Current practices of prevention, detection & management of gestational diabetes mellitus in Punjab
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) is common in India with inherent challenges for prevention, detection and management. There is little data on methods adopted by consultants for prevention, detection and management of GDM in India. So studied the current practice of prevention, detection and management of GDM by physicians and obstetricians in Punjab. Consultants both obstetricians and physicians answered a structured questionnaire. 77.6 % of consultants rely on FBG for screening and diagnosis of GDM, 3.8 % rely on OGTT. 29.9 % screened all the pregnant females for GDM, 88.8 % screened pregnant females for GDM at their 1st visit, 73.9 % did risk assessment in all the pregnant females, 20.9 % screened high risk pregnant females with OGTT, Glycosylated Hemoglobin was recommended by only 10.4 % consultants, 79.2 % consultants favored insulin, 62.7 % consultants educated GDM patients for regular follow up. Implementation of recommendations and guidelines for prevention, detection, diagnosis and management of GDM is suboptimal in Punjab. There is need to sensitize and educate consultant.
- King, H, Aubert, RE, Herman, WH (1998) Global burden of diabetes 1995–2025. Diabetes Care 21: pp. 1414-31 CrossRef
- Diabetes Care 26: pp. S5-20
- Gestational diabetes mellitus (position statement). Diabetes Care 27: pp. S88-90
- Third International Workshop—Conference on Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: and recommendations. Diabetes mellitus: summary and recommendations. Diabetes. 1991;40(Suppl 2):197–201.
- Seshiah, V, Balaji, V (2005) One step procedure for screening and diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus. J Obstet Gynecol India 55: pp. 525-9
- Dornhorst, A, Beard, RW (1993) Gestational diabetes a challenge for the future. Diabet Med 10: pp. 897-905 CrossRef
- Jarrett, RJ (1994) Gestational diabetes. Diabet Med 11: pp. 992-3 CrossRef
- Barker, DJ (1995) Fetal origins of coronary heart disease. BMJ 311: pp. 171-4 CrossRef
- Lucas, A (1998) Programming by early nutrition: an experimental approach. J Nutr 128: pp. 401S-6
- Sermer, M, Naylor, CD, Farine, D (1998) The Toronto Tri Hospital Gestational Diabetes Project—a preliminary review. Diabetes Care 21: pp. B33-42
- Seshiah V, Balaji V, Balaji MS. Diabetes and pregnancy in advancing nations: India. Chapter 17. In: Textbook of diabetes and pregnancy, 2nd ed.; 2008. pp. 135–141.
- Griffin, ME (2000) Universal vs. risk factor-based screening for gestational diabetes mellitus: detection rates, gestation at diagnosis and outcome. Diabet Med 17: pp. 26-32 CrossRef
- Anjalakshi, C, Balaji, V (2009) A single test procedure to diagnose gestational diabetes mellitus. Acta Diabetol 46: pp. 51-4 CrossRef
- Shamsuddin, K, Mahdy, ZA, Siti Rafiaah, I (2001) Risk factor screening for abnormal glucose tolerance in pregnancy. Int J Gynecol Obstet 75: pp. 27-32 CrossRef
- Soonthornpun, S, Soonthornpun, K, Aksonteing, J (2003) A comparison between a 75-g and a 100 g oral glucose tolerance test in pregnant women. Int J Gynecol Obstet 81: pp. 169-73 CrossRef
- Dornhorst, A, Paterson, CM, Nicholls, JS (1992) High prevalence of gestational diabetes in women from ethnic minority groups. Diabet Med 9: pp. 820-5 CrossRef
- Seshiah, V (2010) DIPSI Guidelines - Kolkata Declaration. Fifth national conference of diabetes in pregnancy study group, India. J Assoc Physicians India 58: pp. 329-30
- Metzger, BE, Lowe, LP, Dyer, AR, Trimble, ER, Chaovaridr, U (2008) Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes. N Engl J Med 358: pp. 1991-2002 CrossRef
- Bartha, JL, Martinez-Del-Fresno, P, Comino-Delgado, R (2003) Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 109: pp. 41-4 CrossRef
- Gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2004;27(Suppl 1):S88–90.
- Joshi, SR (2003) Diabetes mellitus (part 2). Q Med Rev 54: pp. 2-47
- Prevention of Diabetes Mellitus by WHO Study Group. WHO Technical Report Series 844. World Health Organization, Geneva; 1994.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(Suppl 1):S11–61.
- Seshiah, V, Sahay, BK, Das, AK, Shah, S, Banerjee, S, Rao, PV (2009) Gestational diabetes mellitus—Indian guidelines. J Indian Med Assoc 107: pp. 799-806
- Gabbe, SG, Gregory, RP, Power, ML, Williams, SB, Schulkin, J (2004) Management of diabetes mellitus by obstetrician–gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 103: pp. 1229-34 CrossRef
- Mires, GJ, Williams, FL, Harper, V (1999) Screening practices for gestational diabetes mellitus in UK obstetric units. Diabet Med 16: pp. 138-41 CrossRef
- Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and management of diabetes in Canada. Can J Diabetes. 2003;27(Suppl 2):1–140.
- Gabbe, SG, Graves, CR (2003) Management of diabetes mellitus complicating pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 102: pp. 857-68 CrossRef
- Shamsuddin, K, Mahdy, ZA, Siti Rafiaah, I, Jamil, MA, Rahimah, MD (2000) Risk factor screening for abnormal glucose tolerance in pregnancy. Diabet Med 17: pp. 376-80 CrossRef
- Beischer, NA, Oats, JN, Henry, OA, Sheedy, MT, Walstab, JE (1991) Incidence and severity of gestational diabetes mellitus according to country of birth in women living in Australia. Diabetes 40: pp. 35-8 CrossRef
- Nahum, GG, Wilson, SB, Stanislaw, H (2002) Early-pregnancy glucose screening for gestational diabetes mellitus. J Reprod Med 47: pp. 656-62
- Langer, L, Conway, DL, Berkus, MD, Xenakis, EMJ, Gonzales, O (2000) A comparison of glyburide and insulin in women with gestational diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 343: pp. 1134-8 CrossRef
- Jakubowicz, DJ, Iuorno, MJ, Jakubowicz, S, Roberts, KA, Nestler, JE (2002) Effects of metformin on early pregnancy loss in the polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: pp. 524-9 CrossRef
- Current practices of prevention, detection & management of gestational diabetes mellitus in Punjab
International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 18-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India
- 2. 5042, Afim Wali Gali, Bathinda, 151001, Punjab, India
- 3. Department of Paediatrics, Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India
- 4. Kishori Ram Hospital and Diabetes Care Centre, Kishori Ram Road, Basant Vihar, Bathinda, Punjab, India
- 5. Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India