Current practices of prevention, detection & management of gestational diabetes mellitus in Punjab
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) is common in India with inherent challenges for prevention, detection and management. There is little data on methods adopted by consultants for prevention, detection and management of GDM in India. So studied the current practice of prevention, detection and management of GDM by physicians and obstetricians in Punjab. Consultants both obstetricians and physicians answered a structured questionnaire. 77.6 % of consultants rely on FBG for screening and diagnosis of GDM, 3.8 % rely on OGTT. 29.9 % screened all the pregnant females for GDM, 88.8 % screened pregnant females for GDM at their 1st visit, 73.9 % did risk assessment in all the pregnant females, 20.9 % screened high risk pregnant females with OGTT, Glycosylated Hemoglobin was recommended by only 10.4 % consultants, 79.2 % consultants favored insulin, 62.7 % consultants educated GDM patients for regular follow up. Implementation of recommendations and guidelines for prevention, detection, diagnosis and management of GDM is suboptimal in Punjab. There is need to sensitize and educate consultant.
- King H, Aubert RE, Herman WH. Global burden of diabetes 1995–2025. Diabetes Care. 1998;21:1414–31. CrossRef
- Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of DM. Diabetes Care. 2003;26 Suppl 1:S5–20.
- ADA. Gestational diabetes mellitus (position statement). Diabetes Care. 2004;27 Suppl 1:S88–90.
- Third International Workshop—Conference on Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: and recommendations. Diabetes mellitus: summary and recommendations. Diabetes. 1991;40(Suppl 2):197–201.
- Seshiah V, Balaji V, et al. One step procedure for screening and diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2005;55:525–9.
- Dornhorst A, Beard RW. Gestational diabetes a challenge for the future. Diabet Med. 1993;10:897–905. CrossRef
- Jarrett RJ. Gestational diabetes. Diabet Med. 1994;11:992–3. CrossRef
- Barker DJ. Fetal origins of coronary heart disease. BMJ. 1995;311:171–4. CrossRef
- Lucas A. Programming by early nutrition: an experimental approach. J Nutr. 1998;128:401S–6.
- Sermer M, Naylor CD, Farine D, et al. The Toronto Tri Hospital Gestational Diabetes Project—a preliminary review. Diabetes Care. 1998;21 Suppl 2:B33–42.
- Seshiah V, Balaji V, Balaji MS. Diabetes and pregnancy in advancing nations: India. Chapter 17. In: Textbook of diabetes and pregnancy, 2nd ed.; 2008. pp. 135–141.
- Griffin ME et al. Universal vs. risk factor-based screening for gestational diabetes mellitus: detection rates, gestation at diagnosis and outcome. Diabet Med. 2000;17:26–32. CrossRef
- Anjalakshi C, Balaji V, et al. A single test procedure to diagnose gestational diabetes mellitus. Acta Diabetol. 2009;46:51–4. CrossRef
- Shamsuddin K, Mahdy ZA, Siti Rafiaah I, et al. Risk factor screening for abnormal glucose tolerance in pregnancy. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2001;75:27–32. CrossRef
- Soonthornpun S, Soonthornpun K, Aksonteing J, et al. A comparison between a 75-g and a 100 g oral glucose tolerance test in pregnant women. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2003;81:169–73. CrossRef
- Dornhorst A, Paterson CM, Nicholls JS, et al. High prevalence of gestational diabetes in women from ethnic minority groups. Diabet Med. 1992;9:820–5. CrossRef
- Seshiah V. DIPSI Guidelines - Kolkata Declaration. Fifth national conference of diabetes in pregnancy study group, India. J Assoc Physicians India. 2010;58:329–30.
- HAPO Study Co-operative Research Group, Metzger BE, Lowe LP, Dyer AR, Trimble ER, Chaovaridr U, et al. Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(19):1991–2002. CrossRef
- Bartha JL, Martinez-Del-Fresno P, Comino-Delgado R. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2003;109(1):41–4. CrossRef
- Gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2004;27(Suppl 1):S88–90.
- Joshi SR. Diabetes mellitus (part 2). Q Med Rev. 2003;54:2–47.
- Prevention of Diabetes Mellitus by WHO Study Group. WHO Technical Report Series 844. World Health Organization, Geneva; 1994.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(Suppl 1):S11–61.
- Seshiah V, Sahay BK, Das AK, Shah S, Banerjee S, Rao PV, et al. Gestational diabetes mellitus—Indian guidelines. J Indian Med Assoc. 2009;107:799–806.
- Gabbe SG, Gregory RP, Power ML, Williams SB, Schulkin J. Management of diabetes mellitus by obstetrician–gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol. 2004;103:1229–34. CrossRef
- Mires GJ, Williams FL, Harper V. Screening practices for gestational diabetes mellitus in UK obstetric units. Diabet Med. 1999;16:138–41. CrossRef
- Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and management of diabetes in Canada. Can J Diabetes. 2003;27(Suppl 2):1–140.
- Gabbe SG, Graves CR. Management of diabetes mellitus complicating pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2003;102:857–68. CrossRef
- Shamsuddin K, Mahdy ZA, Siti Rafiaah I, Jamil MA, Rahimah MD. Risk factor screening for abnormal glucose tolerance in pregnancy. Diabet Med. 2000;17:376–80. CrossRef
- Beischer NA, Oats JN, Henry OA, Sheedy MT, Walstab JE. Incidence and severity of gestational diabetes mellitus according to country of birth in women living in Australia. Diabetes. 1991;40:35–8. CrossRef
- Nahum GG, Wilson SB, Stanislaw H. Early-pregnancy glucose screening for gestational diabetes mellitus. J Reprod Med. 2002;47:656–62.
- Langer L, Conway DL, Berkus MD, Xenakis EMJ, Gonzales O. A comparison of glyburide and insulin in women with gestational diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:1134–8. CrossRef
- Jakubowicz DJ, Iuorno MJ, Jakubowicz S, Roberts KA, Nestler JE. Effects of metformin on early pregnancy loss in the polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:524–9. CrossRef
- Current practices of prevention, detection & management of gestational diabetes mellitus in Punjab
International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 18-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India
- 2. 5042, Afim Wali Gali, Bathinda, 151001, Punjab, India
- 3. Department of Paediatrics, Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India
- 4. Kishori Ram Hospital and Diabetes Care Centre, Kishori Ram Road, Basant Vihar, Bathinda, Punjab, India
- 5. Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India