnson, DH (2011) Focused Update of 2009 American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline Update on Chemotherapy for Stage IV Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Clin Oncol 29: pp. 3825-31 CrossRef
- Scagliotti, GV, Parikh, P, Pawel, J, Biesma, B, Vansteenkiste, J, Manegold, C (2008) Phase III study comparing cisplatin plus gemcitabine with cisplatin plus pemetrexed in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 26: pp. 3543-51 CrossRef
- Quoix E, Zalcman G, Oster JP, Westeel V, Pichon E, Lavolé A, et al. Carboplatin and weekly paclitaxel doublet chemotherapy compared with monotherapy in elderly patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: IFCT-0501 randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2011;378(9796):1079–88. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60780-0.
- Lilenbaum, R, Villaflor, VM, Langer, C, O’Byrne, K, O’Brien, M, Ross, HJ (2009) Single-agent versus combination chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer and a performance status of 2: prognostic factors and treatment selection based on two large randomized clinical trials. J Thorac Oncol 4: pp. 869-74 CrossRef
- Ulloa-Montoya, F, Louahed, J, Dizier, B, Gruselle, O, Spiessens, B, Lehmann, FF (2013) Predictive gene signature in MAGE-A3 antigen-specific cancer immunotherapy. J Clin Oncol 31: pp. 2388-95 CrossRef
- Immunotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer: current approaches
Current Respiratory Care Reports
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 19-25
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Cancer vaccine
- Lung cancer
- Respiratory care